Why does this board constantly log me off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's basically what I see and it's broken. You (or I or others) didn't read those threads, we just visited and maybe, just maybe saw the thread titles.

I don't do any other forums near as often as here, by a long shot. So, whatever technical behaviour I see on BITOG I consider as the de facto "normal." And then, when anything changes, I complain that it's "abnormal."
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by JustinH
Yall don't have Lastpass or chrome auto fill for everything?

Lastpass is the ______!
thumbsup2.gif

SteveC, sorry to go in a different direction with this thread, but I just noticed your signatue, and it actually made me LOL!
lol.gif

I'm referring to the part that states;
There is no such thing as "lifetime" fluids!
mad.gif

Did you have to find this out the hard way?
27.gif

No, just tired of OE's pretending like certain fluids don't need to be changed.

Last edited:
I still use Internet Explorer and about every four weeks I get logged off of this site. The cure is to go to IE tools/ internet options/ advanced/ and then reset or restore IE settings.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I only get logged off when I delete my browsing data.

It will also log you off if you delete browser cookies.

Originally Posted by Garak
I don't do any other forums near as often as here, by a long shot. So, whatever technical behaviour I see on BITOG I consider as the de facto "normal." And then, when anything changes, I complain that it's "abnormal."
wink.gif

Completely understand - it's what you're used to. Personally, I'm a techno-junkie geek and a member at more forums than I can remember plus am active at quite a few of them. There are definitely a couple of popular, well-known forum software systems out there so I base my "normal" experience on those and how they behave. This software, UBB, well, it's different.... I'll just leave it at that.

The logging people out issue has went on here for quite some time. Typically it happens every so often, people shrug their shoulders, and figure it was a glitch or something they did and move on. Here, it happens often enough that people create threads about it. It's done it to me enough times and too often, it logs me out of my work browser, home browser, and phone browser at the same time (or a 12-24 hour time period). If I got logged out of one device and not the others, I wouldn't think anything of it. When it happens with all of my browsers, I'm 99% confident that's a system setting (the website "system", not mine).

I do go to other forums; just not reading to the depth I do here. A couple forums I have over the years, but they were significantly smaller. I spend some time at the Ubuntu forums if I'm stumped about something, but not to sit there and keep up on threads like I do here. So, unfortunately, I just don't know what I'd expect at other forums. My forum usage pattern was shaped in the bulletin board days. I log in, read what I want, then log off. This board does approximate bulletin board behaviour that I have come across back in the day. Back then, of course, issues with what was read and unread could crop up as well.

The logging out issue hasn't been just for some time, I think it's been for years.
wink.gif
Like I've said before, I always log out when I'm done here. I'd have no choice anyhow given how I set up my browser.

Someone who is curious might want to inspect the relevant BITOG cookies. Is it possible that they're not set to expire after a week or a month after issue, but given a certain date and time to expire on? If you're finding yourself logged out on all devices that closely in time and with all browsers, could it be something like that?

Someone who is curious might want to inspect the relevant BITOG cookies. Is it possible that they're not set to expire after a week or a month after issue, but given a certain date and time to expire on? If you're finding yourself logged out on all devices that closely in time and with all browsers, could it be something like that?

That's specifically what I think it's related to and it's not a browser-specific cookie, it's an account-specific cookie that's "sync'd" across whatever browser one uses.

Looking at the cookies this site has dropped in my browser, let's see if I get auto-logged out on the 28th of this month....

Last edited:
Of course, I haven't checked cookies for years and now Firefox makes it difficult.
wink.gif
I have seen time specific cookies on certain financial institutions' websites. It never applied to me because of my browsing habits, but it did apply to a business partner.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

That's specifically what I think it's related to and it's not a browser-specific cookie, it's an account-specific cookie that's "sync'd" across whatever browser one uses.

Not in my experience.

If I log into BITOG on my PC on Monday, I will need to re-log back in on this PC the following Monday.
If I log into BITOG on my tablet on Wed, I will need to re-log back in on this tablet the following Wed.

So this is device/browser specific, not account specific.

However, some browsers (e.g. Firefox) have a syncing feature that sync various things across all your devices, so I'm not sure if this impacts this, although I don't think they sync cookies. Google Chrome has an add-on that can sync cookies across all your devices.

I'm using Opera (Chrome based engine) and have it synced across my devices so this might be why I never get logged out. I'm logged in from the road, my office, and home and never have an issue.

I'm running Firefox. My current cookie expires May 16, so I will see what happens. It seems like it's been months since I was asked to log in.

If I recall correctly, Firefox cookies can be governed by certain user settings, including setting expiry, though I've never really tried, since I delete them all the time. Quattro Pete, are you finding a specific one week length of log in, or was that just a hypothetical example?

That's 6 years ago. I can confidently say that I do not get logged out weekly. It lasts longer than that for certain.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
So this is device/browser specific, not account specific.

However, some browsers (e.g. Firefox) have a syncing feature that sync various things across all your devices, so I'm not sure if this impacts this, although I don't think they sync cookies. Google Chrome has an add-on that can sync cookies across all your devices.
Interesting..... I use Google Chrome and I "login" to Chrome as well. This syncs a lot of different things but I don't know all that it syncs. I know, for example, if I change the theme on my laptop, the next time I run Chrome on my work computer, the theme changes. Same with extensions/add-ons. Add one on one machine, it gets added to the other.

I can't reproduce the logoffs. I use Chrome exclusively and haven't been logged off in a couple years. The one solution I can offer is that I use CCleaner (free version) on a regular basis to clean the browser cache, maybe give that a try?

Originally Posted by wwillson
I can't reproduce the logoffs. I use Chrome exclusively and haven't been logged off in a couple years. The one solution I can offer is that I use CCleaner (free version) on a regular basis to clean the browser cache, maybe give that a try?

I too use Chrome exclusively and the FREE version of CCLEANER. I have been using both of these for several years now with no problems. Before, I had used IE & FIREFOX, and had nothing but problems. Chrome and CCLEANER is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back