VW Passat 4Motion - tranny fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change the fluids in my parents' 2002 VW Passat V6 4Motion. It's 4 wheel drive with automatic transmission. What tranny oil and rear end oil would be the best for this car? I assume the tranny oil lubricates the front diff, but I'd need to change the rear diff oil as well. The car is daily driven even in winter, so I was thinking of Redline D4 ATF for the tranny, but I'm not sure what rear end oil is recommended. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Use oem fluid. I doubt the car need a change until 60k. Diff fluid is lifetime fill. I get mine done at a BOSCH SERVICE Center, special fill tool needed and VAG computer must be hooked up to do the service at the correct temp. $300. Worthwhile, Tip-o trans costs $6000 and Audi does not sell parts.

[ June 10, 2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

When I asked about a trans fluid change on my 2001 Audi A4 with tip, dealer said no recommended change until at least 60K or 80K if I wanted to wait.

$25 a quart for the OEM fluid...ouch.

V6 Passat with 4Motion is a rather expensive car. I wouldn’t play around with different ATFs. I think that using OEM fluid would be (and pretty much it is always the case) a best way to do a flush. $25 per quart is a rip-off. You might want to ask dealer if they would accept if you bring OEM fluid from another source. If yes, there are places online you can buy VW fluid from much cheaper (I think around $11-14/quart). If they wouldn't accept OEM fluid from you or will want to deny any warranty requests in this case I suggest go find another dealer. Independent tranny shops might be a good alternative. They know transmissions pretty well, but I'm not sure about your particular one. You probably will be able to safe some money as well.

Since you’re going to do a full service don't try to save a few dollars - change ATF filter and probably gasket (depending on its condition) as well. You might want to add Lubegard Red just as an extra assurance, but that's totally optional.

If you have close to or above 30k miles I think that changing gear lube (use only synthetic) in front and rear differential is a must (if it hasn't been changed before). In this case you'll be able to keep gear oil for at least another 60k miles without any concerns. This will also help to keep fuel economy at its maximum. I don’t know about transfer case in this car but if you change it now you can keep it for a life-fill. I probably shouldn't mention changing fuel and checking air filters.

Good luck on your service. I'd appreciate if you let us know what service you did and how much you paid for it (just for reference purpose).

Regards,

[ June 10, 2004, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Titanium_Alloy ]

Thank you all for the advice. I'll do this in the next couple of months, as the car only has 55,000 KM (34,000 Miles) so it's not critical, especially in summer.

I'd send a transmission oil sample to a testing lab before I'd blindly spend the money for a change. I would add an in-line transmission filter.

Redline told me that their D4 ATF is suitable for the VW, but they suggested waiting until the warranty had expired before using it...VW ATF doesn't have the red dye.

This Audi transmission service page is much like VW http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html

Ken

Forget fluid service until 60k. Change the hydrolic fluid if you want. Disconnect the in line to the res ahnd use it to drain fluid as you add to the res. Pentosin CH 11S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back