019 Hyundai Santa Fe plastic skid-plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
Needed to remove the center plastic skid-plate when changing oil & filter. Four corners use screws. In the middle are plastic fasteners that break off. Wanting to replace those (2) with E-Z plastic drywall anchors, which I heard are easier to remove from the flimsy, thin skid plate.

I can't find the BITOG thread that mentioned the size needed for best fit. Anyone know?

What are they fastening it to? I might get the biggest anchors available, or maybe just use screws instead, and drill out a larger hole so a more durable fastener is possible. That is if you can do so, that there is no problem drilling it out... or tapping it for a bolt instead. How about putting a stainless stud or bolt in upside down and putting a wing nut on under the plate for tool-less removal, or are you going to be doing enough skidding that you don't want it sticking out?
19.gif

Last edited:
It might work, but I wonder if it wouldn't be easier/better to just use some zip ties in there. Cut them off with some wire dykes and replace them when you change the oil next. I'd be afraid of forcing a slightly wrong sized fastener in the hole and causing more damage.

Trial and error on the size like most of us do? or get a cheap caliper from HF to measure the size?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Ron
Anything similar to these?

https://dependablestore.com/product...YXXulIuN_MhX9faanjE3A7ScZRxoCxpYQAvD_BwE

Yep! I think the one in the middle might be a close match to the (2) I destroyed getting off. I ain't buying more of those. I thought I might break the thin, flimsy plastic skid-plate removing those two retainer clips, if that's what they're really named.

Now I realize why I couldn't find the original post here at BITOG. I believe I found the EZ Anchor idea over at a Hyundai messageboard / forum. I will report back, if I find the source there.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Needed to remove the center plastic skid-plate when changing oil & filter. Four corners use screws. In the middle are plastic fasteners that break off. Wanting to replace those (2) with E-Z plastic drywall anchors, which I heard are easier to remove from the flimsy, thin skid plate.

I can't find the BITOG thread that mentioned the size needed for best fit. Anyone know?

Plastic and skid plate would seem to be an oxymoron.

Originally Posted by Donald

Yes, it's really a shield for aerodynamics and to keep things clean under there. A skid plate it is not.

I'm curious why or if Hyundai used this kind of fastener. Every vehicle I've seen lately uses the nylon push-pull fasteners or small screws or both. A pic would be helpful here.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Donald

Yes, it's really a shield for aerodynamics and to keep things clean under there. A skid plate it is not.

I'm curious why or if Hyundai used this kind of fastener. Every vehicle I've seen lately uses the nylon push-pull fasteners or small screws or both. A pic would be helpful here.

We are getting off-track. I don't want fasteners. I want the size of the EZ Anchor. I am not going to buy any more fasteners for the plastic cover.

Hopefully someone will chime-in. It might be a plastic one inch / #8 anchor with the Philips screwdriver head. Not sure until I see them live on the shelf. I think they come in a 4-pk, which is perfect. Don't want to invest more money, not until I find out if it works. I'll head over to the hardware in the morning.

Yep, don't blame you. Need Hyundai owners with same set-up, to learn their homemade workarounds for this.
I may start a thread on the Hyundai messageboard. Probably what I should have-done in the first place.

Just to add here, I think we are talking about the same thing. It's a round push-pull clip. I use a small standard screwdriver to pry the middle button out and pull down. The whole clip comes off. To reinsert, make sure the center button part is extended out. Insert the body into the hole and then push the button flush.

Some time back I had to deal with these things. That first time it was frustrating until I figured out how they work.

I have the same vehicle and just did the first OC on it. My impressions:

1. The OC is easier (but different) than on my previous 2014 2.0T Santa Fe.
2. The lower engine cover is thinner on the 2019, but the single removable access panel makes it easier to get to both the drain plug and filter (larger opening).
3. The two separate smaller openings on the 2014 often would allow oil to splash onto the inside of the lower engine cover, resulting in an oily mess that needed to be cleaned up. The 2019 arrangement (single access cover) makes this maintenance much cleaner.
4. The two plastic snaps were easy for me to remove and replace, once I figured out the trick for doing so. I'll continue to use them.

Good to hear they have that access cover. I've had to remove real skid plates before to change oil.

A useful tip, I spray some liquid lithium grease, WD40 brand onto a paper towel and wipe the screw threads and head with it. It doesn't take much. That will help to prevent rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back