latest choices of diesel oils for common sump bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
purely out of curiosity for upcoming oil changes on my v star 250...what are popular choices amongst the latest diesel oils for use in common sump bikes (wet clutch application)? thanks...

I would like to try the new Rotella 15w-40 full syn, but I still have a jug of the old T6, and I just bought some Maxima 20w-50.

So, I will have to live vicariously through other bitogers

Originally Posted by Diesel12
Rotella T6 5w-40 is available everywhere and its cost effective. Schaeffer makes a good V-twin oil for bikes with wet clutch.
https://www.schaefferoil.com/vtwin-oil.html Seems to be really popular on harley forums.

No and no.
5w40 in a common sump has a tendency to shear rapidly, and the Schaeffer is not for clutches with fiber plates. It is popular on Harley forums because they are not shared sump bikes (for the most part).
Rotella 15w40 is probably the most popular cheerleader from the diesel side of oils. Valvoline Premium Blue is good but I found a different clutch feel with it. Grabby. Someone will chime in about Delvac... I don't care for it all after the CK-4 reformulation. But if that's all there was... fill and ride.
Valvoline MC oil is effective and cheap.
There are a couple of folks here that like VR-1 straight 40 weight in common sump bikes. No shear, very good performance. Currently 4.99 a quart at NAPA. That will be the next fill in my out of warranty Can-Am Spyder (dry sump, hydraulic shift, wet clutch).

Last edited:
For that little bike, I would grab a jug of Supertech 15w-40.

I have used it in my VT1100 in the past, and when I am done with my 6 gallons of clearance Peak 15w-40, it is what I will use again.

My 2nd choice would be Rotella T4 15w-40.

I have 4 gallons of T6 5w-40 in my stash, but will not be using it in the bike, have heard way too many complaints about shifting issues and such with it (not a lot, but when compared to T4 and even Supertech, there are more).

so far choices look good...

supertech, rotella t4, delvac readily available; schaeffers, mystik are not nearby; nearest walmarts dropped valvoline mc oils (aap & autozone have them at nearly $7/qt); valvoline premium blue is not always on sale at local napa, aap, autozone

Yes the Valvoline is very hard to come by at Walmart anymore, you used to be able to find Valvoline full synthetic & Castrol semi-syn, there is a Super Walmart that is in the area so I used to buy them at that store, last time I went I cleaned their shelf of the Valvoline 10w40, the bottle farthest in the back had some serious dust and was the old style label so I know it's been there for quite awhile. The Castrol was a deal though, I know it's not full synthetic but was a lot cheaper though in comparison and currently have their 10w40 in my Ninja 650. Walmart now has their Super Tech motorcycle oil's on the shelf now, it's available in 10w40 & 20w50, also in their stores around me they have Mobil 1 and Lucas motorcycle oils. The Super Tech is $8 qt and I'm sure it's fine oil but at that price I'd rather pay just a smidgen more for the Valvoline or Castrol full synthetic, when you can find them on sale they are in the $7.99-$8.99 range per quart.

I found that Autozone had Castrol full synthetic on sale so I've cleaned all those out too, also ran into an old bottle with a ton of dust that said power rs on the label... honestly these old bottles like this should be marked down as it's old and therefore an older formula. I also bought 4 gallons of Delo xle 10w30 and one of them was the old bottle that was blue and sm rated, the newer jugs are grey or silver in color and sn rated, it was the exact same price but the lawn mower won't mind.

I don't know if I'd run the Delo oil's in a common shared sump, the ones I've seen are sn rated and they don't rate them for jaso ma that some of the Shell oils have, if I was to run an oil that wasn't certified I'd be ready to dump it out and have something else on hand to put back in.

Last edited:
appreciate suggestions about bike oils yet running the really good stuff gets expensive hence my inquiry about hdeo's; using non jaso ma-,ma2 rated oils...I've been cheating by using various pcmo's and hdeo's for the past several years; I'm also guilty of frankenbrewing leftover oils together (mostly for the last oil change of the year...limited riding in fall, winter storage, spring riding); I change out early to act as an engine flush;

the frankenbrewing has worked good overall with 4 different common sump bikes I have owned, yet I get tired of chasing my tail (trying to remember what is in it, did I add a quart of hdeo to thicken it, etc) so I want to use straight hdeo for warmer months and perhaps a good pcmo with a generic formula for the last oil change each year; another consideration...whatever the bike gets also goes in the scoot (owner's manual & info tags on scoot call for 15w-40 & American service manual calls for 10w-40 motorcycle or scooter oil); the oil in the scoot services the engine case only...the transmission is a cvt with belt & inertial roller torque transfer mechanism

Last edited:
If I was going to run an all-fleet or diesel oil, it would not be Rotella 5W40. That shears too badly for my preference. I also probably wouldn't run any Chevron (Delo) product, though I'd like to, because when I asked Chevron last month they said they offer no MA-compliant oils at all (they may have specified within North America or something; I don't recall). The Schaeffer product page is confusing because it says it meeds JASO MA2, but also says it is NOT recommended for motorcycles or ATVs that require JASO MA or MB oils. Finally, that Schaeffer oil says it is for fiber clutches _only_, so you need to know whether you have sintered bronze clutch plates, I guess, so that you know when to not use it.

