Oil filter cross reference chart/website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I've always found it easy to find the right model number for my vehicles but my Mazda 3 with skyactiv motor has thrown a wrench in that. I am constantly finding inconsistent results when looking for filters for this car. Just today a NAPA tech said it was a cartridge filter (it's not) and I had to correct him.

Back to the thread title. Is there a website or similar chart to cross reference all the brands? For instance, I know the Purolator PL14612 fits my car because I've used it a few times. If I could cross reference that purolator, I could easily find what other filters fit my car.

If only there were a way to search for things on the internet..

[Linked Image]

Most big brand filter makers have a cross reference tool on their website for other filter brands/models.

PL14612 is Fram 6607, but Fram 7317 / Purolator 14610 is an inch and a half longer, same base and bypass.
I use it instead of the 6607...

Wix 57002

This one is hard, because the filter came with either 3/4-16 threads,
or 20-1.5...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SirTanon
If only there were a way to search for things on the internet..

[Linked Image]

Did you even try that site? I punched in the purolater number of my filter and got 20 results, all were filters branded "Baldwin" WTH

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
Wix 51365.
Ph6017A.

I'm done.

[Linked Image]

This is the crap I'm talking about, Amsoil site shows the WIX 51365 as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
PL14612 is Fram 6607, but Fram 7317 / Purolator 14610 is an inch and a half longer, same base and bypass.
I use it instead of the 6607...

Wix 57002

This one is hard, because the filter came with either 3/4-16 threads,
or 20-1.5...

Yes! thank you. My Van (2005 Odyssey) takes the PL14610 which is roughly an inch longer and I wondered if I could just use that filter on my Mazda. Any ill effects from using the longer filter, like oil pressure issues or anything like that?

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Any ill effects from using the longer filter, like oil pressure issues or anything like that?

No, many people here run oversized oil filters. Just make sure it's the right oversized filter in terms of base gasket size and bypass valve setting the same if using the same brand in a larger size.

I wouldn't trust Amazon to look up parts for me. I needed wiper blades for my 65 Tempest. They have a good return policy if it's their fault. I looked up your Mazda 3 on Wix site and I can see where they have a 2.0 2000cc and a 2.0 1998cc that use different filters. BTW I have a 2018 CX-5. I mentioned to a service adviser I was going to change my own oil and they were adamant I use a Mazda filter. No reason given nor did I engage them in debate. I bought a Mazda filter $8.25 and a new washer $1.18 and a filter wrench from WMT $4.44. I have been using Wix filters for years now but I'll go with the Mazda filter for the Mazda. Just my $0.02.

Originally Posted by Randy_R
I wouldn't trust Amazon to look up parts for me. I needed wiper blades for my 65 Tempest. They have a good return policy if it's their fault. I looked up your Mazda 3 on Wix site and I can see where they have a 2.0 2000cc and a 2.0 1998cc that use different filters. BTW I have a 2018 CX-5. I mentioned to a service adviser I was going to change my own oil and they were adamant I use a Mazda filter. No reason given nor did I engage them in debate. I bought a Mazda filter $8.25 and a new washer $1.18 and a filter wrench from WMT $4.44. I have been using Wix filters for years now but I'll go with the Mazda filter for the Mazda. Just my $0.02.

Allowing yourself to be so easily convinced that you HAD to use a Mazda brand filter does the rest of your fellow owners a disservice. This is not legal behavior in the USA, unless the filters are free to the consumer.

Sis got a 2012 Skyactive engine (the 1998cc). All the cheapo filter companies said the one listed was for the Skyactive. WRONG. IT took WIX and Hastings 6 months to list a correct filter for the Skyactive 2.0l (1998cc).

Who do you love?

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by Randy_R

Allowing yourself to be so easily convinced that you HAD to use a Mazda brand filter does the rest of your fellow owners a disservice. This is not legal behavior in the USA, unless the filters are free to the consumer.

Nobody said I HAD to buy their filter. It was a recommendation. Wix only offers their white base filter, not their premium black filters. BTW My choice has nothing to do with the color.

A22AB2C4-C613-4368-AFFA-1C142B65B833.jpeg

Cross referencing problems are why I prefer to check a filter manufacturer's online application guide before going to the store, or looking at their paper application guide when I get there. For instance, try my (off spec) Wix 57356 (or the correct 51358) on Baldwin's site cross reference tool. Then try to cross reference back at Wix and see what happens. It won't give you the filter you originally started with. It will give you one, however, that I'm fully comfortable using, but you'll see where cross referencing can run off the rails.

I do like how Baldwin's site will show you the oversizes or undersizes of the particular filter in question when you use their application guide to find the correct one in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back