MC FL-910S Cut Open from 2.0L EB

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came out of my Fusion yesterday. Filter was installed on 1/7/19 and was paired with Amsoil Signature 5W30. Filter has about 6,830 miles on it. Some of the pleats are wavy but I did not see any tears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Agree, I ordered an oil filter cutter from Speedway yesterday.
I've used MC filters for years and years without one single problem. So I want look inside for myself and see what's up.

I have been using the Mc FL 910S for years in my Fords and my Craftsman riding mower. They always look great.

DI Ecoboost looks to be hard on the oil, lots of carbon from fuel dilution. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
DI Ecoboost looks to be hard on the oil, lots of carbon from fuel dilution. Thanks for the C&P.

I didn't know carbon came from fuel dilution !!thanks.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Carbon comes from the soot of incomplete combustion.

That's basically what I meant by fuel dilution. It's very fuel rich incomplete combustion gasses being blown past the rings and going into the oil. Anyone ever looked at the tailpipe of a turbo DI vehicle? There's usually lots of exhaust soot build-up inside the tailpipe.

This is definitely the worst I've seen in terms of color. I've run as long as 9k oci and it hasn't been this bad. The strong smell of gas in oil was disappointing. I do realize that this oil was run in the winter without an catch can (this isn't my first winter though) so I expected higher than normal fuel dilution. This really hasn't been a problem in the past since I've done oil analysis for previous oil changes and none have had such a strong gas odor. Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting more blow-by through the rings due to age? cold weather?

The sample of this oil is in my car right now and I'll be taking it to post office later.

A new FL910S filter went back in with 5.7 quarts of Amsoil Signature 5W30. For the first 97.5k, this engine has had a mostly steady diet of MC FS 5W30. Since 97.5k, I have been experimenting with other oils to see how they compare to MC FS. My methodology is to run back to back oil changes of a certain oil before switching to a different type. I chose to run 2 consecutive oci's because that would allow the oil to be used during cold and hot weather and give me more than just a single data point so I could develop some sort of trend. At 97.5k and 105k oci, I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30. At 112.5 and currently at 120k, I am running Amsoil Signature. I decided to keep the filters and oil grades the same in order to keep as many variables constant as I can. My next oci will most likely be Castrol Magnatec 5W30.

I was about to ask if you had tried magnatec. Its what I've been using in my parents escape with the 1.6 eco and appears to be doing alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back