Sunday 40w discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the oil selection suggestions from the 2019 Ford Super Duty Owners manual.

Given a person chose Severe Duty Service, would you choose your grade based on the minimum temperature such as 0w40, 5w40, and 15w40, or do you believe the protection is best with 15w40.

I noticed a bias towards 15w40, but the lubricant companies have come out with these 0w40 lubricants. What's your opinion?
smile.gif

E8D16D3E-BD7A-40B7-B049-8596FD68DFB4.jpeg

FA81F972-EF25-4F6E-9664-E1EA19FDCDE7.jpeg

I would pick an XW-40. 15W-40 if the starting temps were inline with the choice

Same here...5w40 or 10w40....

Manufacturers somehow ban 10w40 grade because it tend to be"sludge monster" some....50+ yrs ago
smile.gif

Originally Posted by beanoil
15w40 all day long if you do not have cold starting temps.

OR if you can plug in your oil pan heater all winter.

I own a '15 6.7 Powerstroke and have run nothing but 10w-30. I haul heavy and tow, UOA,s have always came back good with the exception of the last due to a fuel additive that is known to increase FE levels(Enerburn).
The truck just rolled 100,000 mi. Fri. with no issues, and I do let the IOLM dictate my oil changes, which in my usage is usually 10,000 mi.

Keeping your location with low temps in mind 10w30 or 5w40 year around would be my choice.

I can usually find VPBE, Delvac 1, or T6 5w40 on sale or rebate for my Cummins throughout the year and buy to keep on the shelf.

If a low temperature climate is not a factor, then either an API Licensed CK4 conventional 10W30 or 15W40 will work just fine. If you are really concerned about a severe duty application, a high-quality 15W40 conventional HDEO is a good option. Conventional CK4 formulations provide excellent wear protection. If you are watchful, you can purchase conventional HDEOs when they are on sale along with a manufacturer's rebate...a very cost effective solution.

I like to use Xw40 in my powerstroke because I use bio blended fuels. otherwise I would probably be fine with the 10w30. I was using 5w40 for awhile but then I figured 15w40 was a more reasonable choice in FL. It will end up saving me close to $100 a year on oil changes based on my 30K+ a year average mileage.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Manufacturers somehow ban 10w40 grade because it tend to be"sludge monster" some....50+ yrs ago
smile.gif

You're also going to have trouble finding a 10w-40 in North America with a modern API diesel spec or an ACEA E specification. The last time I saw an actual 10w-40 HDEO here (not saying they don't exist; I just don't see them anywhere and I've only seen a couple data sheets in the last five or so years) was in the CG-4 days. I know Shell lists a 10w-40 in CJ-4/SM, but I've never seen it in the wild, and Petro-Canada used to have a 10w-40 E6 and I believe another HDEO 10w-40 option, but those are not available at ordinary retail channels.

I have cold starting temps.

15w40 AME all day long in ambient temps down to roughly -10F/-20F on unaided cold starts on a pre '07 truck.

On my newer trucks, the above temps are handled with CK4 DME 15w40.

I tried a couple fills of 0w40 on various makes; when the temp drops below my above stated low temp cutoffs with 15w40, I tend to fire Webasto coolant heaters up, so I decided to stick with the lower NOACK full synthetic 15w40s.

I Y-d each Webasto coolant heater exhaust- one outlet to the filter head, and the other larger outlet to the side of the sump.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
smile.gif

You're also going to have trouble finding a 10w-40 in North America with a modern API diesel spec or an ACEA E specification. The last time I saw an actual 10w-40 HDEO here (not saying they don't exist; I just don't see them anywhere and I've only seen a couple data sheets in the last five or so years) was in the CG-4 days. I know Shell lists a 10w-40 in CJ-4/SM, but I've never seen it in the wild, and Petro-Canada used to have a 10w-40 E6 and I believe another HDEO 10w-40 option, but those are not available at ordinary retail channels.

In Europe Shell has various flavors of 10W-40 HDEO, the top of the line one so to speak being Shell Rimula R6M, but there is also R6 LM, R5 etc.

New guy here with a 40W question inline with this thread. A lot of you would choose the 15w40 over the 5w40 if low starting temps was not an issue. I'm trying to figure out why that is? Just comparing Rotella T6 in 5w40 and their new 15w40, if it's summertime use and high temps are say around 100 F, is there a benefit to using the 15w40 oil? I was thinking both of these being 40w would be real similar for summer use. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Munsy
New guy here with a 40W question inline with this thread. A lot of you would choose the 15w40 over the 5w40 if low starting temps was not an issue. I'm trying to figure out why that is? Just comparing Rotella T6 in 5w40 and their new 15w40, if it's summertime use and high temps are say around 100 F, is there a benefit to using the 15w40 oil? I was thinking both of these being 40w would be real similar for summer use. Am I missing something?

welcome2.gif

The benefit of using a 15w40 instead of a 0w40 is that the 15w40 uses less Viscosity Index Improvers (VII's) so it's less likely to shear. Ideally it's best to keep the gap between the winter rating (W) and the oils weight at operating temperature as close to each other as possible. EG: 15w40 is better than a 5w40 is better than a 0w40 where cold operating temperature permits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

welcome2.gif

The benefit of using a 15w40 instead of a 0w40 is that the 15w40 uses less Viscosity Index Improvers (VII's) so it's less likely to shear. Ideally it's best to keep the gap between the winter rating (W) and the oils weight at operating temperature as close to each other as possible. EG: 15w40 is better than a 5w40 is better than a 0w40 where cold operating temperature permits.

In addition to this 15w40 are usually a good deal cheaper than 5w40 and 0w40. I pay 8$ a gallon less for the oil I use currently per gallon. (VPB 5w40 vs 15w40)

welcome2.gif

Ok that makes sense. Thanks, I was having a hard time understanding that.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
In Europe Shell has various flavors of 10W-40 HDEO, the top of the line one so to speak being Shell Rimula R6M, but there is also R6 LM, R5 etc.

Here, I certainly haven't seen one on the shelf in a lot of years. The last time someone I knew "needed" a 10w-40 HDEO, they ended up having to go with RP, and that was a CG-4 compliant one, if I recall correctly.

welcome2.gif

Longer version of the story...

SAE30 and SAE40 were pretty well it...

The Engine manufacturers were dragged kicking and screaming into accepting multigrades, and 15W40 was the compromise (bar certain engines).

Later on, HTHS was researched as particularly the automotive multigrades were not protecting as well as their grades would have suggested...The high shear rate thinning was worked out, and HTHS became a new measure in the J300 tables.

The 0W, 5W, and 10W 40s were assigned the same minimum HTHS as the "30 grades", i.e. 2.9 minimum, which was reflective of the ability of the Viscosity Index Improvers at the time...wasn't a good thing, but it was what it was.

2013, the 40 grades were changed to 3.5 minimum HTHS for the 0W, 5W, and 10W grades, 3.7 for the 15W40s and up, still offering some delineation.

So one can't judge the decade old wider spread grades on historical issues.

If I had to choose an oil that would be compatible globally for every engine in every environment, a modern 0W40 A3/B4 API spec would do the job more than acceptably well.

If I had a narrower operating environment, a 15W30 would be my preference over a 15W40.

Just installed M1 Delvac MX 10W30 in wife's Captiva over the weekend...my Colorado, I'm stuck with 5Ws under warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back