New F-150, Silverado, or Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy a new truck by years end... I have looked at lots of on line commentary and ratings...

Now I want to know what the BITOG community thinks!

Please no "brand loyalists" responses. I say this because of how fast vehicles evolve today. The 2018 Ram and the all new design 2019 Ram is a perfect example.

So, overall, what the best one to buy TODAY? (Towing is not a factor for me). Thanks.

I've liked the Ram for the last several years now. I drove a new 2016 Ram and F-150 and felt the Ram had a much better, smoother shifting transmission. Historically, I think Ford has done a better job than Dodge when it comes to trucks, but I currently feel the Ram is the the better truck.

I'm a total GM fanboy that happens to own 1 GM and 2 Fords. If you're looking at brand new full-size half-ton trucks, I'd pick the F-150. The Silverado 1500 just isn't that great this time around. The Ram seems really nice but I don't trust it yet from a reliability perspective.

My company just took delivery of six 2019 Rams.. they are nice driving trucks with really nice cabs, and a significant improvement over the 2018 Ram I'm currently driving. In our fleet the Fords have been probably the most reliable, followed closely by GM, and then Ram. But some of our trucks are up to ten years old, so that order might be completely different now for the 2019 model year. Our 2018 Rams have been trouble free so far, a few of those have 35000 to 40000 miles on the clock.

Toyota Tundra.
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_Tundra.html
From a price perspective, the Tundras and RAMs tend to be better deals. I like the RAM's new styling, and I personally believe that they ride and drive better than any of the full size trucks, but they tend to have problems with the HVAC and emission systems.

Last edited:
My dad owns a 2017 Ram with the 5.7, around 50K miles on it now. No major issues and he's never complained about it but every time i'm in it the check engine light is on. Last time it was for a misfire. The revised 2019 model is a really nice truck but that doesn't mean the power train is any better.

I've owned a few Chevy's, my Mom has owned various Silverado's over the past 10 years, the most current a 2018. They traded their 2016 in because it had so many issues. I've also owned various Chevy cars. I love their power train's and the way they drive etc. However, my Chevy's have always had TONS of little issues with the electronics, A/C, blend doors, wiring falling apart etc. I really like their vehicles but find the quality lacking. My Moms 16 Silverado had paint issues on the hood, a vibration at highway speed they could ever figure out, in various times for codes that dealt with the trans and a ABS code... Just not a great experience.

Buddy of mine owns a 2015 F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, loves it and will keep it forever, never any issues from it a taround 80K miles now. The 2.7 ecoboost with the 10 speed always gets rave reviews and may make sense for you especially because you're not towing.

If I was shopping, it would be F-150 with the 2.7, then Ram followed by Chevy. This is based off what I've collected from family/friends and my own experiences with those makes.

You could check out the Tundra as well, its a pretty old truck with less than stellar gas mileage though. I've owned a few Toyota's as well and they've had just as many issues as my domestic brands ( besides Chevy) so I don't see an advantage there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
Toyota Tundra.

Thanks for that link but I have real doubts. I searched for the F-150 to compare it, and found it said the F-150 was "38.6/100 = below average", while the Tundra is almost perfect at "96.3 Exceptional".

A broad consensus of well know automotive sites have the Tundra overall rated near the bottom of the pack, just sayin'.

It's 2019. I want turbos instead of lame cylinder deactivation.

Ford all the way! GM ain't what they used to be, Dodge is wayyy to gaudy and Toyota trucks are for soyboys and foreigners.

*old trucks are completely different. I'd take an old GM or Toyota.

I would buy a F-150.
Having said that, our 2001 Tundra has almost 200K trouble free miles.
Couple of batteries, shocks, tires, brakes, regular services. Everything else is factory.

we recently upgraded from a 2018 RAM to a 2019 RAM, thread can be found here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5014173/2019-ram-1500-sport

We are so far, extremely pleased with it.

