New F-150, Silverado, or Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dbias
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by atikovi
Probably need more specifics like do you want gas or diesel, 1/2 3/4 1 ton, basic or fully loaded. Personally I think it's ridiculous they have these loaded $70K+ trucks but apparently they are selling. I'd look for a 2 or 3 year old model and put the $20-$30K savings to better use, but that's not what you asked. Nobody makes a bad truck so it boils down to what floats your boat more than anything else.

Gas (regular).
1/2 ton.
Mid level package.

I will very rarely tow, if at all.
Looking for Value (bang for the buck, not just looking for the "cheapest one"), then ride quality, then overall reliability.
I do not want an overload of the latest high tech features. One with more basic accessories would be fine.

Id by a low mile 2017 off lease

It's about a $4,000.00 difference. Figure that in to your loan-and the difference isn't that great. Take a walk on a Dealers used section-and you will see prices that will surprise you.

Last edited:
I think it really comes down to brand preference as they're all good trucks. I prefer Ford and am on my second F150. I had a 2011 XLT crew cab with the 3.5 Ecoboost. The truck was flawless, especially when compared to the 2004 Chevy Silverado I had previously. I purchased a 2018 F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost and it too has been nearly flawless. The doors don't always latch in the winter which is unacceptable. I love the power and economy of the 2.7 and10 speed transmission and would buy another in a heartbeat. I'd also consider a Ram. The magazines rave about them, but they only drive them brand new. I'm concerned with long-term reliabllility.

I'd get the one that doesn't have cylinder deactivation and that would be the Ford 2.7 Turbo. A guy at the Costco gas station said his is pretty fast and accelerates real strong; and that's comparing it to his other car which is a Corvette.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I'd get the one that doesn't have cylinder deactivation and that would be the Ford 2.7 Turbo. A guy at the Costco gas station said his is pretty fast and accelerates real strong; and that's comparing it to his other car which is a Corvette.

Ford has had issues with the Eco-boost as well.

Last edited:
Ford uses the 2.7 in some of their Lincolns as well. But if the OP can drop down a size class the trucks get a lot more economical and comfortable to drive. The Honda Ridgeline is a pickup truck crossover. Think of it as an Odyssey with the back cut off. The Ford Ranger is another option. Both have smaller beds and are more car like.

There's only 2 choices, Ford or GM. Ram is "pretty" but unreliable (says nearly all the sources that track that sort of thing). GM may give the best discounts as the new ones are not getting good reviews - they basically phoned it in and it shows.

Ford has the the most powertrain offerings, EB 3.5 is a Beast, EB 2.7 is a mid level rocket, and the Diesel should be more reliable than the EcoDiesel if that turd is still being offered. Nothing wrong with the newer EB's although the early 3.5's did not tolerate neglect as well as they should have.

GM has the best "old school" powertrains and you can't go wrong with any of their V8's. The only GM powertrain that is iffy is the Turbo 4 as it seems to get worse fuel economy than the V6 it replaced.

Resale is better on Ford and GM too although none can match Toyota.

It all depends on your priorities. If you want reliability, Ford, GM, or Toyota (that's in no order). If you want a "pretty boy truck", get a Ram. If you want a hard worker, flip the coin on GM or Ford. If you want best resale, Toyota. It all depends on your priorites.

Last edited:
RAM.

They are so much better now and the public is catching on because RAM sales are eating at the #2 spot Chevy holds. The new GM trucks are not at all interesting to me with their ugly styling and cheap plastic interiors. I have a RAM LIMITED that is hands down the better truck, amazing interior, air ride and other features. I love it. This truck came after my Denali Pickup for comparison.

I think the 2019 ram is a real winner.

3.6L or 5.7

IIRC the 3.6 is port injection that probably makes some bitog'ers drool.

itguy08 mentioned priorities. I'm wondering if anyone considers crash test results when buying a pickup truck. Or do you just figure that a full size truck will be fine in a collision?

I never used to care, but nowadays my family drives my pickup much more than me and I want them to have a good chance should something horrible happen. I know freak things happen, but if one vehicle has a better chance of preventing injuries (or death) in a crash,
I'd be more inclined to buy it. I'm no expert and not able to say which is best, but it's something I'll consider in my next truck purchase.

