Coolant for 2016 Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
That said, for queried mixing top off and/or under warranty I'd stick with FCA OAT.

I agree. I plan on sticking with FCA OAT after the warranty too. For me the risk to reward ratio doesn't cut it. Opinions vary.

Follow the owners manual and pay the coin for the OEM OAT spec'd stuff. There is no mix compatible aftermarket fluids out there.

He ended up getting the Mopar OAT from the Morris4x4 link posted above. I actually forgot about that place and how much Mopar stuff they have.. It's where I bought an OE window regulator for my Jeep of all things.

Thanks again guys.

Zerex G40 (Silicated OAT) may/might work with a complete flush. However it is not the same as FCA OAT. FCA OAT is a no silicate OAT AF. Closest to FCA OAT here would be Peak Global Lifetime, non silicate, no 2eha OAT . That said, for queried mixing top off and/or under warranty I'd stick with FCA OAT.

I have been running mine with Dex-Cool after a flush now for about two months or so. The radiator gave up the ghost after only 60k so I flushed the whole system. I've noticed no difference thus far. Once I saw the Chrysler spec on the DC datasheet that was good enough for me. It does recommend five year maximum though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
He ended up getting the Mopar OAT from the Morris4x4 link posted above. I actually forgot about that place and how much Mopar stuff they have.. It's where I bought an OE window regulator for my Jeep of all things.

Thanks again guys.

Smart move!

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Zerex G40 (Silicated OAT) may/might work with a complete flush. However it is not the same as FCA OAT. FCA OAT is a no silicate OAT AF. Closest to FCA OAT here would be Peak Global Lifetime, non silicate, no 2eha OAT . That said, for queried mixing top off and/or under warranty I'd stick with FCA OAT.
I have been running mine with Dex-Cool after a flush now for about two months or so. The radiator gave up the ghost after only 60k so I flushed the whole system. I've noticed no difference thus far. Once I saw the Chrysler spec on the DC datasheet that was good enough for me. It does recommend five year maximum though.
I'm not sure what vehicle is being referenced in the reply. Also not sure to what the " DC datasheet" pertains.

I can say that for the topic vehicle or any FCA vehicle since 2013 specing FCA OAT, that AF uses/contains no 2eha found in DexCool. What one chooses to use in thier vehicle in or out of warranty, thier call. Personally with the SAE paper in my previous post in mind, if I owned one, even with a complete flush DexCool would not be my choice.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Just as the title says. The brother's Jeep is in need of a top off. Color from the factory is pink-ish.

Thanks guys.

Have him keep on eye out for a leak from the radiator. Seems like lots of 14-16's are having issues with the aluminum/plastic rads where the tanks are bonded on to the core. Some guys even having issues with the replacements.
My '16 has 13K miles on it and i just started noticing an AF smell coming from the front.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/radiator-leak-2017810.html

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I'm not sure what vehicle is being referenced in the reply. Also not sure to what the " DC datasheet" pertains.

I can say that for the topic vehicle or any FCA vehicle since 2013 specing FCA OAT, that AF uses/contains no 2eha found in DexCool. What one chooses to use in thier vehicle in or out of warranty, thier call. Personally with the SAE paper in my previous post in mind, if I owned one, even with a complete flush DexCool would not be my choice.

2014 Wrangler. I thought the DC data sheet was obvious, I mean the Dex-Cool product information data sheet. My manual says to use coolant meeting MS-12106. I realize this is probably a recommendation and not an actual approval.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/5a76d5fc-0cbd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Also this chart

DF691E4F-D2E2-4FF2-A5E7-83EEF08BD91A.jpeg

Last edited:
As discussed here in the past, when it comes to Chrysler FCA AFs from 2013 on, the Zerex chart( found on Amazon) is incorrect. As shown in this thread, FCA does not spec DexCool. As for other outside recommendations ("DC datasheet"), I go by what the vehicle manufacturers use first, in this FCA/Chrysler/Mopar. Current Mopar OAT contains/uses no 2eha inhibitor which is found in DexCool.

Thus to topic, I agree with the comments recommending FCA OAT which is what ended up being used.

There's probably a what.. $10-$15 difference between the Mopar OAT vs. whatever DexCool equivalent the parts store sells.

Aside from me not being a gambling man, that $15 is well worth the peace of mind knowing the Jeep has the correct antifreeze vs. what's close IMO.

Your Jeep requires Mopar 150,000 mile / 10 year OAT coolant. Do not use HOAT in that system, the materials in the cooling system are not designed for it.
I also would strongly advise against using universal coolants and DO NOT use Dexcool as the formulation is different from Mopar OAT coolants.

