Seeking recommendations for non marring lug nut socket (prefer USA made)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject says I'm seeking recommendations for a USA made or high quality import non marring lug nut socket in 1/2" drive. Need a 21mm but would consider a 2/3 pc kit with 22/21/19 sockets. Chinesium ones are available for about 10 bucks, but I'm willing to pay more for a quality US made tool.

put masking tape on a regular one ?

by non-marring you mean the kind with the nylon sleeve that protects your wheel?

Originally Posted by Rand
put masking tape on a regular one ?

by non-marring you mean the kind with the nylon sleeve that protects your wheel?

I could, but why? There's a tool for it, why not use that tool? The new cars now in the stable have nice painted wheels with small lug nut pockets, so I'd prefer a proper non marring lug nut socket over wrapping a socket in tape.

You will find out the plastic sleeve on the outside just makes the socket bigger. I use a thin-wall chrome 6 point socket if clearance is an issue. But tape works too.

I did a quick search and couldn't find any made in the USA. Found some made in Germany (Gedore) and Japan (Ko-Ken), and Taiwan or China, of course.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
Found some made in Germany (Gedore) and Japan (Ko-Ken)...

If quality is the primary goal, those should be just as good (or better) as anything made in the US.

I did a quick search and couldn't find any made in the USA. Found some made in Germany (Gedore) and Japan (Ko-Ken), and Taiwan or China, of course.

I struck out on the Gedore but found a Hazet made in Germany socket that I like the looks of a lot. Link to Hazet socket here.

In the absence of any other recommendations this is what I'll buy. Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Found some made in Germany (Gedore) and Japan (Ko-Ken)...

If quality is the primary goal, those should be just as good (or better) as anything made in the US.

Quality is the primary goal, that and not supporting the Chinese war machine.

Originally Posted by Traction
You will find out the plastic sleeve on the outside just makes the socket bigger. I use a thin-wall chrome 6 point socket if clearance is an issue. But tape works too.

I'm currently using a chrome 6 point but would like a little more insurance in the event the spinning socket contacts the wheel during removal.

put a set of quality McGard lug nuts on + safely use a regular socket. many of todays lug nuts are capped 2 piece cheapies + if you change wheels enough they will be an issue, although 6 point sockets help

Originally Posted by benjy
put a set of quality McGard lug nuts on + safely use a regular socket. many of todays lug nuts are capped 2 piece cheapies + if you change wheels enough they will be an issue, although 6 point sockets help

I've never had an issue with OE Toyota or Lexus lug nuts even in Michigan, doubt I'll have an issue in Florida. Will be sticking with OE lug nuts but thanks.

I ordered Hazet in 17,19,21,22 mm.

MAC VPT621MM 21mm

[Linked Image]

https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Brak...ct-Wheel-Lug-Protector-Socket-21mm-6-PT-

I purchased this set from Harbor Freight last year for both my Jeep and Toyota. Both have painted, and or powder coating around the lug nut area. I rotated the tires on my Jeep, and installed new solid, chrome plated lug nuts on my Toyota, and they worked beautifully. I didn't use an impact gun, but they are rated for that. Yes, they're Chinese, but the quality is excellent. Especially for the price. You're going to pay a ton more for something else of comparable quality. And if you get them, don't forget to get a "20% Off" coupon before you go. That knocks it down to just $56.00.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in...g-nut-impact-socket-set-11-pc-69829.html

And with the money you save with the coupon, you can grab a 25" Breaker Bar, and you're good to go.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-in-professional-breaker-bar-62729.html

Are we worried about chewing up the rim or the lug nut itself?

I am not a fan of using an impact on lug nuts that I care about.. would much rather take an extra 5 minutes and use a breaker bar.

The sockets posted above will protect the rim. NAPA had their set on sale for $30 a few months ago. Taiwan made IIRC.

Originally Posted by billt460
I purchased this set from Harbor Freight last year for both my Jeep and Toyota. Both have painted, and or powder coating around the lug nut area. I rotated the tires on my Jeep, and installed new solid, chrome plated lug nuts on my Toyota, and they worked beautifully. I didn't use an impact gun, but they are rated for that. Yes, they're Chinese, but the quality is excellent. Especially for the price. You're going to pay a ton more for something else of comparable quality. And if you get them, don't forget to get a "20% Off" coupon before you go. That knocks it down to just $56.00.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in...g-nut-impact-socket-set-11-pc-69829.html

And with the money you save with the coupon, you can grab a 25" Breaker Bar, and you're good to go.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-in-professional-breaker-bar-62729.html

I try and avoid Harbor Freight mostly because it's all Chinese. Regardless of quality of the component I prefer not to put money into their military industrial complex to the maximum extent of which I can avoid it. Sometimes this isn't possible, usually it is. For just $20 more than the HF set I bought Hazet made in Germany sockets. It's a matter of principle not buying Chinese goods for me as much as it is about quality, I know they can make good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back