Wife wrecked the van

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife rear ended a vehicle that was stalled in her lane Friday. Nobody was hurt in either vehicle, but our 2015 Sienna will probably be totaled. The radiator was pushed back into the engine and every air bag deployed. I'll take a totaled out vehicle over an injured wife! She was given a ticket, but she is going to court to fight it because the person in the stalled vehicle didn't have his 4 ways on, nor were his brake lights on. Worst case scenario my wife will be found totally at fault, best case maybe she can at least get the insurance part dismissed. In most collisions the driver that did the rear ending is usually found to be at fault, but it's worth a try. I never imagined the hoop jumping chain of events an accident like this puts into motion. Between filing an insurance claim, dealing the emotional stress my wife is going through, contacting rental car companies, contacting the bank we have the vehicle loan through, searching for a replacement vehicle (she wants another Sienna), and on and on. It's not much fun...I just keep telling myself, it could've been worse

Originally Posted by grampi
She was given a ticket, but she is going to court to fight it because the person in the stalled vehicle didn't have his 4 ways on, nor were his brake lights on.
Lol good luck. You should tell her to pay attention to driving when she is using her phone.

Nope, not on her phone...she won't even look at her phone when she's driving...

Wow, glad everyone was safe! Another Sienna sounds swell. Can save the insurance bickering for another day.

It is ultimately the driver's responsibility to make sure the lane is clear ahead, but, you know, another day.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Wow, glad everyone was safe! Another Sienna sounds swell. Can save the insurance bickering for another day.

It is ultimately the driver's responsibility to make sure the lane is clear ahead, but, you know, another day.

Yep, that's why I don't think it's going to change anything, but the only way to find out is to take it to court...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by eljefino

Yep, that's why I don't think it's going to change anything, but the only way to find out is to take it to court...

And if you don't ask, nothing changes. Best of luck!

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Thank GOD no one was hurt and I pray for a good outcome in this situation.

If anyone took time to think this over we all realize this could have had a much worse outcome. Let us know what the judge says. Good luck.

Best of luck, and glad your wife is ok! I was in a fender bender the other day and my, this process is NOT fun! I am trying to get in contact with the FHP officer's superior that ticketed me.

Maybe if it'd had bigger brakes ...
wink.gif

If no one got hurt, it's all good, no need to worry.

I'm glad everyone is fine. May the ambulance chasing lawyers leave you alone. I hope your wife doesn't beat herself up very long. It may take some time for her to mentally sort this out and let it go. It will be months before normal returns. Best wishes.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Maybe if it'd had bigger brakes ...
wink.gif

If no one got hurt, it's all good, no need to worry.

It didn't help that the road was wet...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JamesBond
What was the speed? Any pictures of the damage? I'm glad no one was hurt.

I didn't ask her, but I think that section of road has speed limit of 35 MPH. I have a couple pics on my phone, but not sure how to post them here....

Originally Posted by Kansas_Ron
I'm glad everyone is fine. May the ambulance chasing lawyers leave you alone. I hope your wife doesn't beat herself up very long. It may take some time for her to mentally sort this out and let it go. It will be months before normal returns. Best wishes.

She's already been getting calls from unknown callers...I believe they are ambulance chasing lawyers...I told her not to answer any of them as any lawyer involved with the case should only be contacting our insurance company...

I'm glad to hear that neither your wife nor the other driver were hurt.
I'd carefully review the penalties allowed under that section of the ORC which your wife was cited as violating.
Generally, hitting a stationary vehicle is hard to defend and most courts will not look kindly upon folks wasting their time.
Sometimes it's best just to chalk it up and move on.
We had a similar accident locally a month or so ago in which a Sequoia was run into the back of a rig illegally parked on the shoulder near a rest area. The semi driver was cited for illegal parking but the driver of the Toyota ended up with the county coroner.

Well grampi, she came out unscathed and there's your blessing! As far as insurance goes, you've paid it all your life, time for them to step up to the plate. Legally, if she gets hit, well, just take your lumps and move on. The good news is if you can put her back into a new Sienna they have good crash protection ratings:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/sienna-minivan/2019

The van did it's job and took care of what's most important!

Now we can shift the bitog conversation to "what oil to use in the wife's new Sienna".

My wife was hit head-on by another driver 10 years ago. Her health has declined steadily, several hundreds of thousands spent on doctors,hospitals, procedures, and our retirement plans changed direction entirely. We adapt, survive, and squeeze every ounce of enjoyment we can out of life.

As bad as your situation sucks (and it does), remind her to be mindful of her blessings and move forward positively. This will pass. Make sure she pays attention to any minor aches or pains that might escalate even months later.

Get a lawyer. I got screwed by a kid that hit me. Officer had a head cold and shrugged told me nothing could be done. The kid was driving twice the posted limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back