Long long long term car ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what I paid for my 2002 2500HD. I could replace all the stuff that will eventually fail 4 to 5 times before I even come close to the cost of new truck.
So with no rust out here. I will just keep using it to tow my travel trailer. I would like to get another 5 to 10 years out of it which shouldn't be a problem at 4000ish miles a year.
It is at 54,000 right now.
I don't see the WS6 going anywhere either. It just hit 70,000 miles, but it has had a rough life with tons of track time. I think I have done an alternator, power steering fluid leaked into the original which caused it
to fail, A power steering pressure line, which killed the power steering pump(see alternator failure) A clutch, a rear end X 2 before installing the Ford 9 inch. 1 set of shock/struts and various suspension components.

Last edited:
Long car ownership also means taking care of the interior too. So many people treat their car interiors like garbage dumpsters.

After a long ownership experience and when it's time to trade in, a good dealer can tell you really took good care of that vehicle versus one that got cleaned up quickly.

I have a 1992 Honda Accord with 206k miles. My parents bought it in 1995. I was a little kid who only rode in the back seat at the time. I took my driver's test in it when I was 16, even though I ended up driving something else as my 1st car. I started driving it to college in 2006 and it was unofficially mine. I eventually made it official and bought it from my mom. I drive it almost every day, I maintain it well and repair things as soon as they break, which is not often. It's currently in the garage, getting some minor coolant leaks and a small exhaust leak repaired. I'm also going to replace the weeping oil pan gasket while I have the exhaust off. These are the first repairs I've had to do to it in about 2 years. I do all the maintenance and repairs myself. 2 years ago I replaced the timing belt, water pump, did a full tune-up, adjusted the valves, replaced two bad motor mounts, and replaced the rusted out exhaust. I spent over $1k in parts for all of that (many of the parts were OEM), and I'd do it again if I had to. I plan on keeping the car until it's dead, which I don't expect to happen for many more years.

I've also had my 2006 Ford Ranger for 12 years now and I plan on keeping it forever. I don't put many miles on it, so I expect it to last at least another 20 years. It had 12k miles when I bought it, and it currently has 79k.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by A_Harman
I bought my 2002 Camaro new and have put 271k miles on it. It's not just my car, it's MY CAR!
I have used it for track driving ever since I got it, and have had to do a lot of major repairs on it over the years:
4 sets of rear axle shafts.
3 rear end swaps, including a custom rear end build.
10 sets of front wheel bearings.
2 complete sets of springs.
at least 30 brake jobs, probably closer to 50.
1 broken front sway bar.
2 alternator replacements.
2 trips to body shops to repair crash damage, but nothing serious.
1 transmission rebuild when reverse got hard to find
1 clutch replacement as preventive maintenance when the trans was rebuilt
engine still runs good, but is consuming a lot of oil

I drive the car year-round, so I have 3 sets of wheels and tires for it: Blizzaks on the factory 16's for winter, Conti high-performance all-seasons on 17's for the other 3 seasons, and soft tires on 17's for track use.
I also have a set of C5 Corvette front brakes that get put on before track season, then go back to the factory front brakes for winter.

Why go through all this?
I just like driving it. It fits me.

See this is pretty cool because you actually had fun and enjoyed it along the way, too often that's not the case.

And the means ($$).

I always go into buying a vehicle with the thought of...I'm going to keep this thing forever. Then it's sitting there at around 170,00 plus miles, it needs a major repair (and small ones) and I bail. Just did it with a Lexus, it needed $4,000 in various reposts and I traded it in. Kind of regretting that when I'm paying my monthly car payment and that yearly $500 plus excise tax bill comes in. Never mind the dealer hidden fees when I bough the thing...the paper work prep crap.

I'm a tech, I know how vehicles can go south pretty quickly and start nickel and diming you, but maybe it is worth fixing these things? My Lexus had to go simply because almost every part for that car was three times as much as a typical brand, but I'm seriously considering keeping my latest vehicle (2018 Silverado) for a ridiculously long time.

Anyone go very very long term on a vehicle and was it worth it? Paying for those big big repairs.

Years ago I inherited a Limited Wagoneer with 50k miles on it and I put another 100k (total of 150k) before I sold it to commercial pilot as is DD to/from the airport. For my own personal situation I didn't have the tools or the venue to work on my own vehicle and I didn't have the money to occasionally shell out $1k-$3k in repairs. Although the $250/mo payment sucked at the time, the piece of mind knowing that for at least 3 yrs I had a factory warranty was worth it. It was like a weight was lifted with regards to the freedom to travel. I no longer had to worry about break downs.

