New Ford Ranger Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I had a business trip to Kansas City and expected to have my choice of an Elantra or Corolla, but ended up hitting the rental car lottery at National! They had a ton of really nice vehicles to choose from, but my eye went straight to this brand new loaded Ranger Lariat that I was the first renter for.

This is one sweet ride! Ford did a nice job with the chassis tuning, it's solid, yet has a really floaty ride with a ton of suspension travel that absorbs bumps with ease and still manages to take off ramps at a high speed with no problem at all. The Ecoboost 4 cyl has plenty of power for everyday driving, but the 10 speed tranny is busy if you're doing anything but maintaining speed. I liked the the interior, but the mirror control is completely hidden by the steering wheel to the point I thought the mirrors were manual until I saw the control the next day! The leather is also a bit too hard and plasticy for my liking, but the seats are really soft with a memory foam feel. Overall the truck drives great, it's a nice size and drives like it's even smaller. I'm not a huge Ford fan but I'd really consider buying one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh my, it has 10s on the speedo (as in 10-20-30-40-etc.mph), so that's a plus for me. Don't care for the typical jacked up in the rear look, but that seems to be the norm (except maybe the Frontiers).

Originally Posted by Dylan1303
Until you have to remove the wheel and other junk just to change the oil filter.

Do you not typically do a tire rotation when you change the oil?

Originally Posted by Rumble
Oh my, it has 10s on the speedo (as in 10-20-30-40-etc.mph), so that's a plus for me.

Don't most cars?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Oh my, it has 10s on the speedo (as in 10-20-30-40-etc.mph), so that's a plus for me.

Don't most cars?

Probably. I know some only list every 20mph with a dash on the 10, 30, etc.

Mine is in 25mph increments with 4 dashes in between.

How long is the bed on that truck? Looks shorter than the typical short bed.

Only problem I see is that the radio is tuned to the wrong channel, other than that , looks good!
92 for the Masters....
What were you thinking?

These look really nice and have decent reviews. The price is scary though, just looked and the cheapest quad cab, a XLT in my area is $36K.... OUCH.

Nice little truck. I've never owned a Ford, but this one looks good to me.

Being a direct-injected turbo, I'd be changing the oil every 3-thousand miles. I personally believe we're back to that regimen once again.

Last edited:

Don't most cars?

Not that I've seen lately in many of my searches for a new (or recent used) vehicle, which has centered around trucks/suvs. Ridgeline, Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, Frontier only do 20 mph increments. Countless SUVs/CUVs seem to be the same. So, I'm somewhat surprised to see the Ford Ranger buck the trend. Most of the full size trucks seem to have the 10's. It's not such a big deal if there's a digital readout in unison with the analog speedo. Our PT only does the 20 mph increments (with no digital readout), and my wife is constantly telling me I'm speeding!

Op, thanks for posting. Always interested in new vehicles.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by E365
Originally Posted by Dylan1303
Until you have to remove the wheel and other junk just to change the oil filter.

No you don't.
https://www.motor1.com/news/300071/ford-ranger-oil-change/

Yeah but the wheel well shield needs to come off and there is plastic clips to take it off which will break over time and it's not easy to do if you have the vehicle tire in place unless you were changing the oil from a pit or on a hoist. Try doing it laying on your back under the thing or from the side with the wheel still in the well.

Last edited:

Don't most cars?

Not that I've seen lately in many of my searches for a new (or recent used) vehicle, which has centered around trucks/suvs. Ridgeline, Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, Frontier only do 20 mph increments. Countless SUVs/CUVs seem to be the same. So, I'm somewhat surprised to see the Ford Ranger buck the trend. Most of the full size trucks seem to have the 10's. It's not such a big deal if there's a digital readout in unison with the analog speedo. Our PT only does the 20 mph increments (with no digital readout), and my wife is constantly telling me I'm speeding!

Oh, i see. I thought you meant that most other speedos would show 15, 25, 35, etc. instead of 10, 20, 30.

Yeah, the 20 mph increment is common. That is how all the cars in my sig are scaled. I actually like it that way. I hate when a gauge is cluttered with too many numbers/digits. When your speedo goes to 160 mph, having each 10 called out ends up beeing too busy looking, IMO.

Edit: I had to do another take. The speedo on wife's Q5 is actually dual scaled. From 0 to 100 it goes every 10, and from 100 to 160 it goes every 20 as the scale is more compressed there.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I had a business trip to Kansas City and expected to have my choice of an Elantra or Corolla, but ended up hitting the rental car lottery at National!
Suprising how a hot new seller, with, you'd think, high sticker prices, would be purchased by cost-conscious National rental. Maybe they are looking at projected resale price too and crunched the numbers to look good. (?)

This Ranger was made in the same factory as 2 of my vehicles, Ford Focus/C-Max.
If they were to put the Ford C-Max & hybrid Fusion powertrain in the Ranger, maybe upping the displacement from 2.0L to 2.5L, it would make a great Ranger Hybrid!
Some at that factory might be thinking that. The low-end torque punch from the electric motors, combined with 2.5L or 3.0L for longer mountain strides would work well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back