Squirrely front end, knocking after tire change

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Santafe XL.
Had new tires put on, 4 wheel balance+alignment a week before my 1500+ mile trip. After the change the brakes shake when using them, like warped pads. Theyre newer and had no issues prior. Half way to Florida, 90+mph the ride was straight and smooth (minus braking)

The second half of the trip, a knocking can now be felt on the gas pedal when slightly letting off at cruising speeds, but not always. (Brakes?) The front end seems to wander and wind will blow the car out of the lane. The wheel lugs are tight, sway bar links etc seem fine. They shouldn't have touched the brakes, any ideas what may be going on?

My wife had a similar problem with her Chevy Equinox. I pulled the front wheels and the driver side rotor "screw", was backed out about 3/4 of an inch. I put some blue locktite on it and snugged it up, problem solved. The right side was fine, but makes a weird noise every now and then because the metal tabs the pad slides on gets rusty and causes them to chatter. A little grease helps for a while, but it will start again after a month or so.,,

Try cleaning the back of the wheels and the hole and the hub with a wire wheel in a drill. A little never seize will help keep the corrosion away.

Tire pressure set above normal?

Sounds like you got a bad job. I would get it on a lift. Also. check CV and halfshafts.

I would say 8 out of 10 alignments I've had made the car steer worse.And Inproper tire balance will cause odd resonant shakes at certain wheel speeds. Most shops over toe the car. I like total toe between 0.05 - 0.10 deg IN.

Did you really need a balance and alignment?

I dont like doing ANY service before a trip unless somethings REALLY messed up - even then there's not a good chance it will be fixed. correctly along the New England Coast.

90mph? Jet tripper.
smile.gif

Last edited:
All of your symptoms point to a loose wheel. The lugs may be tight, but debris, rust, something is interfering with the hub-wheel fit.

Take each wheel off, clean it up. Remount it.

Do it today.

Don't drive like this.

Another reason for squirrely handling is sagging springs. I had a car that lost an inch of ride height. New springs solved the squirrely handling.

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
My wife had a similar problem with her Chevy Equinox. I pulled the front wheels and the driver side rotor "screw", was backed out about 3/4 of an inch. I put some blue locktite on it and snugged it up, problem solved. The right side was fine, but makes a weird noise every now and then because the metal tabs the pad slides on gets rusty and causes them to chatter. A little grease helps for a while, but it will start again after a month or so.,,

Are you talking about the little screw that holds the rotor to the hub ?

If so , rhe wheel & lug nuts will hold the rotor on just fine . If you are having problems , leave the screw / screws off .

Check for over and under tightened lug nuts. And tire pressure.

Personally, I would loosen and retighten all the lug nuts.

Over tightened nuts can cause rotor distortion.

I messed up my own rotor once by overtightening a wheel.
I had a misconception about torque wrenches dating back to my childhood (I swear my dad had one that spun once the target torque was reached) and ended up giving myself an expensive repair to pay for...

Originally Posted by knerml
Check for over and under tightened lug nuts. And tire pressure.

Personally, I would loosen and retighten all the lug nuts.

Over tightened nuts can cause rotor distortion.

This, a good place to start.

I dont like doing ANY service before a trip unless somethings REALLY messed up

This so true. I'll do the pre trip servicing weeks before leaving just to make sure all's well and settled in before setting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back