No Dexos label on High Milage OIls, ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why there is no Dexos rating for High mileage oils in the identical viscosity.
Is the Dexos labeled oil adequate for the life of the vehicle?
I use Mobil 1 extended oils but want to use HM since all 3 of my Chevy's are getting up there in Miles. (2 Suburban's & an Equinox)

[Linked Image]

There aren't?

Wow - you got me
I never looked at brands other than Mobil 1 or Castrol.
I would check out Valvoline. I always seem to have a fear of "house brand discount" product of anything.
thx

I'd like to hear arguments for using High Mileage oil in a well-maintained engine with a high number on the odometer. I don't think M1 HM did my 3800 any favors. I still need to get around to replacing the timing cover seal ... and the leak has already turned one serpentine belt into sticky goo.

Originally Posted by Washoe_Mark
Wow - you got me
I would check out Valvoline. I always seem to have a fear of "house brand discount" product of anything.
thx

We have plenty of proof that the supertech is as good and maybe even better than most name brands.

Supertech Synthetic HM and Valvoline Synthetic HM are both Dexos certified. Thing is, it's not that most high mileage oils couldn't meet the Dexos requirements, it's just that there is no point in the manufacturer spending the time and money to have it certified when the high mileage oil is going to be used in vehicles that are no longer under warranty. That said, there's really no reason to use HM oils unless you have a consumption or minor seal leak, and even then, switching to HM oil will probably not make a noticeable difference.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Wow - you got me
thx

We have plenty of proof that the supertech is as good and maybe even better than most name brands.

We have proof on the Supertech Syn label that it may not be.

Where on the label does it state it either controls or reduces piston deposits? It does on ALL the major brands.
You get - what you pay for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Wow - you got me
thx

Where on the label does it state it either controls or reduces piston deposits? It does on ALL the major brands.

Are you for real that Supertech is bad oil because one line of marketing BS is not on the label? LOOOOOOL.

i believe it depends on the viscosity whether oils are rated dexos 1 Gen 2. Normally oils in the 0/5W-20/30 viscosity can qualify for the dexos 1 Gen 2 rating because that viscosity range is what GM specs in their TDI engines. !0W-30 and above may meet SN Plus but not the official dexos 1 Gen 2 approval rating. I recently bought Valvoline HM Full Synthetic 10W-30 and while it's SN Plus it's not dexos 1 Gen 2. For me it doesn't matter because it's going in my leaky generator
grin2.gif
. Otherwise for our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer I've been using Mobil 1 5W-30 purchased with rebates for ~$11/5 quart jug
lol.gif

Whimsey

all certifications + bull poo on the label costs $$$$, same with sponsoring + advertising you see everywhere, i switched to super-tech synthetics + saved the $$$ without the issue of coupons + rebates. good oil cheap + easy everyday at Wally World!! remember Castrol is the bums that were marketing their not legally synthetic syntec as such until the advertising bureau was swayed $$$$ to change the laws years ago + thats when mobil + others downgraded from real synthetic PAO + Ester to todays good but cheaper group III base oils almost everyone uses!!

Wow - you got me
thx

Wow! Ad copy trumps certifications. I also buy cheap index funds rather than variable annuities. when I hear "you get what you pay for." I run.

Last edited:

Its amazing. One this example is not proof and two you do not have comprehension of certifications and specifications. Why can't you understand DEXOS and ISLAC certifications require deposit control? I even provided pretty pictures for you with lines already colored.

Wow - you got me
thx

I think years ago, it could have been justified. But knowing it is the same oil as MAG oils gently puts that to rest.

Before BITOG, I would fear the house brands- but my cobalt has spent a good part of it's life on oils like NAPA syn, and is doing quite well on these oils......

Triple Seven, your posts amaze me. It's either brand name or nothing for you. I've run ST for well over a hundred thousand miles in a relatives gdi car. Clean internals, great performance, quiet, and it uses no oil. The specs it meets ensure it's a quality oil. Frankly, I'd run it in my tgdi accord without issue...and I may just go that route. If you truly think that some marketing language means an oil is better, well, you need to do some reading here. Seriously.

The brand name oils are great. Period. The store brands from respected manufacturers are as well. Period. Stop making the point of jumping into these posts simply to tell us,"you're foolish if you use anything other than the major brands." Come on. Find a new tune. I'd love to see a side by side. Two of the same cars. One running a major and the other running super tech. I bet the differences would be negligible, at best.

I just changed the diff fluid in my Ranger with Super Tech because it was cheaper and had better specs than Mobil1. Not by much though...

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Wow - you got me
thx

I think years ago, it could have been justified. But knowing it is the same oil as MAG oils gently puts that to rest.

Before BITOG, I would fear the house brands- but my cobalt has spent a good part of it's life on oils like NAPA syn, and is doing quite well on these oils......

^^^^^^

Really good post here... And I was the same way... Now i feel just fine with Carquest high mileage full synthetic in my car. It's made by Amalie oil. Nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted by 4WD
You have the actual formulations of both ?

Stupid question. Formulations, as you know, are not available to the public. I said I went by "specs".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back