have you ever showed up a chef/cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One summer I was working at an Italian restaurant. They tried to turn it into a "lounge" like place late night with a different menu. That's when they brought me in to run the kitchen. I would get there and do Italian food and transition into late night post partying food.

The whole kitchen was open to me even though I had a small menu of mostly fried foods to make.

So one guy wants some tacos, and the chef showed me how to do them. But I felt like it was just too bland. Basically just chicken, lettuce, tomato and tortilla and whatever else, not really all that flavourful. We even had pizza.

I look at the seasonings, a giant rack full of paprika, chilli powder, all sorts of spices and seasonings any restaurant would have. I sprinkle a very tiny amount, a small layer of multiple seasonings. So that each flavour is present but very far from any one overpowering. Garlic powder, onion powder, like 5 or so different seasonings.

He said it was the best tacos he ever had and wanted more. The owner comes back and said what did you do, he loved them, show me.

I then made pizza with the same concept of very lightly sprinkling multiple seasonings. It was a hit.

The next day the chef comes and says, " you're trying to change my recipes?"he was kinda upset but couldn't be upset bc customers loved them. He let me do things my way bc it was a different menu. Not that he had a choice. On nights I wasn't there, the food wasn't the same.

After eating my own foods like that, it feels bland to just eat pizza with no seasonings. I get home with pizza and season away.

Have you ever made amazing food and people got jealous?

The chef was amazed by my mashed potatoes... me=I've done this since 12? What is so hard in mashing them good (but not glue/gooey), mix the butter/butter supplement , milk, salt?

The bland food may have a reason: A lot of people try to eat less salty/spicy for /diet / heart / hypertension / stomach problems, so if they need more, there is salt+pepper on the table.

The chef being there for some time, maybe the owner/hall manager did not transmit/relay the customer feedback.

And I think cooking is one of those things where you learn something new all the time (Cutting techniques, various ingredients, tricks of the trade, etc etc)

Originally Posted by Trav
Nope, I even burn toast.

Trav, I must say I'm amazed you didn't modify an injector to get just the right amount of flame for this problem.

P.S. Grill bread in tick slices next to a good meat? 1 minute on each side and make sure you get the meat juices on the bread....

My wife doesn't let me experiment in the kitchen.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Trav
Nope, I even burn toast.

Trav, I must say I'm amazed you didn't modify an injector to get just the right amount of flame for this problem.

P.S. Grill bread in tick slices next to a good meat? 1 minute on each side and make sure you get the meat juices on the bread....

I once worked in a shop where a mechanic would regularly take bread and toast it using the acetylene torch for his lunch; I'm not kidding.

My boss thought he was nuts.

Last edited:
I always take food and take them up a notch. I want the WOW effect.

Meatloaf - grate Italian cheese in to it, topping is a homemade cranberry sauce with crushed tomatoes, spices

Alfredo use freshly grated nutmeg

Pizza on the grill, dough brushed with a chili oil

So many others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back