Is Franklin BBQ in Austin, TX worth the 4 hour wait ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I are headed to Austin, TX for a wedding. She wants to eat at the 'world famous' Franklin BBQ and we'll have to wait a long time outside for the doors to open. I'm not too crazy about waiting 30 minutes...

Is it worth the 4 hour wait to for this BBQ ?

Hopefully someone will give you some good feedback on Franklin's.

Have to mention, was driving through Murphy, NC yesterday and stopped at Rib Country BBQ (Murphy, NC). Had modest expectations as I do not like NC BBQ as it is often a vinegar based sauce.

I was blown away at how awesome the baby back ribs, and even the sides were at Rib Country BBQ. Absolutley to die for. The ribs, the baked beans, even the sweet potato. Might of been the best rib dinner I ever had. Did not see it coming, but boy did I leave happy.

Originally Posted by georgemiller
Yes food is the best. I waited 6 hours to get in totally worth it.

6 hours LOL do they provide entertainment?

So you need to eat on the way there??

There were two places in STL of similar repute. I waited hours for each meal on more than one occasion...

Their BBQ wasn't any better than our local, highly-rated BBQ with wait times in the...tens of minutes.

This isn't to mention all of the other great BBQ joints in STL..

I'll never wait hours again for simple, SIMPLE food

People get there quite early.

You used to be able to pay people to wait in line for you, I think they banned doing that.

I lived in Austin, went once, it was good for sure, but there are plenty of other places that do a real good job all over the city with no wait. Just use yelp and stay away from the chain type places.

To me, no restaurant is worth a 4 hour wait. Austin has a ton of BBQ places. You can easily find a good one that takes reservations and/or does not require a 4 hour wait.

No, John Mueller in Georgetown Tx or Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor Tx(Aaron Franklin learned his trade from the Muellers)
Lockhart. is super close
Black's Barbecue, Smitty's Market or Kreuz Market.

I'd gladly try it, but after a six hour wait, you probably would have eaten anything.
wink.gif

I want to go to Snow's in Lexington...not that far from Austin. Only open on Saturday. Never got the chance to eat there during my trucking days.

They most likely just slow smoke their meats overnight using Mesquite or Mesquite & Pecan. Thousands of BBQ places across Texas do the same.
Some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten are from "hole-in-the-wall" joints where I'm the only white guy in there!

Sounds like a tourist trap to me.

It can't be that Good. I live an hour away and I only heard about it a couple months ago. My friend sent me a video at 8 am of a long line and I asked what it was for. BBQ. Screw that. Don't these people have jobs ?

No restaurant is worth a 4 hour wait unless I just got out of a concentration camp.

Last edited:
I love some good BBQ. Six hour wait , no way. I won't even go an hour. Maybe 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back