Notre Dame on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is the walls etc are so high they can't get water in to extinguish. Unfortunately with fuel that old and heavy it will get so hot they won't be able to put it out after a certain point and it will burn to the ground.

With all that wooden scaffolding, and I presume heating devices, one would think they would have a fire watch for a historical landmark that has no dollar value. As far as the hierarchy asking for divine intervention, don't count on it.

Woke up to this as the headline on the radio news...

Absolutely horrific.

800 year old timber, with traditional polishes and oils applied over the centuries makes for a tinderbox.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Woke up to this as the headline on the radio news...

Absolutely horrific.

800 year old timber, with traditional polishes and oils applied over the centuries makes for a tinderbox.

Interesting fact Shannow. Sometimes what we do to preserve or protect can have a catastrophic result like this.

A number of years ago an old brick building downtown caught on fire. It was originally an ice plant. The walls were double layered brick with about one meter of compacted sawdust in between the brick layers. The sawdust was the insulation to keep the ice cold. Firefighters could only pour water on the structure and try to flood the layer of sawdust. The fire burned for weeks.

Heard this on NPR this afternoon and saw the event on the network news this evening.
Really sad to see the spire fall, but it was a much later addition.
The old stone of this church appears to have survived although the roof is gone.
I was surprised that there was enough combustible material in this stone structure to enable a fire of this magnitude and duration to be sustained, but I've fought structure fires of much smaller scale and it can be surprising how easily a fire can get ahead of you as well as the destruction it can quickly bring even as you pour large volumes of water onto it.
A sad day for France and the world.
I wonder what kindled this conflagration?

They say the attic area is all 800-year old wood and nicknamed "the forest".

I think, from us looking at the pictures, we forget this is a HUGE building, and a fire inside would create its own weather/ fire storm of a type not seen in a single-family house.

It sucks-- even if they put it back together the same, it won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back