2017 Pacifica Adaptive Ttransmission Hard Shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
A year a go I purchased a 2017 Pacifica which has the new 9 speed that Honda is also using. After my first week of owning it we discover that is would hard shift really bad. So bad that you would look in your mirror thinking you got rearended. So the dealership wiped the computer settings and reset all the shift points and it had been great until 3 days ago. Doing it again. Wife was a passenger and thought we got rearended. And it started after a trip through the mountains. So evidentally the transmission learned how to shift going up and down hills but forgot how to shift on normal level ground. This adaptive transmisson suuuuuuucks. My main question is I would like to know if this hard shift is damaging the transmission? Has anyone else her had or have experience with these stupid 9 speed tranmissons?

Hardware issue not software issue. Hard shifting is the nature of dog clutch gears.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
Hardware issue not software issue. Hard shifting is the nature of dog clutch gears.

This minivan has a dog-clutch???

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Kibitoshin

This minivan has a dog-clutch???

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...smission-puts-dog-clutches-on-the-leash/

Let's put it all together now. To save space and increase efficiency, the 9HP uses two multi-plate clutch elements, two friction brakes and two electronically synchronized dog clutches. (The 8HP uses two brakes and three multi-plate clutches.) The way the gearsets are arranged inside the case, shifts from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 involve only the traditional friction brake and clutch elements. As you would expect, aside from 1st being fairly low and somewhat distant from 2nd, these shifts feel perfectly "normal." Under hard acceleration there is a momentary reduction in engine torque (courtesy of the computer to reduce clutch wear) and the shift occurs quickly and smoothly. The shift from 4-5 however is different. The transmission has to disengage dog clutch "A" in addition to engaging a friction clutch. This shift takes slightly longer than the 3-4 shift and the car's computer makes a drastic reduction in torque to prevent wear of the dog teeth. Shifts 5-6 and 6-7 again happen with the only the friction elements at which point we need to disconnect the final dog clutch for gears 8 and 9 so we get the same kind of torque reduction in those shifts. The result is a transmission that has two distinct "feels" to its shifts, one that has only a slight torque reduction (1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 5-6, 6-7, 8-9) and one that has a more "manual transmission" feel where torque is cut severely (4-5 and 7-8).

Originally Posted by Mark72
Ok
So if this is the nature of a trans with dogclutch... is it creating damage?

I can't speak to this as I am no expert, but it sure would seem it at least is weakening the engine / transmission mounts. If it's hard enough to make you feel like you were rear ended, I think its hard enough to eventually break the mounts.

So I took it back to the dealer...transmission shifting so hard intermittently it feels like getting rearended. They are putting a new valve body in it. I just dont understand how this can help when its software that runs this stupid tranmission. They said if this doesnt work then next step is to replace the transmission all together....its because of our federal govermnet chrysler and now Honda are putting these piece of sh@@ transmissions in them.

Last edited:
It can have internal pressure leakage because of problems with the valve body. There is a ton of parts that have to be running within tight operating conditions for a transmission to operate properly. Lots can go wrong with any unit and it seems it happens more and more with a lot of OE's because of the complexity of today's transmissions over those of yester-year. The transmission you have is quite sophisticated and when running properly is beautiful like it's cousin 8-speed in the Rams.

They will put the VB in, do a relearn along with a fluid change. If that doesn't fix it be happy they are replacing the transmission because they aren't cheap units and you will get the benefits of any updates / corrections they might have figured out between the time yours was manufactured and the newer unit they put in.

They can try and engineer out all foreseen problems but until they are in service there is no telling what might become an issue and they have to revise it. And while your transmission design has been out for a couple of years already it's still really new in that application so it can be more problematic.

The 62TE in my Caravan has gone through numerous hardware updates and revisions and there are something like 28 different firmwares for it depending on the year and build revision just to give you an idea of how they keep tweaking things and correcting issues as time goes on, that were unforeseen in the original design. Mine shifts slightly different than my dad's from 2012 yet they are same transmission just with minor revisions/updates and software.

It sucks that you have to go through it but these things happen. Most of the units have been ok since early issues were sorted out. Sounds like you just got a problem unit more than a design flaw.

If these units were really that bad they would have dumped them quickly like they dumped the Jatco CVT's in certain models they were using them in because they were brutal for failures.

At least it happened now under warranty than down the road on your dime.
frown.gif

Hang in there... All will be well I'm sure, just sucks in the moment.

Last edited:
Thank you for that reply. But what has me VERY nervous is that they reprogrammed it 15000 miles ago. Then it started acting up again. So now they are doing the valve body and resetting the software again and in 15000 more miles the warranty is up. Then I'm royally screwed when this transmisson grenades and I have no warranty...no money to fix it and 5 more years of payments. That's just...spectacular Chrylser. Thanks. Ypu have to understand I traded my 2008 Caravan that was running perfectly with 185000 miles on it because I wanted something newer and more peace of mind with my family in for another 6, 7 or 8 years. I should have kept my high mileage van and kept driving it in hindsight...oh and I pleaded my case with Chrysler and even asked for ad little ad 1 or 2 additional years on the warranty. They told me to go pound sand. Said I have to meet certain criteria before they would consider that. So I run the risk of having a financial crisis over this thing and no vehicle to drive.

Last edited:
Mark72 you can get a 7 year unlimited mileage or 8 year 125k mile maxcare warranty for under $3,000 from Mopar, which is a fantastic warranty. Covers literally anything. I have a friend who has over 17k in repairs performed to his Durango, though some of that was the dealer firing the parts cannon at it (had weird clunk, they threw new axles, drive shafts, and various other parts before finding a few bad bushings on a subframe). He even had a $7,000+ cam and lifter job done at ~155k, because 5.7.

I just plugged in 45k for the mileage doing a quick quote. I wish I would have bought one before they did away with the lifetime unlimited mileage option... sucks you might have to do that, but it does offer good piece of mind.

Originally Posted by Mark72
Thank you for that reply. But what has me VERY nervous is that they reprogrammed it 15000 miles ago. Then it started acting up again. So now they are doing the valve body and resetting the software again and in 15000 more miles the warranty is up. Then I'm royally screwed when this transmisson grenades and I have no warranty...no money to fix it and 5 more years of payments. That's just...spectacular Chrylser. Thanks. Ypu have to understand I traded my 2008 Caravan that was running perfectly with 185000 miles on it because I wanted something newer and more peace of mind with my family in for another 6, 7 or 8 years. I should have kept my high mileage van and kept driving it in hindsight...oh and I pleaded my case with Chrysler and even asked for ad little ad 1 or 2 additional years on the warranty. They told me to go pound sand. Said I have to meet certain criteria before they would consider that. So I run the risk of having a financial crisis over this thing and no vehicle to drive.

You have the option to extend your warranty call the number on your booklet and find out what it will cost to extend it further. You don't need the full plan, just coverage for Engine/Transmissions which might differ from what you have now and will cost less just extending this coverage for piece of mind.

Also any repairs that Chrysler does are warrantied for a period of time thereafter and should be covered. Most times when you have opened a work order prior to the warranty expiring if the problem persists right after the warranty has expired they will still fix it under warranty because it wasn't fixed the first time and there was a history in their system of trying to resolve the problem. Get all the details.

Also this transmission is actually not made by Chrysler. It's made by a 3rd party for them.

Last edited:
Mark, how many miles were on the van when you bought it? How many on it now? Is this a ZF transmission?

It had 29k on it when I bought it. Last May. It now had 46k on it. And yes..it js the ZF transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back