I don't mind newer car prices as much as minding having full insurance coverage on such a vehicle. Even with my good driving record and getting good rates and discounts, it feels like throwing money away. New cars depreciate fast, but, unlike insurance, at least you have something to show for the payments.

I also tend to keep vehicles a long time, so I try to buy models that are a quality brand and tend to be produced in large numbers, e.g., Camry, Tacoma, Civic, Silverado, etc. So they will be reasonably reliable from the start, and when troubles do start, you'll find parts aplenty. Also it's easier to keep a vehicle in good condition than it is to let it go then try to fix it backup... maintenance is cheaper and easier than repair.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
I always go into buying a vehicle with the thought of...I'm going to keep this thing forever. Then it's sitting there at around 170,00 plus miles, it needs a major repair (and small ones) and I bail. Just did it with a Lexus, it needed $4,000 in various reposts and I traded it in. Kind of regretting that when I'm paying my monthly car payment and that yearly $500 plus excise tax bill comes in. Never mind the dealer hidden fees when I bough the thing...the paper work prep crap.

I'm a tech, I know how vehicles can go south pretty quickly and start nickel and diming you, but maybe it is worth fixing these things? My Lexus had to go simply because almost every part for that car was three times as much as a typical brand, but I'm seriously considering keeping my latest vehicle (2018 Silverado) for a ridiculously long time.

Anyone go very very long term on a vehicle and was it worth it? Paying for those big big repairs.

You just can't with newer vehicles, unless you're cool spending more than the car is currently worth, just on repairs. I'm not. So I buy new/LIGHTLY used, and get 150K mile bumper/bumper warranties on them, and motor on, and after the warranty period is up if it breaks, I trade it in.

When I was car shopping I was finding that the slightly more used/almost new cars/trucks were almost as expensive as a new one, especially with thrucks. So I just bought new. Next time I'll probably go used...like maybe 4-5 years old with 60,000-70,000 miles on it.

I've never done the extended warranty thing, like I said, I'm a tech so I can the repairs (sometimes I admit I don't want to), but I've just seen too many "deductibles" and other things that spring up on some of these warranties. Just last week a guy I know bought a 2010 Ford Edge, now I warned him that the PTU (power transfer units) go bad on those things and sure enough a month after he owned it the thing was junk. Typical on that vehicle. So he had a warranty...6 month unlimited mileage from whatever company, it came with the vehicle. The repair was $1,600. The warranty company wanted pictures of the transfer case split open. So the mechanic was nice enough to take the time to open this thing up outside and take some pictures. Then they insisted a used unit would be installed. The tech talked to the warranty company and made them understand that there really is no such thing as used PTU's because they're all garbage and a new one is $900. So they agreed. Well this is what happened...after all of that the warranty company only paid $500! All that back and forth, the pictures, the BS...and my friend was on the hook for the remaining $1,100 bucks. I mean I guess it's better than nothing, but imagine paying for an extended warranty and having that happen? I'd go out of my mind. I'm sure your experiences are better, especially if you have experience with aftermarket companies, etc.

This is why I bought the warranty from the dealership that sold me the car. They have used this company for a long time. There is no deductible at THAT dealer (and $200 elsewhere), and they deal with any negotiations with the warranty company, and ultimately will eat the charge so as not to lose the customer. BS, you say? They ate a $2700 diff replacement that I accidentally flooded in my last CX5, so I'd say they're good for it, especially if I don't do something like that, etc. I trust my local dealer b ased on previous actions like this that show their character.

Sounds like it's working out great for you, warranties aren't really my thing but I know some people do have luck with them and enjoy the piece of mind.

Originally Posted by DejaVue
I don't mind newer car prices as much as minding having full insurance coverage on such a vehicle. Even with my good driving record and getting good rates and discounts, it feels like throwing money away. New cars depreciate fast, but, unlike insurance, at least you have something to show for the payments.

I agree, the payments are one thing for the car but at least you're driving around in a nice new vehicle...it's the insurance, the excise taxes, the dealer documentation fee (that they just can't waive, wish we could but we just can't). All that stuff. And getting the plates, title, registration all over again.

So what I may try next time, is when I'm bored of a car...think I deserve to be driving around in something "better"...and when that big repair gives me an outstanding excuse to trade it in and get something new?? I just may do that big repair and try to remember how much I hate paying for the little fees and insurance. And all of that.

My longest running car was a 1981 Toyota Corona (purchased new for $9,600). I kept it for 17 years and it had 255,000 miles. During that time, it needed a hydraulic clutch cylinder at 40,000 miles and a new clutch at 150,000 miles. The rest was just normal maintenance items. When I bought it, it averaged 27 MPG. When I got rid of it, it averaged 27 MPG. The Chicago road-salt winters did it in. One day I noticed a hole had rotted thru the floorboard. The rest of the car looked pretty darn good all things considered.