All that said, I run a 'motorcycle oil,' and don't feel particularly bad about it, even though my bike is rather low power density and pedestrian. It's a highly utilitarian bike that I commute on and gets outstanding fuel efficiency.

I've used Delvac 1300 Super 15-40 in my VStrom 1000, and my wife's CTX700 without issue. Shifting was great even up to 3000 miles and I never sensed slippage in either. When I did oil changes there was hardly any metallic material on the drain plug magnet. I tried Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40 in my VStrom too and it was fine but went back to Delvac. I now have the new Rotella T6 15-40 in my VStrom but haven't ridden it yet. I tried Delvac in my DR650 but dumped it early. Shifting became very notchy in that bike and I went back to a full suy mc oil.

When my bike was new I used Kawasaki oil the regular Dino variety and every once in awhile the transmission would get hung up and I couldn't get it into neutral, it mostly would do this if I had to stop fast so I would downshift but when I would go to take off again I would not be able to get it in gear. I changed the oil around 50-100 miles, then again at the 600 mile service and used their oil again for the next change after. The bike probably has 1k miles or so on the Castrol Actevo but no problems as of yet and the bike only has 5200 miles so most likely it's still being broken in.

I decided to wait before I went with synthetic oil as everyone recommends breaking in a motorcycle with Dino oil first before switching over.

well...made my decisions for the bike & the scoot; first the bike...'14 yamaha v star 250; picked up 5 qts of valvoline atv/utv 10w-40 oil (available at a walmart @ 35 miles from the house at $4.54/qt...rode the scoot so amount of gas used wasn't bad); I will divide this into 2 batches of 2 qts each and add 1 qt of Amsoil Diesel Oil 15w-40 full syn to each batch...the other qt will be divided into 2 rinsed out soda bottles for top off oil in case of leaks (1 for the scoot & 1 for the bike); and now the scoot...'13 genuine buddy 125; I have @ 4 qts of frankenbrew that will get used (1 qt of Amsoil OE Diesel Oil 15w-40 full syn already mixed with 3 qts of leftover 10w-40 & 15w-40 conventionals); intervals for oil changes & filter replacements...thinking 1k oci for the scoot with filter every 3k; bike is probably gonna be oci every 2k with filter every 4k

Just curious, no heartburn intended so please take this as honest inquiry on my part.

What is the reason/rationale for mixing in Amsoil 15w40 syn in a low rpm 250cc twin (i.e. long stroke) that is air cooled (will contaminate oil sooner rather than later with blow-by because of the looser tolerances). What are you trying to improve on with that mix, in this engine with a 2000 mile OCI? What does Yamaha spec for an OCI?

Run the 10w40 Dino and never look back.

The scooter I believe has an 1800 mile OCI, why almost 2X as often as recommended?

Currently have a stash of Valvoline conventional motorcycle oil in 10w40 and 20w50. Just put the 20w50 in and love the way that oil "feels". Shifting is great, the bike doesn't seem to mind lugging as much. When I ran that oil last summer shifting stayed consistent for the entire OCI. It's one [censored] of a stout oil with a 20cst viscosity rating. If it shears 25% I'm still running a good thick 40 weight. Most oils degrade shifting over time, most likely due to shearing below a certain viscosity.

The new T6 15w40 is intriguing. Looking forward to seeing UOAs on this oil and whether it holds viscosity. The 5w40 is a shearing monster, hence why it starts to feel "notchy" after a couple K.

I'm with Bonz... I don't see the logic either.
Run the 10w40 in the VStar, and for your Buddy, you need look no further than VR-1 20w50.
Valvoline is on sale this month at NAPA.
Your not gaining a thing by blending AMSOIL and anything.

Originally Posted by beanoil
Originally Posted by Diesel12
Rotella T6 5w-40 is available everywhere and its cost effective. Schaeffer makes a good V-twin oil for bikes with wet clutch.
https://www.schaefferoil.com/vtwin-oil.html Seems to be really popular on harley forums.

No and no.
5w40 in a common sump has a tendency to shear rapidly, and the Schaeffer is not for clutches with fiber plates. It is popular on Harley forums because they are not shared sump bikes (for the most part).
Rotella 15w40 is probably the most popular cheerleader from the diesel side of oils. Valvoline Premium Blue is good but I found a different clutch feel with it. Grabby. Someone will chime in about Delvac... I don't care for it all after the CK-4 reformulation. But if that's all there was... fill and ride.
Valvoline MC oil is effective and cheap.
There are a couple of folks here that like VR-1 straight 40 weight in common sump bikes. No shear, very good performance. Currently 4.99 a quart at NAPA. That will be the next fill in my out of warranty Can-Am Spyder (dry sump, hydraulic shift, wet clutch).

Did you even read the description?
[Linked Image]

Also to you VR1 recommendation again if you read it clearly states VR1 is not recommended for Wet Clutches.
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back