2020 Mustang with 330hp 4 Cylinder Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://driving.ca/ford/mustang/aut...ce-ford-mustang-muscles-up-four-cylinder

Mustang fans rejoice: Ford is introducing a High Performance Package for the 2020 Mustang that'll pull 330 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque out of its four-cylinder engine.

Aimed at autocross drivers, this version of the entry-level Mustang with "powered by Ford Performance" enhancements uses a limited-production 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine, Mustang GT brakes and GT Performance Package suspension and aerodynamic parts.

Ford says it's the most powerful four-cylinder sports car available, and will arrive on Mustang's 55th anniversary.

The project began when Ford Performance experimented with dropping a Focus RS engine into a Mustang, and developed the final package within ten months.

The 2.3-litre engine includes a die-cast alloy block; high-performance cylinder head; larger radiator; and larger twin-scroll turbocharger compressor.

Not only does the engine make more horsepower than the Mustang's stock EcoBoost engine, but torque reaches its peak faster at 3,000 rpm, and holds to 4,500 rpm.

The package will be available on both the coupe and convertible models, and with ten-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. Zero to 96 km/h is expected to be in the mid-four-second range, with a top speed of 250 km/h.

Other enhancements include a fully active quad-tip exhaust; alloy strut tower brace; larger four-piston calipers with improved cooling; 3.55:1 limited-slip rear axle; and 19-inch wheels with summer tires. A 55-year commemorative dash plaque will be included in the interior.

The new model goes on sale this fall, with pricing yet to be announced.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Most powerful sports car? I did not know Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru StI are not sports cars.
And there is this company, what is the name, ah yeah, Mercedes-Benz that offers A45 with 2.0 liter 4cyl and 376hp and 350 lb-ft. Probably built MUCH better than Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Most powerful sports car? I did not know Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru StI are not sports cars.
And there is this company, what is the name, ah yeah, Mercedes-Benz that offers A45 with 2.0 liter 4cyl and 376hp and 350 lb-ft. Probably built MUCH better than Ford.

Mercedes built better than ford?
lol.gif
Thanks I needed a laugh today....

In fact, ever since 2007, Mercedes have not scored above average by Consumer Reports in regards to reliability. In 2014, Consumer Reports reported that the Mercedes CLA was not only the most unreliable Mercedes in the Auto Reliability Survey, but 140% worse than the average car.

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/are-mercedes-benz-reliable/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
And there is this company, what is the name, ah yeah, Mercedes-Benz that offers A45 with 2.0 liter 4cyl and 376hp and 350 lb-ft.

Yup. There is also Volvo S60/V60 Polestar - 362 HP. Or even Ford's own Focus RS - 350 HP.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Mercedes built better than ford?
lol.gif
Thanks I needed a laugh today....

In fact, ever since 2007, Mercedes have not scored above average by Consumer Reports in regards to reliability. In 2014, Consumer Reports reported that the Mercedes CLA was not only the most unreliable Mercedes in the Auto Reliability Survey, but 140% worse than the average car.

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/are-mercedes-benz-reliable/

Maybe better built in terms of quality of materials and fit and finish, not necessarily in terms of long term reliability?

Anyway, where does Ford place in this CR ranking?

Yeah but QP, that's not fair to compare a luxury brand to an economy brand for fit/finish.

As for Ford's CR rating I don't have an account to get the 2019 rankings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
This is cool and all, but I won't even consider a Mustang unless it has a V8.

Yup. A muscle car with a 4-cyl engine just does not add up in my mind.

Today's 4 cylinders with turbos can produce more power that decades ago V8's. Who cares as long as the HP output is there?

Who cares as long as the HP output is there?

Some people care about things like turbo lag or how the engine sounds.

Today's 4 cylinders with turbos can produce more power that decades ago V8's. Who cares as long as the HP output is there?

Some people like that rumble and don't wanna hear a vacuum cleaner going down the road.

Sometimes it's just about the driving experience. The funnest car I've ever driven is my aunt's 1970 VW Beetle. It's ridiculous and is like a washing machine going down the road.

The same people who said before that anything that wasn't RWD with a solid axle wasn't truly a sports car. Also that any 'real' sports car wouldn't have power windows or cruise or even automatic transmissions.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Exactly. I have seen numerous EcoBoost Mustangs with exhaust and they sound terrible, same with the V6 Raptors.

Exactly. I have seen numerous EcoBoost Mustangs with exhaust and they sound terrible, same with the V6 Raptors.

Fair enough...

Yeah but QP, that's not fair to compare a luxury brand to an economy brand for fit/finish.

I get what you're saying, but calling Ford an economy brand isn't exactly accurate.

Originally Posted by RamFan

I get what you're saying, but calling Ford an economy brand isn't exactly accurate.

Aside from their premium Lincoln division that is what I would call them no different than anyone else.

Yup. A muscle car with a 4-cyl engine just does not add up in my mind.

I have mental block with regards to how much $$ I will spend on a vehicle powered by a 4-cylinder. It doesn't matter how much power it makes because, IMO, HP is incredibly cheap to generate these days. It's one reason* why I'm leaving BMW.

*Timing chains are mounted on the rear of the current 4/6 cylinder engines and BMW is notorious for dragging their feet over timing chain issues.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

*Timing chains are mounted on the rear of the current 4/6 cylinder engines and BMW is notorious for dragging their feet over timing chain issues.

Whaat?! that's as crazy as Saab back in the day with their backward engines.

Aside from that I agree with your reasoning. Which is why I refuse to own any BMW product after the e30 in my sig.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
[BMW is notorious for dragging their feet over timing chain issues.
What are these timing chain issues? Which engines specifically do these issues pertain to?

I'm obviously not in the loop on the latest BMW engine pros/cons.

ford was having issues with their higher power focus RS + i believe the cure was the CORRECT head gasket. basically just marketing bull as the 2.0 VW gen 3 engine with an APR stage I tune running required 93 octane makes 316 hp + 381 TQ, of course your warranty is moot. turbo DI engines can easily make a lot more power with a good tune IF the internals are up to it, drivetrain as well must be good + generally the manual trannied cars get more tuned power as most slush boxes are NOT up to it. that xtra go is $700 + easily downloaded into your ECU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back