How good are nokian tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN

There are more than several accounts of dry rot. How do you account for that? Some of us-think it's chemical composition change from their previous way they formulated and/or manufactured their tire.

This is where it would be nice if we had a polling function. IIRC, CapriRacer chimed in on this a while back and discussed the "preservative" oils that were supposed to work their way out of the tire to prevent UV damage/dry rot and that the lack of this happening was what caused it on vehicles that weren't driven much. The member I recall having the issue was Nick1994 IIRC, on a family vehicle that wasn't driven often (his Grandma's maybe?) and the tires would rot off way before they wore out.

Again, i've never personally experienced the issue in 25 years of using their tires, nor have any of my family members, so either it isn't as prevalent as some of you want to believe it is, or there are other factors in play here like infrequent driving, excessive UV exposure or combinations of those things that perhaps certain Michelin tires are simply less tolerant of than other brands. And perhaps one should keep that in mind when shopping. That has absolutely zero bearing on their performance as discussed in my post you quoted however.

Personally, I'm not going to spend north of 2 grand on OEM tires that wore out in two summers when I can get a much better Michelin tire for 1/2 the price. My vehicles are driven regularly and in a manner where tire performance is important. If Ethel is driving back and forth to Walgreens and putting 5,000 miles a year on her Camry, perhaps a set of Michelins aren't the best choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michs get mixed review in my inner circle … they chip on some of our gravel roads … and if you are not a high mileage driver they don't always age gracefully in the south.

But at 23k, Michs on our Tahoe look new and are smooth tires … handle rain just fine …

However, they will never be on my Z71 since it sees way more time off the pavement …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Michs get mixed review in my inner circle … they chip on some of our gravel roads … and if you are not a high mileage driver they don't always age gracefully in the south.

But at 23k, Michs on our Tahoe look new and are smooth tires … handle rain just fine …

However, they will never be on my Z71 since it sees way more time off the pavement …

Yes, they don't make a great Michelin-branded real off-road tire. The LTX A/T was a joke
lol.gif
basically just a poor alternative to the M/S, which I believe did everything better. I do recall the BFG All-terrain being decent though? Never used them personally. There are certainly a number of situations where a Michelin may not be the best, or even a good choice. But for the OP's Dart, it's the personal aversion to the available product (I'm sure there is a Pilot in that size) rather than a lack of suitability.

I made a little dig at Jarlaxle above (primarily because he's trolling my SRT Michelin thread, which is fine) but truly, I believe we simply have different expectations as to tire performance. The GoodYear Eagle RSA's I had on my SRT Charger were, in my opinion, absolute garbage, and were an obviously inferior tire when compared to the A/S3 that were on my wife's R/T. However, he was extremely fond of them and impressed by their performance on whatever he had them on. Subsequently, I get the impression that many of the tires that have left me soundly unimpressed would be deemed quite serviceable by others.

Yes ... BFG and Cooper are well known in the off-road world. I have certainly had better luck with aftermarket GY's -vs- the low end stuff on new vehicles - but worst factory tire for me were Hankooks ... Hydroplaned too much and put them to curb early. The GY Eagle GT did better on that CUV ...

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yes ... BFG and Cooper are well known in the off-road world. I have certainly had better luck with aftermarket GY's -vs- the low end stuff on new vehicles - but worst factory tire for me were Hankooks ... Hydroplaned too much and put them to curb early. The GY Eagle GT did better on that CUV ...

thumbsup2.gif
I of course mentioned BFG because they are a Michelin brand
grin.gif

I agree on the Hankooks, I have the iPike snows on the Jeep and while I would call them a "serviceable" tire, about their only truly redeeming feature is their deep snow performance. Everything else is "meh".

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 4WD

thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

I agree on the Hankooks, I have the iPike snows on the Jeep and while I would call them a "serviceable" tire, about their only truly redeeming feature is their deep snow performance. Everything else is "meh".

Well Hankook definiately made some progress. When I had W300 snows, it was "accident waiting to happen" performance category.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by 4WD

thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

Well Hankook definiately made some progress. When I had W300 snows, it was "accident waiting to happen" performance category.

When I had W300 snows, the only accident waiting to happen is when I was pushing the tire too hard for the conditions. But that is the case for any tire. Even the best tires have its limits.

The W300 was great in the cold dry, with its lateral grip. Wet, I don't drive hard on the wet. Never tried to break traction, on a modified ECU car. Got me through plenty of blizzards in a lowered FWD car (much like your CC)

The only case of the near accident was some understeer in slush, but that was pushing the tire too hard for the conditions. Once the speed tapered down, it regained traction and the steering line.

I had the Nokian WR G3's also, which I used on the old car (the car which the CC is based on), in the winter with no issues. Did what it supposed to do in the cold dry and cold wet, did what it supposed to do in the snow. Was it supposed to perform like a Hakka R2, Blizzak, or Xice snow/ice? Of course not. It's not what it was designed for, it's part of the trade-off you choose when you select a tire.

Now that the Nitto SN-2's are toast... I look forward to getting a set of Nokian WR G4 SUV's.

W300 were absolute POS, but also take into consideration that is comparatively speaking to tires like Continental TS, Good Year Ultra Grip and some other that I used in Europe back than. Anyway, that is when I finished with Hankook.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by 4WD

thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

I have Hankook I-pike snow tires for my Subaru. They are downright dangerous on anything slippery, slushy or hard packed. I posted a review about them a while back. While leaving a stoplight in a snow storm, a Nissan Versa with all seasons out accelerated my Subaru on these tires. And forget about stopping or going more than 15 in slush.

They work okay in the mud and in deep snow as long as there's nothing hard packed or slippery.

I'm going to off load them this spring and get myself a competent set of Nokians.

I haven't put many tires onto my truck, but I do know iPikes work way better than LTX's did in snow.

I have some Hankcook Dynaopro ATM's on it right now and I'm starting to think they were a mistake, it spins too easily on dirt I think. I honestly don't drive it enough and really don't know what tires I should run anymore on it, these days tires will just age out and rot out due to sitting in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back