2012 Regal rear calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried doing my wife's rear brakes last weekend and could not get the calipers to compress, it is the type where you use a tool to turn the piston in to retract into the bore.
I have done a couple other GM cars with no problem but these just turn and turn but do not retract. The only thing I can think of is to maybe try to put more pressure on them while turning because it was awkward trying to do so with the caliper just sitting on top the bracket. It has the electronic parking brake but not solenoids at the wheel, just cables like our old Malibu.
How much pressure should it take to get them to go in? Maybe I will just get new calipers? I think there may be a tool that fits into the caliper support that turns and puts pressure at the same time?

Thanks, that looks like what I was thinking.
So the problem was you have to push in pretty good and turn at the same time?

I thought they just twisted in? That is what they did on the only setup I had with that. But that car would always have one that was hard to turn in--so I wound up replacing calipers each time I did rear brakes. Car was known for that issue.

I wonder if road salt has done yours in.

Originally Posted by supton
I thought they just twisted in? That is what they did on the only setup I had with that. But that car would always have one that was hard to turn in--so I wound up replacing calipers each time I did rear brakes. Car was known for that issue.

I wonder if road salt has done yours in.

Yea , I never had a problem with my 04 Malibu, they just turned and went right in, these turn forever but do not retract. That is why I thought maybe they need to have more pressure on them and be turned at the same time. I think I will get the tool from a store and try one side before I get everything apart again. If still no luck maybe new calipers. Car only has 47,000 miles and the calipers are not corroded on the outside at all.

You can borrow the caliper tool from Autozone, or buy one cheap at Harbor Freight or Amazon.

If you end up needing new calipers, the good news is that you can still get brand new non-reman OEM calipers at a good price.

Kind of odd that you're getting the caliper piston to rotate, but it's not threading in? It's just beyond catching on the 1st thread maybe?

In regards to the tool.. I've got one. It's the universal block/cube type you can operate with a socket wrench or wrench of your choice. Have it and never used it!

My cousin and I did the brakes , last fall , on his 2005 Buick Lacrosse . Ran into this on the rear brakes . Went into the house and came back with a pair of Channel Locks . Screwed the piston in and all is well . Be careful & do not pinch / tear the rubber " boot " . All was well .

Once upon a time , I had to do this on a Chevy Lumina sedan , we had .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back