Please recommend a gas card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't use my checking account debit card for gas anymore. The numbers get stollen off of it by a device that the thieves use by inserting it into the gas pump's card reader. I need a gas card that can only be used for purchasing gas; that way if the numbers ever get stollen; the thieves can only buy gas with it. I need a gas card that I can use at Costco gas pumps.

If you are an AAA member, Shell/AAA are offering 30 cents off per gallon for your first fill up with the Fuel Rewards card (not a credit card, just a rewards card) and 5 cents off every fillup otherwise. They're really aren't any serious nationwide cards I can name of the top of my head with a better deal than that.

Get a visa card through costco then request a mere $500 credit limit. Probably some other perks for doing this.

You're not liable for stolen credit card numbers, and it's not your money in limbo while it sorts out. Debit cards are protected too but not as well.

I have a chase visa that gives 1% back... but three months a year they typically do 5% on gas.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Can't use my checking account debit card for gas anymore. The numbers get stollen off of it by a device that the thieves use by inserting it into the gas pump's card reader. I need a gas card that can only be used for purchasing gas; that way if the numbers ever get stollen; the thieves can only buy gas with it. I need a gas card that I can use at Costco gas pumps.

Costco doesn't take oil company cards they take Visa. I have their Citibank card which pays extra rewards on gas purchases. It also has a small balance and is paid off monthly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wymi516
Costco gift cards can be use to buy gas.

Gift cards are preloaded with money and I have to imagine not as secure to the customer as a credit card if money gets stolen from it.

Look at the scams where people pay the "IRS" by loading a gift card.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Costco doesn't take oil company cards they take Visa. I have their Citibank card which pays extra rewards on gas purchases. It also has a small balance and is paid off monthly.

It's looking like their Citibank card is the only option. Do you still have to insert the Costco membership card into the pump first?

You do at my costco, and I can only imagine that is the way it is with almost all or every Costco. If that would be a dealbreaker for you, I'd call a local Costco or two but expect to be disappointed.

It's looking like their Citibank card is the only option. Do you still have to insert the Costco membership card into the pump first?

Can't use my checking account debit card for gas anymore. The numbers get stollen off of it by a device that the thieves use by inserting it into the gas pump's card reader.

If that's the problem, perhaps you should be rethinking your desire to buy gas at that Costco.
wink.gif
The card isn't the trouble; the station clearly is. I realize it's much easier for their staff to sit indoors and not check the pump card readers periodically, but if skimming is a problem there, it's time to buy gasoline elsewhere.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I use a Shell card. It gets me .05/gal off whenever I use it on top of Shell Rewards.
Yep, same for me (though I have most of the others as well). Fuel Rewards and T-Mobile Tuesdays typically give me $0.25 off and then another $0.05 for using the Shell "Drive 5" card a 30 cent discount per gallon. I just pay it off each month and enjoy the savings. My AMG tends to like Shell or Chevron gas over the others, so I usually stay with one of them.

Get the Costco Citi Visa. It becomes your membership card and gives 4% back on all gas purchases, at Costco or not.

I have Discover and Chase Freedom that offer 5% on gas at least one quarter per year. Last quarter was Chase, this quarter is Discover. I like that I can redeem the cash back right away... Citi only pays cash back once a year.

Last year I spent ~$3800 for fuel. An extra 4%-5% discount is real money.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

if you are getting the citibank visa offered by costco that becomes your membership card. it will have a pix of you in the back. so you flash it to get into costco and roll it at the pumps.

What difference does it make if it's a gas card or regular credit card?

In any case, if it gets stolen, you will have it cancelled and not be responsible for any of the fraudulent transactions.

Costco card gives 4% back on gas up to $7K/yr, 3% on travel and dining, 2% at Costco and 1% elsewhere. No foreign transaction fees either.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Since my card number was stolen a few years ago, I've found it easier just to pay with cash. Not for everyone, but it works for me.

Same for me. You can't steal my money if I don't use your pump reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back