Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster mufflers

Status
Not open for further replies.

For you guys with performance old school cars I am looking to replace the header back dual 2.5" exhaust on my 396 Chevelle. Any opinions as to which mufflers might sound better and why when comparing Magnaflow and Flowmasters?

Magnaflow uses 409 stainless. Flowmaster is aluminized
smile.gif

Magnaflow's have a more deep bass sound. Flowmaster's have a raspy kinda crack type sound. I've had both and liked "both" kinds of sounds. Your best bet is to go to a car show, find a car/engine/exhaust similar to what you want to hear and go from there. The sounds you hear on video's just don't get it right. Remember the more bends you have the less loud it is. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
I had Flowmasters on my old 5.0 Mustang and they sounded nice.

Yep. Visit car shows and see the difference. Borla also sounds nice.

I have Flowmaster 50 series (3 chamber) with a similar setup on my K-5 Blazer w/Chevy SB 400 and love the tone w/no drone. Some muscle car folks like the growl of the 40 series (2 chamber) Never had any Magnaflow products.

Why would you want your muffler to weigh 40 lbs?

Zoomies out da hood!

Seriously when I streeted our '74 Vega GT drag car, I put header muffs and did behind the door turnouts.

I would go Magnaflow. I have a flowmaster 50 series on my 98 chevy truck with a 454 and it sounds okay but my 70 Monte Carlo with a 396 BB sounds better than it with some generic turbo mufflers.

I have a friend that had Magnaflows on his chevy truck and it sounded great.

Last edited:
My cars are newer but on the LS1 Trans Am and the 6.0 Caprice I have Magnaflows they sound better and are a bit better quality.

I've ran Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and Borla.

Borla was the best, Magnaflow a close second. 40 series Flowmasters were just to much on the highway.

I have magnaflow on my GTX. It was a PO choice but I am happy with the way they sound.

I have a Borla Cat-back system on my 98 Chevy K1500 which has been on the truck since about 2001 and it sounds very good and has held up well. I still think Magnaflow sounds a little bit better.

I haven't used either of those mufflers, but I'll recommend getting an H or X pipe in your new system. My old 400 Grand Prix had an awful highway drone with stock manifolds, 2.25" duals, and long glasspacks. A 2" crossover tube quieted it right down.

Sort of like comparing a Ducati with a Chinese made scooter... Not a fair comparison. Magnaflow all the way.

Most Flowmasters are chambered, and some even report a decrease in performance. Most Magnaflows are straight-through. I much prefer the deep sound of Magnaflows.

I have experience with both. Flowmasters rust out in 2 years here in salted road land. The Magnaflows have a smoother tone and better construction. My favorite would be Borla though. Built similar to Magnaflow but a bit more refined. Flowmaster is definitely the loudest if that is what you want though.

I've not had any experience with Flowmaster, but have never heard anything negative. I've got a Magnaflow axle-back on my Jeep, and the quality is excellent. Even better is the sound. V6's don't normally have an appealing sound, IMO, but this one brings the best out of the Pentastar. It really sounds good, but isn't so loud as to be obnoxious. I couldn't be happier with it. It also survived some hard bashing off-road while rock crawling in Moab. The tips are STRONG. The stock tip would have been crushed. On the Magnaflow, I'd have to show you up close where it hit for you to notice it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back