coyote / Ronin

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a couple hot oil showers I finally decided to buy a Ronin oil plug to replace the Ford plastic toolless plug on my 5.0 f150. With an online 10.00 coupon ( use OIL in the online promocode ) it made the cost 70.00 to my door. Dident want to really spend that kind of coin on a drain plug but spending 45 minutes cleaning after a oil change quickly made my decision. Anyway, shortly after ordering I received an email with an "oil change tip" once installed they suggest you elevate the front tires at least 9" off the ground for maximum drainage. Just wondering, is this because the Ronin unit raises the bottom of the drain a tad bit higher and raising the front ensures all the oil comes out?

At $70 for a drain plug, it better change the oil itself & fetch me an ice cold beer while it's chang8ng it!!
cheers3.gif

When I 1st started reading your post, I thought, "UH OH! He broke the little clip!" But, you're right, Ford surely didn't have a GREAT IDEA about that oil plug!
I don't know about the lifting the tires tip. I'm just interested in what the new oil plug looks like, and how it works, if you have any pics or video.

Just looked up the oil change on the new oil pans....wow what a PITA!

Looks like a great tool and I'd be getting one also.

Basically, you just turn the plug and it comes out. But the problem is with the placement of the plug in refrence to the rest of the vehicle. The new 5.0 has a plastic plan, and the plug is directly infront of the sway bar. When you remove the plug (which has a large diameter hole) oil come out very fast and right on the sway bar. Its like opening a water hose 4 inches infront of a 1 1/2" metal rod, it spashes hot oil all over the place, 10qts to be exact. I have tried a cardboard deflector and other methods, same result. It really boils down to poor placement. The Ronin fixes this because you attach a hose and unscrew the unit to allow flow slowly right in to a pan. Probably going to get one for my dad too, I can hear him now, "what the f... was Ford thinking".

Watch the Ronin video, kinda solves all that. Its really only worth about 20 bucks but I dont have the time and patients to deal with my last two fiascos next week when its time to change oil.

My old 73 F100 had the same problem with the drain plug on a crossmember,,,old news, things never change...

That style of plastic drain plug is MARGINAL when used for radiators. So they use it for the oil drain plug instead?

Ford really can find a way to screw up even the simplest thing.

Edit: Wait, are you really supposed to buy a new plastic plug every time you change the oil?

I don't advocate violence, but somebody needs to be beaten with a rubber hose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
That style of plastic drain plug is MARGINAL when used for radiators. So they use it for the oil drain plug instead?

Edit: Wait, are you really supposed to buy a new plastic plug every time you change the oil?

I don't see an issue with the drain plug design. If anything, it's an improvement with a replaceable o-ring and no threads to strip.

It is definitely in a bad location though. Not sure why some makes insist in a crap plug location.

I was upset to find my new Jeep Grand Cherokee had a plastic oil and transmission pan. But at least it has a conventional steel, threaded oil drain plug, that threads into a steel insert molded into the pan itself.

The transmission pan is another story. It is disposable, and has to be replaced when the fluid is changed. While it has a drain plug, and can technically be reused in that sense, you have to replace it in order to replace the transmission filter, which is an integral part of it.

While you can buy them on line for less, some dealerships charge up to $400.00 for them. With the fluid costing as much as $20 @ quart. (The 8-Speed ZF Transmission takes 10 quarts). So when you add everything up including labor, "disposal fees", and everything else, you're looking at as much as $1K for a dealer performed transmission service. My last automatic transmission I had rebuilt, (Ford 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive), cost $800.00 total. Yet another, "engineering improvement".

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Basically, you just turn the plug and it comes out. But the problem is with the placement of the plug in refrence to the rest of the vehicle. The new 5.0 has a plastic plan, and the plug is directly infront of the sway bar. When you remove the plug (which has a large diameter hole) oil come out very fast and right on the sway bar. Its like opening a water hose 4 inches infront of a 1 1/2" metal rod, it spashes hot oil all over the place, 10qts to be exact. I have tried a cardboard deflector and other methods, same result. It really boils down to poor placement. The Ronin fixes this because you attach a hose and unscrew the unit to allow flow slowly right in to a pan. Probably going to get one for my dad too, I can hear him now, "what the f... was Ford thinking".

Sounds like it was engineered just to get you into Quicklane for service. I'm glad mine has a steel pan and steel plug and no obstructions.

Originally Posted by billt460
I was upset to find my new Jeep Grand Cherokee had a plastic oil and transmission pan. But at least it has a conventional steel, threaded oil drain plug, that threads into a steel insert molded into the pan itself.

The transmission pan is another story. It is disposable, and has to be replaced when the fluid is changed. While it has a drain plug, and can technically be reused in that sense, you have to replace it in order to replace the transmission filter, which is an integral part of it.

While you can buy them on line for less, some dealerships charge up to $400.00 for them. With the fluid costing as much as $20 @ quart. (The 8-Speed ZF Transmission takes 10 quarts). So when you add everything up including labor, "disposal fees", and everything else, you're looking at as much as $1K for a dealer performed transmission service. My last automatic transmission I had rebuilt, (Ford 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive), cost $800.00 total. Yet another, "engineering improvement".

Do they make aftermarket pans?

Originally Posted by hatt

Yep. Aftermarket pans for the ZF 8spds can be had for around $100. There's also options for pans with removable filters for this application.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by hatt

Yep. Aftermarket pans for the ZF 8spds can be had for around $100. There's also options for pans with removable filters for this application.

The problem with aftermarket add on parts, is if you run into problems. They can cause warranty issues. These multi speed transmissions aren't cheap to do anything on. And we purchased the Chrysler Max Care Lifetime time and mileage warranty when we bought the vehicle. So I wouldn't want to gamble voiding the warranty, or causing potential issues with it by installing anything aftermarket on the vehicle. It just isn't worth taking the risk.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I don't see an issue with the drain plug design. If anything, it's an improvement with a replaceable o-ring and no threads to strip.

It is definitely in a bad location though. Not sure why some makes insist in a crap plug location.

That design of plug has a major tendency to get super stuck and break if one must force the issue as it were. Seen it too many times.

That design of plug has a major tendency to get super stuck and break if one must force the issue as it were. Seen it too many times.

Plus the average person changing oil will manhandle it and then come to parts and demand a new one because it broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back