NEW Red Line Professional-Series 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good God. I was a bit amused when Amsoil decided to offer their OE & XL lines, albeit to capture a bit of API market share.

Makes me laugh out loud at Redline's blatant re labeling.

At least if they'd done in during years past, they could have capitalized on the various Swamp Rats' success.

Originally Posted by bismic1
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Actually, I think he's right, the products appear to be identical:
What you posted for the Red Line (RED LINE PROFESSIONAL-SERIES 5W40 MOTOR OIL EURO) doesn't appear to be the same oil that was posted earlier for diesel service (don't see CK, CI, or CJ ratings on the red Line Euro oil).

Yet its representative of what is going on here. Looks like the Redline parent company is pushing toward more volume sales, trading on the "racing" reputation of Redline PAO-Ester based motor oils.
They are trying to fool the consumer into thinking the "Pro Series" has some relation to the traditional Redline oils, and they do not have the high Ester to be true Redline oil. (They say they are Group3+PAO, which is the same as most Mobil1, and on par with other brand Group3+ oils.)

And, for those concerned that the Euro oil might be a "one off":

Redline Professional 5w-40 diesel oil
Kendall SHP 5w-40 diesel oil

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks! Pretty apparent to me that they're the same oils and that the Pro-Series line is just re-labeled Kendall. Glad you figured that out so fast.

Last edited:
I'm going to go with the more rational posters on this one.

I assume Redline engine oils are up to snuff, but as far as their "too large of a reputation to uphold unlike Mobil"...well, oil quality aside, Mobil is too large & has too many OEM fills to even notice Redline.

As far as regular Kendall or Mobil/Amsoil "junk"....perhaps drive over to Big Daddy's place & run that by him, and then take a short trip to Cummins South & ask them what oil they use as their high performance fills on Marine Diesels, and on the eerily similar newer Mercury Marine competition engines.

Hint - it's neither Valvoline Premium Blue or "ester based racing oil" Redline.

Originally Posted by racin4ds

He doesn't know and is just spewing non-factual garbage. Redline is a top tier syn company and is 10 times better than his M1. I will bet you money this oil is nothing close to regular Kendall, Redline has too large a reputation to uphold unlike Mobil...

Originally Posted by bismic1

Actually, I think he's right, the products appear to be identical:
Redline Professional Euro 5w-40 PDS
Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Euro 5w-40
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You were saying?
coffee2.gif

What you posted for the Red Line (RED LINE PROFESSIONAL-SERIES 5W40 MOTOR OIL EURO) doesn't appear to be the same oil that was posted earlier for diesel service (don't see CK, CI, or CJ ratings on the red Line Euro oil).

We are well aware of that.
My point was this deceptive marketing by Redline.
Either it is: we are too good to have approval, or:
We would offer you this oil, but BMW (and others) require mediocre oil to approve.
I gave an example of BMW as I am aware of oils that are approved by them and there are numerous oils that are approved by BMW that are Group III, or GTL (Shell/Pennzoil is supplier for BMW so there goes that argument it has to be Gr III or IV), there are oils that are heavy PAO based (Castrol Edge 0W30 A3/B3 B4, or C3, Ravenol etc, etc.
As Overkill posted, this is just Kendall product and soon they will probably go away with their Group V based oils. Conoco bought name, not product. They could not care less about product.

It's not news around here that C-P is the king of relabeling their oils.
I would happily try the Kendall 5w40 diesel oil, but I would not pay Redline prices for it.
I hope the C-P corporate parents don't start mandating Redline go away from their ester-based blends.

Originally Posted by edyvw

We are well aware of that.
My point was this deceptive marketing by Redline.
Either it is: we are too good to have approval, or:
We would offer you this oil, but BMW (and others) require mediocre oil to approve.
I gave an example of BMW as I am aware of oils that are approved by them and there are numerous oils that are approved by BMW that are Group III, or GTL (Shell/Pennzoil is supplier for BMW so there goes that argument it has to be Gr III or IV), there are oils that are heavy PAO based (Castrol Edge 0W30 A3/B3 B4, or C3, Ravenol etc, etc.
As Overkill posted, this is just Kendall product and soon they will probably go away with their Group V based oils. Conoco bought name, not product. They could not care less about product.

We settled that earlier and I thanked overkill for the clarification, but I can appreciate the added emphasis. It is disappointing to just re-label an existing oil and charge more.

Unfortunately Conoco really doesn't exist anymore. Phillips 66 has changed a lot after the "takeover".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ofelas
I'm going to go with the more rational posters on this one.

I assume Redline engine oils are up to snuff, but as far as their "too large of a reputation to uphold unlike Mobil"...well, oil quality aside, Mobil is too large & has too many OEM fills to even notice Redline.

As far as regular Kendall or Mobil/Amsoil "junk"....perhaps drive over to Big Daddy's place & run that by him, and then take a short trip to Cummins South & ask them what oil they use as their high performance fills on Marine Diesels, and on the eerily similar newer Mercury Marine competition engines.

Hint - it's neither Valvoline Premium Blue or "ester based racing oil" Redline.

Ok I'll ask. What do they use?

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
It is only approved/certified for CK-4 and not SN so it is a dedicated diesel oil. Does that mean that it will have a good amount of ZDDP?

My real question is why they are showing decade old ACEA specifications. The latest are 2016, and they are self-certifying. Is Red Line stating they can't get E7, E9 like virtually every other big name HDEO on the market?

Likely better than any Mobil 1 or Amsoil junk out there passing as high end syns...
27.gif

Any sources that support this "non-factual garbage"

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Likely better than any Mobil 1 or Amsoil junk out there passing as high end syns...
27.gif

He appears to have ducked out of the thread after I posted the screenshots that torpedoed his post
21.gif

Originally Posted by JAG
I don't like that Red Line is taking an existing oil from the parent company, putting it in Red Line bottles and increasing the price. But, as long as they don't cheapen their white bottle formulations, I can look past the black label debacle.

+1 !
I think this was a bad mistake and they should have stuck to the more exotic cars/drivers. If I was to use this line I would most definitely sub in a qt of ester redline and Archoil 9100.

27.gif

He appears to have ducked out of the thread after I posted the screenshots that torpedoed his post
21.gif

He always come to thread just to say: Mobil1 is bad.

Originally Posted by edyvw
27.gif

21.gif

He always come to thread just to say: Mobil1 is bad.

Yes, that's his typical approach.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks! Pretty apparent to me that they're the same oils and that the Pro-Series line is just re-labeled Kendall. Glad you figured that out so fast.

Those are just property sheets. Let's compare VOA's, it is the BITOG forum afterall.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those are just property sheets. Let's compare VOA's, it is the BITOG forum afterall.

Agree with UG Passat - VOAs where oxidation is measured would be interesting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JAG
I don't like that Red Line is taking an existing oil from the parent company, putting it in Red Line bottles and increasing the price. But, as long as they don't cheapen their white bottle formulations, I can look past the black label debacle.

ditto that

Originally Posted by claluja
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Agree with UG Passat - VOAs where oxidation is measured would be interesting.

Given the spec sheets are identical, I think you'd find that so would be a VOA.

I'm still alive and well gents... just not wasting my breath- No reason to argue over generic property sheets! lol

You M1 guys never change and opinions are like buttholes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back