What’s the simplest fish set up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
How did your cat like the fish?

lol.gif

I was thinking the same thing: raise the fish to feed the cats, sell them and make money!

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
How did your cat like the fish?

My last Oscar bit the cat, and she stopped sticking her paws in it.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by BossMoss
I just bought a Betta fish. It has some kind of deformity, so they marked it half off at Petco. It's blind.

The girl said I have to buy a water treatment or use spring water. I suggested distilled water she said that's fine.

She said I can keep it in the little cup.

At lease I see he's in something bigger than a 5 oz cup that they use at the pet stores.

Perhaps it's the owner's fault.

If it's about to die, are you going to cook it?

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Welp my Oscar has ich.

Perhaps it's the owner's fault.

If it's about to die, are you going to cook it?

Welp my Oscar has ich.

New fish, an entirely new filter system, maybe it's just because it was Saturday
21.gif
Caught it early enough that he hasn't noticed, so I'm treating the entire tank.

If by cook you mean crank the water temperature to almost 90F for a few days then slowly bring it back down then yes
wink.gif
While I suppose you could eat an Oscar, I would not. Ich is a parasitic infection after all...

Last edited:

New fish, an entirely new filter system, maybe it's just because it was Saturday
21.gif
Caught it early enough that he hasn't noticed, so I'm treating the entire tank.

If by cook you mean crank the water temperature to almost 90F for a few days then slowly bring it back down then yes
wink.gif
While I suppose you could eat an Oscar, I would not. Ich is a parasitic infection after all...

Skippy, did you keep any of the original bio filtration from the old filter? Your gravel might hold enough beneficial bacteria to keep the cycle going for your oscar, but I'd still keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

I don't add meds to the tank for ich. Crank the water temp up to as high as your fish will tolerate and keep it there for 10days or so This speeds along the life cycle of the ich parasite and do lots of water changes and gravel vacs to rid the water column of the parasite. Feed very lightly during this time period and it helps to add extra aeration with the high water temps.

You can add aquarium salt to the tank. It acts like an irritant to the fish, causing them to form more of a slime layer, which also helps shed the ich parasite.

Last edited:
If you're going to keep a Betta, at least get it a better tank than that. Petsmart has a decent 3.5 gal fully contained acrylic tank, which normally sells for about $30, but is currently on sale for $22. It's what I have my Betta in, and he is doing very well. Easy to maintain, attractive, and definitely big enough for a single Betta with a Nerite snail, which I added in to help keep algae under control.

You'd need to buy some floor covering, like the little aquarium rocks, any decorations you might want, and food, etc.. but that's not terribly expensive. I bought my tank on sale for $20, and even with all the extras, it was only about $38 out the door.

Petsmart - Top Fin 3.5 gal tank

My tank setup, complete with my Betta, "Rocky":
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SirTanon
If you're going to keep a Betta, at least get it a better tank than that. Petsmart has a decent 3.5 gal fully contained acrylic tank, which normally sells for about $30, but is currently on sale for $22. It's what I have my Betta in, and he is doing very well. Easy to maintain, attractive, and definitely big enough for a single Betta with a Nerite snail, which I added in to help keep algae under control.

You'd need to buy some floor covering, like the little aquarium rocks, any decorations you might want, and food, etc.. but that's not terribly expensive. I bought my tank on sale for $20, and even with all the extras, it was only about $38 out the door.

[Linked Image]

It's blind. If I make it too fancy, it won't find the food. It has to be small. What should I do

[Linked Image]

It's blind. If I make it too fancy, it won't find the food. It has to be small. What should I do

They'll find it, they can sense it, they have chemical sensors all over their body. They can also hear pretty well.

[Linked Image]

They'll find it, they can sense it, they have chemical sensors all over their body. They can also hear pretty well.

Yep, plus 3.5 gallons is hardly "Big".. It just provides enough room for it to move around, room for some plants/decoration, and enough water to provide for sufficient oxygenation/flow, etc.. Smaller is just cruel

You can also get tank dividers for rectangular tanks so that two or more Beta's can be kept separate ... but use common filtered and treated water and lights etc ...

I used to have a few red-bellied piranhas before I moved to California. Piranhas are not legal here. Piranhas are sloppy eaters and the water has to be kept clean and rather warm or they will fall ill. They'll eat everything from Brussels sprouts and lettuce to chicken and beef and lamb, raw and cooked, to dinner table scraps. They will eat each other if there is not enough food. They are highly entertaining fish, but I have lost two housekeepers to them. I mean to say the girls couldn't deal with the little peckers and they quit. Mature piranhas become sexually at certain times of the year. You can tell because they lose their beautiful coloring. Breeding them is not easy because they are barely ever in the mood and sometimes they will eat their mate and also their babies. They can also grow rather large. My nibblers were a manageable 6 to 8 inches but they can reach about 12 inches in length. Keep only a few or they will decimate each other in the fish tank. The cat I had back then and my piranhas eyeballed each other all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back