Amsoil SS 0-20 7k mi; Subaru 2.5L 50k mi; one year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a run of one yr to the day with 7,000 miles. 2013 Subaru 2.5 N/A engine with 50,300 miles. Fram Ultra filter with 1.5 qts makeup oil added. Wix oil Analysis report.
Iron 10
Chromium 1
Lead Copper 1
Tin Alum 4
Silicon 19
Sodium 19
Potassium 5
Mg 836
Calcium 1304
Phos 710
Zinc 805
Moly 206
Boron 195
No water or coolant
All other metals etc cSt 100c. 8.5
TBN 4.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron at 10 ppm is low for a Subaru engine, I think. .... Blackstone gives "Universal Averages", to be sure I'd have to see that one.
The only Blackstone Universal Average I can find is for the recent 2.5L turbo EJ, which has an average 17 ppm for 7,000 miles, or about 2 ppm per 1,000 miles or so. You beat that "similar" engine.
All looks good. Viscosity is perfect.
Amsoil is good stuff. Nev

Question: Make-up oil ---> do you keep it topped off to the Full Line all the time like some of us obsessed-types do?
That would mean your 1.5 quarts would really be more like having to add 0.5 qts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Iron at 10 ppm is low for a Subaru engine, I think. .... Blackstone gives "Universal Averages", to be sure I'd have to see that one.
The only Blackstone Universal Average I can find is for the recent 2.5L turbo EJ, which has an average 17 ppm for 7,000 miles, or about 2 ppm per 1,000 miles or so. You beat that "similar" engine.
All looks good.

Question: Make-up oil ---> do you keep it topped off to the Full Line all the time like some of us obsessed-types do?
That would mean your 1.5 quarts would really be more like having to add 0.5 qts.

I added one qt at about 4500 miles and 1/2 qt at about 6500 miles. Driving pattern is lots and lots of short trips in cold weather with a longer trip every few weeks.

Call me crazy but to me your engine isnt doing to well and I cant help but wonder if it was the Amsoil oil after all these years.

2013 Engine with only 50,000 miles and it uses 1.5 quarts of oil every 7,000 miles ?

I use conventional Chevron oil @ $2 or so a quart in my wifes 2012 Mazda with 76,000 miles on the engine and use no measurable amount of oil in that amount of time.

and my 2008 Dodge Durango V8 with 135,000 miles on it using conventional oil needs no make up oil in-between either.

Just saying, no big deal but Im not impressed with the engine or the oil in that Subaru, its just burning too much oil.

Last edited:
Question, I am looking at a 19 Subaru and the oil filter sitting on top of the engine, facing down has me concerned. Even with the ADBV on the filter videos I have seen show no oil being spilled out when the filter is changed, thus it must be flowing back into the pan. So, how does one check the oil level on Subarus with the filter up like this, when hot hoping the oil is still in the filter or cold assuming it has drained back down? I guess the question is, does the oil level change significantly between when the engine is hot or sitting overnight when cold?

You could probably have less wear if you figure out the source of Si which should be lower than that even if it was from sealants because you have 50K miles on the engine and this should have settled down by now.

Also there isn't sodium/potassium in the SS formulation so this is either from a previous oil you ran before SS or there is a minor coolant seepage into the system.

That said the report looks good and there was lots of TBN available for a longer run if you wanted. 0w20 SS is great stuff.

Thanks for sharing the report.

Last edited:
Looks great - low wear, strong TBN left, visc. right where it should be.

Consumption is a bit high, but some Subbies do that.

The wear rates are really low here; 10ppm FE in 7k miles. That's just 1.4ppm/1k miles. Not a bad UOA by any stretch.
All the other metals are so low they are just noise.
I agree the Si is a bit higher than what I'd expect, but if it's an intake leak, it's not horrid. See if you can find it.

No reason he cannot extend to 10k miles and try another UOA.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
The wear rates are really low here; 10ppm FE in 7k miles. That's just 1.4ppm/1k miles. Not a bad UOA by any stretch.
All the other metals are so low they are just noise.
I agree the Si is a bit higher than what I'd expect, but if it's an intake leak, it's not horrid. See if you can find it.

No reason he cannot extend to 10k miles and try another UOA.

Every UOA I have done with Amsoil it read slightly high Si no matter the grade, formulation of oil, vehicle used, air filter used etc. It was always a bit high.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Call me crazy but to me your engine isnt doing to well and I cant help but wonder if it was the Amsoil oil after all these years.

2013 Engine with only 50,000 miles and it uses 1.5 quarts of oil every 7,000 miles ?

I use conventional Chevron oil @ $2 or so a quart in my wifes 2012 Mazda with 76,000 miles on the engine and use no measurable amount of oil in that amount of time.

and my 2008 Dodge Durango V8 with 135,000 miles on it using conventional oil needs no make up oil in-between either.

Just saying, no big deal but Im not impressed with the engine or the oil in that Subaru, its just burning too much oil.

I agree. I made a post a while back "Amsoil Burning" addressing SS consumption in my vehicles. This Subie has never burned a drop of group 3 synthetics. We will see next yr what becomes of my lazy SS & PYB mix. Might settle down a bit. I can tell U that cold weather and lots of short 3 mile trips are hard on oil and adds to the consumption greatly.
Funny thing is my old 94 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 is the only vehicle that doesn't burn oil, not even this SS 0-20.

Last edited:
Nice results. One year is doable for you.

Yes, make up oil helps the TBN, especially 1.5 qts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back