K&N micron filtration info conveniently "not available"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't use K&N filters of any kind, but I know some people like them. I was curious as to how good or bad their filtration is, so decided to try and find the data on the filtration capability of K&N oil filters. I "chatted" with K&N online and the conversation went like this:

[4/15/2019, 7:07:11 AM] Demi: Hello Ed, welcome to Live Chat. How may I assist you today?

[4/15/2019, 7:07:38 AM] Ed: Can you give me the filtration specifications of this filter: https://www.knfilters.com/oil-filters/cars-and-trucks/ps-7027-oil-filter

[4/15/2019, 7:08:19 AM] Demi: Each K&N oil filter is tested to verify that they meet or surpass the requirements of the vehicle manufacturer. However, at this time the micron rating test information about our oil filters is not available.

[4/15/2019, 7:09:44 AM] Ed: Seriously??? K&N doesn't have micron filtration stats???

[4/15/2019, 7:09:54 AM] Demi: Each K&N oil filter is tested to verify that they meet or surpass the requirements of the vehicle manufacturer.

[4/15/2019, 7:10:26 AM] Ed: That's really easy to say when you won't supply PROOF to consumers.

[4/15/2019, 7:10:41 AM] Demi: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

[4/15/2019, 7:11:01 AM] Ed: Nope. You've told me everything I need to know about K&N filters.

I can only believe that K&N filters are pretty lame which is why they don't disclose this information to consumers.

Ed

Originally Posted by Marco620
KN
Knows Nothing

No they just aren't giving you any information that won't support the price of the high priced filter.

K&n is one well made filter. Made in the USA again by champion labs. Efficiency is probably on par with the Mobil 1 before they extended thieir suggested use of up to 20,000 miles or 1 year so probably just pretty efficient. The k$n is really just a couple dollars more than Mobil 1 or Fu now. Some applications are less$$ even.
If ya need a super strong long life filter that's plenty efficient k&n is a good choice in my books.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
K&n is one well made filter. Made in the USA again by champion labs. Efficiency is probably on par with the Mobil 1 before they extended thieir suggested use of up to 20,000 miles or 1 year so probably just pretty efficient. The k$n is really just a couple dollars more than Mobil 1 or Fu now. Some applications are less$$ even.
If ya need a super strong long life filter that's plenty efficient k&n is a good choice in my books.

I'm a "facts and figures" sort of guy, so (no disrespect intended) "probably on par with the Mobil 1"...has zero value to me. Conversely, Fram Extra Guard (PH) is 95% at 20 micron, and the Tough Guard (TG) and Ultra are 99% at 20 micron. The data is listed right on their website.

I can only believe that K&N isn't proud of their filtration rates or they would freely disclose them..

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko

I'm a "facts and figures" sort of guy, so (no disrespect intended) "probably on par with the Mobil 1"...has zero value to me. Conversely, Fram Extra Guard (PH) is 95% at 20 micron, and the Tough Guard (TG) and Ultra are 99% at 20 micron. The data is listed right on their website.

I can only believe that K&N isn't proud of their filtration rates or they would freely disclose them..

Ed

No offense taken. It is preferable that they provide that info to me but I'm not as sold into the efficiency marketing as some people are.
I do appreciate a well mad filter. If it meets or exceeds oe specs, I don't see a real issue.

t I'm not as sold into the efficiency marketing as some people are.
I do appreciate a well mad filter. If it meets or exceeds oe specs, I don't see a real issue.

You should be (if you are on BITOG ..lol
[Linked Image]

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30697/choose-oil-filter

If I recall correctly, K&N was always known for a "high throughput" oil filter and sacrificed efficiency for flow. I assume that is still th case and would only use one in a situation where that was critical, ie the track.

Originally Posted by Boomer
If I recall correctly, K&N was always known for a "high throughput" oil filter and sacrificed efficiency for flow. I assume that is still th case and would only use one in a situation where that was critical, ie the track.

Same thing they do with their junk Air filters.

K&N filters, both air and oil, are quality filters.

If they're wrong for your application, they're wrong for your application. Don't use them.

they just aren't giving you any information that won't support the price of the high priced filter.

They ARE selling that nifty nut on the bottom.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
K&N filters, both air and oil, are quality filters.

If they're wrong for your application, they're wrong for your application. Don't use them.

This^

Originally Posted by Boomer

K & N oil filters are now banned by a number of motorcycle road racing organizations ... too many leaks / failures, most from the welded on nut ...

Again, no disrespect intended, but for those of you who think K&N are quality filters (oil, air, etc.)...how do you conclude that if K&N will offer no statistics?

I've seen K&N oil filters dissected and I agree that the container sheet metal looks sturdy, blah, blah, blah, but aren't you curious about their actual performance as it relates to protecting your engine? *I* just think K&N is doing themselves a disservice by not offering such data.

Ed

I went with K&N oil filters for my Ducati 696 because it was less expensive than the OEM Ducati oil filters. I did have a gasket leakage issue with a whole batch of the K&N filters. They replaced them for me with new filters. The leaky filters would just continuously leak around the gasket no matter how much I tightened the filters.

No offense taken. It is preferable that they provide that info to me but I'm not as sold into the efficiency marketing as some people are.

That part you don't know. Do they meet or exceed the OEM requirement for filtering efficiency?

Originally Posted by kschachn

That part you don't know. Do they meet or exceed the OEM requirement for filtering efficiency?

LOL and someone hits the nail on the head!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back