Last edited:
As discussed here in the past, when it comes to Chrysler FCA AFs from 2013 on, the Zerex chart( found on Amazon) is incorrect. As shown in this thread, FCA does not spec DexCool. As for other outside recommendations ("DC datasheet"), I go by what the vehicle manufacturers use first, in this FCA/Chrysler/Mopar. Current Mopar OAT contains/uses no 2eha inhibitor which is found in DexCool.

Thus to topic, I agree with the comments recommending FCA OAT which is what ended up being used.

I talked with someone at Valvoline/Zerex last night and asked about there application chart. He didn't know a whole lot but forwarded my questions to the formulators and I just recieved the e-mail.

This is from our formulator:

"From 2003 - 2013, Chrysler used G05. That formula is a Hybrid Organic Acid Tech using both organic acid and inorganic additives for corrosion protection. From 2013 to current year, Chrysler specifies an Organic Acid Technology (OAT), so dropping the inorganics from the formulation. Valvoline's Dex-Cool uses 2-ethyl hexanoic acid to meet the required OAT specification. The OE doesn't typically specify which specific organic acid to use. Our Dex-Cool is formulated to meet/exceed Fiat Chrysler MS-12106 specification."

Thank you,

Matt

Valvoline Product Support

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Your Jeep requires Mopar 150,000 mile / 10 year OAT coolant. Do not use HOAT in that system, the materials in the cooling system are not designed for it.
I also would strongly advise against using universal coolants and DO NOT use Dexcool as the formulation is different from Mopar OAT coolants.

Some silicate would not hurt a thing

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by StevieC

Some silicate would not hurt a thing

Got information for that? If Chrysler wanted it in there it would have been in there.

Pages 624 - 628 in this manual. The do's and don't's... 2016 Wrangler Manual Describes what isn't allowed including certain coolant types.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud

I talked with someone at Valvoline/Zerex last night and asked about there application chart. He didn't know a whole lot but forwarded my questions to the formulators and I just recieved the e-mail.

This is from our formulator:

"From 2003 - 2013, Chrysler used G05. That formula is a Hybrid Organic Acid Tech using both organic acid and inorganic additives for corrosion protection. From 2013 to current year, Chrysler specifies an Organic Acid Technology (OAT), so dropping the inorganics from the formulation. Valvoline's Dex-Cool uses 2-ethyl hexanoic acid to meet the required OAT specification. The OE doesn't typically specify which specific organic acid to use. Our Dex-Cool is formulated to meet/exceed Fiat Chrysler MS-12106 specification."

Thank you,

Matt

Valvoline Product Support

That's an interesting reply from VPS. While I agree the OE may not typically specify the Organic Acid used, in the case of Mopar OAT it's known for a fact that it uses no 2eha found in DexCool. So while Dex Cool with 2eha meets the DexCool spec, and it may be formulated to meet/exceed the noted spec, it uses an inhibitor that Mopar OAT does not. And it is one that tends to be controversial to use in applications for which it's not designed. That said, if one is comfortable using DexCool in their FCA vehicle specing Mopar OAT, have at it. As noted, I would not do it.

My 'speculation' in this case is that since Zerex/Valvoline offers no same as Mopar OAT, they recommend the closest OAT they have, in this DexCool. Iirc at one time they also made no Asian Phoat AF, before ZAF, and they used to recommend Dex in their AF use charts. Then they added ZAF and gone was the Dex recommendation.

I have nothing against Valvoline/Zerex at all. I'd use any of their AFs where applicable. That includes DexCool, in DC spec'd vehicles. And thier ZAF and WM Zerex/Valv Asian AF, I'd use without hesitation in an Asian vehicle application.

Well said.

There's what's close and what's right. As I mentioned earlier, the cost difference is so minor there's no reason to gamble either IMO. It's a 10 year coolant after all.

Chrysler is one of those companies that specifically tells you they went from IAT, to OAT, and then to HOAT. They give you the years they did this and they tell you not to mix.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...I just wouldn't chance anything with coolant simply because all you have to do is buy OE coolant and you're all set - you don't have to worry about draining it all out (some blocks are hard to drain), you don't have to worry about flushing, and you won't have to worry about mixing coolants. It's a long term fluid that you'll probably never have to change again, unlike oil or something else where you're changing it often. It's a one and done thing. Spend the extra $5-$10 bucks and be done with it. No brainer.

I like to save a few bucks, I have tried to do it with coolant and I ended up having to drain the whole [censored] system again two weeks later because I mixed two coolants that shouldn't have been mixed. Go and check my coolant level two weeks later and yup, it's getting weird in there with stuff floating around looking like cake batter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back