I've had a whole slew of other new cars (mostly Toyota) since then. I would drive them for about 5-6 years then, when one of my kids would get old enough to own a car of their own, I would pass a car on to them.

Right now, the oldest car is my wife's 2007 Mazda 6 (5sp manual trans) with 180,000 miles. We're the original owners. Knock on wood, the only problem it had was an O2 sensor at 110,000 miles and now, the passenger compartment hood liner adhesive is failing so, it needs a new liner. The body and underside are in perfect condition. My wife loves that car and she wants to keep it.

I love my 2018 Mazda 8 Touring and plan to keep it. It's an infant with a little over 7000 miles.

Since I started out on my own, I have had eight cars.

Three of them I still have. One owned for 38 years, another has been in the family for 25 that I first bought at 8 years old and 21,000 miles and is back in my driveway and my last new one from 2005 turned 14 in January.

I've traded in one [and still regret it], given away two, got the one back, sold one, one was rear ended and killed in the street.

When I think of a new car I see debt, stupid size consoles, debt, poor visibility, debt, obscenely complicated systems, debt, intrusive Federal nannyism run amok, debt and dubious prospects for 20 years of ownership.

I think I was bent by Mike Lamm's Used Cars column in Motor Trend from the late 60s and as a 12 year old and two books: "Why Trade It In?" and "Drive It Forever". The first I read in the early 80s and the second sometime in the 90s.

As to why ? Why would I not ? I like them, they meet my needs and provide a lot of enjoyment. And no debt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by exranger06
I have a 1992 Honda Accord with 206k miles. My parents bought it in 1995. I was a little kid who only rode in the back seat at the time. I took my driver's test in it when I was 16, even though I ended up driving something else as my 1st car. I started driving it to college in 2006 and it was unofficially mine. I eventually made it official and bought it from my mom. I drive it almost every day, I maintain it well and repair things as soon as they break, which is not often. It's currently in the garage, getting some minor coolant leaks and a small exhaust leak repaired. I'm also going to replace the weeping oil pan gasket while I have the exhaust off. These are the first repairs I've had to do to it in about 2 years. I do all the maintenance and repairs myself. 2 years ago I replaced the timing belt, water pump, did a full tune-up, adjusted the valves, replaced two bad motor mounts, and replaced the rusted out exhaust. I spent over $1k in parts for all of that (many of the parts were OEM), and I'd do it again if I had to. I plan on keeping the car until it's dead, which I don't expect to happen for many more years.

I've also had my 2006 Ford Ranger for 12 years now and I plan on keeping it forever. I don't put many miles on it, so I expect it to last at least another 20 years. It had 12k miles when I bought it, and it currently has 79k.

Those were my favorite Accords. I've had 2 of 1991 models. Manual transmission, one a coupe and the other a sedan.

I sold them as I got tires of driving manual transmissions and switched to automatic. I sometimes wish I had kept the coupe. But it was probably a death trap with only a driver air bag and uncertain body rigidity during a crash.

I have an '04 Corolla with 373K miles. I've had to have some things replaced on it, but all have been normal wear and tear items. I plan on keeping it until 1) something major goes, like engine internals or transmission, or 2) it starts leaving me stranded. Even with the repairs, this car has saved me thousands of $$$ compared to buying something new, or newer that I would've had to make payments on. It does use some oil, but everything works on the car including the A/C, and it drives fine. I see no reason to get rid of it as long as it continues to serve me well...

I bought a 2003 Golf TDI in August of that year. I was working as a courier and figured after 400k miles I would hand it down to a niece or nephew, but that never happened. I just kept driving, putting on even more miles per year, now typically about 60k miles a year. I've made the usual improvements: bigger turbo, bigger injector nozzles, better engine tune, EGR and cat-delete, a number of suspension improvements, Recaro seats, etc. But it has a surprising number of original parts, too. I do my own oil and filter changes but have an excellent independent VW shop for just about everything else -- since it's my work car, when it needs fixing I need it fixed right away. I'm a great customer so they always seem able to squeeze me in on the same day.

I spend a lot on maintenance and repairs, typically about $6000/year, but that works out to about 10 cents a mile. Add about 7 cents for fuel, 4 cents for insurance and registration, and zero for depreciation. Adding a bit for miscellaneous totals to about 22 cents/mile, which is pretty good considering I earn about 85 cents/mile and can deduct 53.5 cents off my taxes. I figure that the 1.9-liter TDI engine is a million-mile engine, so at the present rate it should hit one million miles in four years plus a few months. That's my goal, anyway.

I have another 2003 Golf TDI, a much nicer one with less than 140k miles, for the weekends and social occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back