We run a small fleet of RAM 1500's at work, primarily I believe, because they were the most cost-effective at the time. We've only ever had two GM's, and the body rotted off of them rapidly, though this is going back to the late 90's, early 2000's. We had 2x ~2000 F-150's, both of those were replaced by small Nissan's, which have now long been spun out of the fleet but are owned by staff. The Dodge/RAM 1500's are ~2010 through to 2015. A 2012 F-150 Platinum was swapped for a 2015 Laramie King, so we have 3x Laramie's with one of them fully loaded and the rest are all 2010-2012 base crews with the 5.7L and 4x4. We have one 2011 V6 regular cab. We've had no major issues with any of the trucks, in fact I'd say the most maintenance heavy has been the 2012 F-150 XLT which has needed major A/C work, hangar bearing assembly (it rotted off) diff work, alternator and cooling system work (new rad, thermostat, water pump).

Brakes and tires for the most part have been all that has been necessary, and these vehicles aren't babied.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Toyota Tundra.

Thanks for that link but I have real doubts. I searched for the F-150 to compare it, and found it said the F-150 was "38.6/100 = below average", while the Tundra is almost perfect at "96.3 Exceptional".

A broad consensus of well know automotive sites have the Tundra overall rated near the bottom of the pack, just sayin'.

From personal experience, having owned two Ford pickups, I would have to say that Ford is where it belongs on the reliability list. I would never purchase another Ford pickup.
The Tundra is not as nice as most of it's competitors. They have fallen behind and are in need of a redesign. But, from a reliability standpoint, they are a standout.

So, overall, what the best one to buy TODAY? (Towing is not a factor for me). Thanks.

Probably need more specifics like do you want gas or diesel, 1/2 3/4 1 ton, basic or fully loaded. Personally I think it's ridiculous they have these loaded $70K+ trucks but apparently they are selling. I'd look for a 2 or 3 year old model and put the $20-$30K savings to better use, but that's not what you asked. Nobody makes a bad truck so it boils down to what floats your boat more than anything else.

Toyota Tundra.

From personal experience, having owned two Ford pickups, I would have to say that Ford is where it belongs on the reliability list. I would never purchase another Ford pickup.
The Tundra is not as nice as most of it's competitors. They have fallen behind and are in need of a redesign. But, from a reliability standpoint, they are a standout.

The Tundra is outdated, ugly, and gets terrible MPG. If F-150s were unreliable they wouldn't be the #1 selling pickup.

Lifetime PU owner … decades … owned several of all the big 3 … mine and company …
GM

Originally Posted by atikovi
Probably need more specifics like do you want gas or diesel, 1/2 3/4 1 ton, basic or fully loaded. Personally I think it's ridiculous they have these loaded $70K+ trucks but apparently they are selling. I'd look for a 2 or 3 year old model and put the $20-$30K savings to better use, but that's not what you asked. Nobody makes a bad truck so it boils down to what floats your boat more than anything else.

Gas (regular).
1/2 ton.
Mid level package.

I will very rarely tow, if at all.
Looking for Value (bang for the buck, not just looking for the "cheapest one"), then ride quality, then overall reliability.
I do not want an overload of the latest high tech features. One with more basic accessories would be fine.

They're all good trucks. They all have the same degree of flimsiness and all will scratch and dent the same. I'd sit in and drive them all. I don't care for the seat comfort in the latest generation F150s, but different trim levels might be more comfortable. I find Rams the most comfortable.

If you want somewhat basic and towing is not a concern, I'd go with a Ram 1500 with the pentastar. I love mine. It was a ~$40K MSRP truck that I bought a year old with 12K miles on it for $23K. I got lucky on the price. Right time, right place.

I think RAM is the way to go if you are looking for value. Those seem to have the most 'refinements' of any truck, but I feel like the brand is still plagued with reliability concerns, even if those concerns are not valid any more. They would also have the best ride quality because of the multi-link rear suspension.

I think F150s are overpriced right now, even as someone who owned one for 13 years. They are work horses and quite indeed the #1 best selling truck, but that means you also get less negotiating room.

My 2016 F150 is a piece of garbage. It accelerates like a sports car even though it's a truck. It pulls my 29ft trailer like a champ and, get this, I JUST HAD TO REPLACE A REAR BULB that burnt out. Definitely don't get one of these...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back