2 in 1 Tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace the tires on the wife's Trax in the near future The factory Continentals are about shot and I have to admit I'm glad they will be gone I've had good Continentals in the past but these have fell short The wife will be starting a longer commute to work soon I want something other than a dedicated snow tire that can be used year round and in moderate snow
1- Between the Goodyear Weather Ready and the General Grabber 2 which would you choose ?
2- The general Grabber2 in the size I'm looking at says its not heavy snow rated....Why this size isn't and others are ? Tread looks the same
I understand the grabber is different than the weather ready but I've had them before on a small SUV and they worked well

The Assurance Weatherready is an excellent tire. , and has a 75K mile projected life. I'd pick that over the Generals. Would the General RT43 fit your car?

Is this in 205/70R16 or 215/55R18? When asking for tire recommendations, it helps to give the size, because some tires may not be available in your size.

I can't find a General Grabber2 or Grabber 2. Do you mean Grabber AT2? According to the General tire site, the AT2 is not available in any of either OEM tire size for the 2017 Trax.

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-at2

What speed rating does your Trax require? Before anyone recommends it, the RT43 is only available in "T" in these 2 sizes. The OEM ProContact's are H tires.

How about the Falken Sincera S/N201 as or the Goodyear Ultra Tour? I've had good life out of Goodyear's

Between those two, the Weatherready seems better for your intended usage and driving conditions
smile.gif

Thank you for the replies I think I will go with the WeatherReadys
Still curious why some of the General Grabber AT2's are not heavy snow rated and other sizes are with what looks to me to be the same tread pattern

Maybe because AT tires get 3MPSF rating by accident and not design.
Some are above the threshold (110% of traction of reference tire?) and some are not.

Or manufacturer decided to mark some sizes. Hard to tell.

Krzys

Originally Posted by SilverGt
Thank you for the replies I think I will go with the WeatherReadys
Still curious why some of the General Grabber AT2's are not heavy snow rated and other sizes are with what looks to me to be the same tread pattern

The idea behind the snowflake, 3 mountain peak symbol is to identify winter tires, primarily because Canada wanted some way to do that. However, tire manufacturers discovered that some All Terrain tires and some aggressive All Season tires will pass the test, Canada has been discouraging tire manufacturers from using the symbol for anything other than winter tires - but not very successfully. Besides, some European countries don't like the symbol - sort of a "Not Invented Here" kind of thing.

So I think you will find tires that ought to be able to pass the test, not so labeled.

The General AT2s are no longer going to be available in the smaller 16'' sizes. There is another tire replacing them starting at 215/75-15 and then right to light truck sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back