I've had good luck with F150s since I bought my first new one in 1989 and they've always appealed to me in the subjective categories. I also have a great small town dealer that comes into consideration for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dustyroads
itguy08 mentioned priorities. I'm wondering if anyone considers crash test results when buying a pickup truck. Or do you just figure that a full size truck will be fine in a collision?

I never used to care, but nowadays my family drives my pickup much more than me and I want them to have a good chance should something horrible happen. I know freak things happen, but if one vehicle has a better chance of preventing injuries (or death) in a crash,
I'd be more inclined to buy it. I'm no expert and not able to say which is best, but it's something I'll consider in my next truck purchase.

I've had good luck with F150s since I bought my first new one in 1989 and they've always appealed to me in the subjective categories. I also have a great small town dealer that comes into consideration for me.

Full-size pickup trucks and SUVs have historically been very safe. I think any of the big 3 are good choices if you value your family's safety.

Last edited:
When they hit a car - but that stiff frame is not your friend when you hit a concrete culvert ...

I'd take a look at the Nissan Titan if you haven't yet. Some dealers still have a few leftover brand new 2018's with sizeable rebates. My buddy just bought one in SV trim, crew cab 4x4 very nicely optioned for $33k out the door. They also have the best warranty out of all the 1/2 ton trucks on the market right now. The 5.6 got a nice bump in power for the 2016 and up too.

Something I don't get ... guy at work has first Ram and is freaking out over the things the FCA/dealership needs it back for sorting out ... (emails come in often)

Originally Posted by dogememe

Full-size pickup trucks and SUVs have historically been very safe. I think any of the big 3 are good choices if you value your family's safety.

Yes, I understand the Toyota Tundra just got a downgrade on crash test ratings from Consumer Reports.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/toyota...on-after-disappointing-crash-test-result

The Tundra and Titan are not going to be options for me, although I know they have thier attributes as well.

The mid sized Ridgeline and Ranger are also not option because on occasion, I need seating for six grown adults (my three grown children and one daughters husband). The truck will have to be a full size crew cab. Thats why ride quality is a top priority. I currently drive a 2005 Silverado CC.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Something I don't get ... guy at work has first Ram and is freaking out over the things the FCA/dealership needs it back for sorting out ... (emails come in often)

I am thinking if I go for a Ram, I need to wait until the 2020 model comes out. No matter how fine a truck it is, the first year model of anything usually needs some kinks worked out;.

IMO you won't find a better ride with better seats than the Ram. The interior is also excellent and the U-Connect system is bar none the best offered.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you. I had pretty much determined that i was going to get a Tundra. Even though I hated the gas mileage, I pretty much settled on the idea that I would get one.

I was planning to purchase this summer, then back in December, I found that Chevy was discounting trucks to get them off the lot. I picked up a Silverado LT Z71 for about $16,700 off sticker. I'm pretty sure they're still discounting the 2018's too. My neighbor across the street just brought home a 2018 Sierra a week ago.

I've had my Silverado almost 4 months now and LOVE it so far.

Just a note: I have 3 F150's (2 for work, one for me) . Mostly because I find the seats the most agreeable. A V8, a 3.5EB and a 2.7EB. All SuperCrew. (I drive 30K-40K miles/year, so seat comfort is number 1 for me) The new Ram is good, and I'll consider one. Just came back from an international trip with the 2018 F150 and at no point was I uncomfortable. That's saying a lot!

The V8 has a 87 octane tune and is by far, the most pleasant to live with. Smooth and instant response.
The 3.5EB engine sounds and feels like a UPS truck. I find it unpleasant on longer trips.
The 2.7EB engine is a jewel. Smooth, fast and very powerful. Gets the best MPG by far at about 21-22MPG with me driving.

The 2018 4x4 with 2.7 and 10sp transmission had a very annoying jittery/rubbery ride when new. I wondered how I was going to live with it. HOWEVER, it has settled in and rides extremely well now.

I may purchase another in the near future. I'll probably get another 2.7L. As much as I like the V8, the newer ones "may" not be as robust, with the spray on cylinder bore liners.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back