Are they taking advantage of an old man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies. When I have some time I will call the dealer and see if they can get him into the rotation sooner, if they get a cancellation. This is truly a disgrace, that millions of cars are running around for years with the [censored] Takata airbags in them.

Originally Posted by Miller88
How is Takata still in business? Or is it a different company making the airbags now?

Went into bankruptcy and were purchased by the Chinese, IIRC.

So on a lot of the vehicles, at least Ford and Mazda and I have heard others, the first round of replacement inflators were the same ones that were in the vehicles to begin with. When they are "new" and have not had a chance to corrode, there is little to no risk of them being a Claymore.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Miller88
How is Takata still in business? Or is it a different company making the airbags now?

Car manufacturers are propping Takata up so that they can continue cranking out replacement airbags. There are no viable alternatives.

For now, car manufacturers are actually paying Takata for these replacement airbags. If they didn't, Takata would run out of money and shut down, in which case nobody would get a replacement airbag. It's a huge cluster****.

Takata made about 20% of the airbags in use. It's impossible to shut down such a large company and have enough airbags made both for new cars and replacement for defective airbags. Plus cars have more and more airbags these days with some having as many as 10 airbags.

My 2008 IS took a year of waiting, and finally had it done last year. So 2013 waiting till this Oct make sense. Newer car has lower risk than older car, it is all about risk mitigation.

Yes there is a back log but I would not be the least bit concerned about it.
The odds are hundreds to thousands if not millions to one of having it malfunction. (just a guess)

Its much, much, much, more dangerous driving a car then an airbag malfunction.
30,000 + killed in vehicles in the USA every year from accidents... 100,000 plus seriously injured from accidents and only a handful of air bag issues.

Last edited:
My brother was given a new loaner vehicle for over a month while waiting on a Honda airbag.

In the meantime, the dealer told him to park his car and not to drive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back