Mobil1-Does it evaporate faster than other oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find a spot for this, so here goes. I lubricate firearms with Mobil1. It seems that sliding parts dry a bit faster than with other lubes. Does Mobil1 evaporate faster than other lubes, or does it otherwise not stick to the metal surfaces as well as other lubes?

Oil is not volatile at room temperature. Therefore, evaporation is a nonissue here.

You're talking about lubricity (how well the oil sticks). Most oils need some lubricity improver and the lubricity will vary from oil to oil. Most synthetic base oils are poor in lubricity and they need lubricity-improver additives or base stocks.

See this:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-oil-quality-index-a-ranking#Post4485179

This is motor oil section, are you looking for gun oils? M1 is pretty good stuff, you might see shear in viscosity with some weights, but that would be different then vaping off.

I use M1 on my guns.
0w40 on the ones that get used often. 5w50 on those that sit.
They all seem well lubricated when called upon.

I am not very knowledgable about lubrication in general, so my terminology is incorrect. What I have noticed in particular is the the barrel seems quite dry in my 1911s after a couple of hundred rounds. The barrel can get pretty hot in competition. The frame rails seem to stay a bit oilier, however that is not a location prone to getting hot. The other day I cleaned a Ruger 10/22 that had been in the safe for months, and the receiver was bone dry. So just empirically perhaps M1 is not the best gun oil. I'd been using Break Free CLP for years, and maybe it's time to go back to it. BTW, reading the gun oil discussions on the various gun forums and two things are clear: 1) people are passionate about what they use; 2) there is no consensus as to the "best" oil.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Oil is not volatile at room temperature. Therefore, evaporation is a nonissue here.

No, it's not anything like boiling a flask of oil at 250C.

In firearm lubrication, you are smearing tinily thin layers of oil over massively large surface areas...evaporation DOES occur.

water is not "volatile" at room temperature, but you don't sit there soaking in your own sweat.

Originally Posted by DesertRatR
I can't find a spot for this, so here goes. I lubricate firearms with Mobil1. It seems that sliding parts dry a bit faster than with other lubes. Does Mobil1 evaporate faster than other lubes, or does it otherwise not stick to the metal surfaces as well as other lubes?

M1 is known for mixing several base stocks into a base fluid - with virtually no two the same. I think of this every time there is a general M1 comment on this site ...

A light grease would probably work better for you than any oil, especially at higher temps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back