Gear Change 75w110 or 75W140

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend a 75W110 as an all-around differential lubricant and that is what I use in all of our four-wheel drive vehicles.

I like the 75w110 too.

I've been told that the 110 grade is at the higher end of the old/loose 90 grade spec - not sure how accurate this grade hopping is though.

On a daily driver, I use 75w110 in both diffs as well as in any gear driven transfer case.

Interesting. I usually don't hunt for specs, but tend to choose decently formulated fluids that work well for my ambients & intended usage.

Have any data sheets comparing your preferred 85w90 vs Severe Gear 75w110 ?

I use LiquiMoly GL5 SAE 85-90 in my older Benz and UJ100s that spec SAE 90 for my ambient range temp.
I also used Delo Syn-Gear XDM SAE 80W-140 for long 8-hour+ per day cross-country runs on my panthers (WA-FL-Quebec-WA).

That was just a suggestion ("you could consider" above), your application may be just fine with 110. In my case I want to be safe for the application I have. I did have a rear diff failure of one panther after prolonged daily runs using otherwise excellent Delo ESI 80W-90, but that unit was known to be a weak spot in that kind of application - I remember that Ford even had a TSB for some of those.

85W-90 is very share-stable, and it is important in my case.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
I recommend a 75W110 as an all-around differential lubricant and that is what I use in all of our four-wheel drive vehicles.

I was going to suggest a 75W140. BUT, when MolaKule makes a recommendation, I would go with what he suggests.
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, he definitely seems to make sensible, appropriate suggestions.

I've been happy with "fake synthetic Scamzoil" 75w110 for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back