Dont run out of gas in death valley!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw on another site.

Screenshot_20190413-144319.png

In Wyoming there is a gas station at an intersection of 220 and 287, a place called Muddy Gap. Same style of gas station.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Dont run out of gas in death valley!

I wont have to worry.....I've been to Twenty Nine Palms twice and don't plan on going back any tine soon.
grin2.gif

That's a fake picture. In fact, it's been several years since that Chevron closed and became an unbranded station. Even at the height of gas prices, that Chevron was never that high.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Last time I was in Death Valley (2016), I saw 2 Tesla's. They didn't care about gas prices.

I'd rather be out of gas than electricity

That photo is on yelp with a February 12, 2014 date on it. Note sure if that has anything to do with today's pricing. And the station is no longer a Chevron...

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
What is "diesel nr.2"? A summer diesel or a diesel of lesser quality?

It is the type of diesel sold in the US at the pump. It should be a ultra low sulfer version to meet our emissions standards.

Diesel No. 2 is the usual grade of Diesel sold across the USA. It specifies a number of physical properties of the fuel, the prime one being the flashpoint. No. 1 Diesel is often sold in Cold climate areas in the winter, as the lower flash point typically also means a lower cloud popint, etc... that transfers to better cold operation (though lower fuel mileage, as energy content is typically lower).

32.gif
#2 diesel was called "35 second" oil back in the day, in England, because it took 35 seconds at a particular temperature for a particular quantity to fit through a particular orifice. Kerosene, #1 oil, was "28 second" because of its thinner viscosity.

I've been by that gas station as a tourist. Yeah, it was expensive but not $9 expensive. The road it was on wove in and out of Cali so I have to imagine their special unicorn smog gas took a long journey to get there.

Doesn't look too bad for out in the middle of nowhere in Cali. There are/were a couple of $5 stations around Orlando International.

Last edited:
Gas prices in Canada are high but not that high! At today's price ($1.619 Cdn per litre in Victoria) and the current exchange rate ($1.333 Cdn per $1 US) we're paying $6.13 Cdn per US gallon.

I suspect the fuel companies are making a statement about their opposition to carbon pricing. That and making a few bucks while the going is good. In Canada essentially all the gas stations in an area charge the same price. Even funnier it has been investigated and there is "no collusion on pricing", which would be illegal. Apparently this is all some random effect.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Last time I was in Death Valley (2016), I saw 2 Tesla's. They didn't care about gas prices.
I'd rather be out of gas than electricity
I know, maybe they had access to an RV park plug or hotel or something out there within 100 miles of the place I saw it, It was the first Model X I'd ever seen. ( I think I saw an S after that one.)

Could be they used the Tesla Supercharger stations scattered within 80 miles of the middle of Death Valley. Those Teslas have a range of 250 miles at highway speeds after all.

superchargerDeathValley.JPG

Still, if you're planning to go there bring an extra 5 gallons, among other provisions. Hard to make it all the way in and out from a cheap station.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
What is "diesel nr.2"? A summer diesel or a diesel of lesser quality?

Yes, #2 is summer diesel

#1 is winter diesel

I've noticed a few Wal*Marts installing electric charging stations. For electric to catch on, a big retailer is going to be a supporter, as there is no room at Gasohol stations for electric chargers, along with 3 blends of gas, and diesel.

Last edited:
I just checked gasbuddy.com, and the price of gas in Death Valley was unlisted. The closest I could find was $4.95 in Shoshone, CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back