Late model old tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JLTD

Body on frame.

Nope... nothing can go wrong with a body-on-frame Toyota truck.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by supton
Tundra also--no start/stop, AFM, DI, etc. 6AT last I knew of too. It's main weakness is DOHC and while that's not a real problem, the cam tower sealing is (high leakage rate). Along with the typical Toyota problems (rust, water pumps, rust, steering racks, rust, front diff and rust). Sealed automatic too, and at some point they ditched the ATF cooler apparently (there's a recent thread on the topic).

I'll second the Tundra.

As late as 2016, it still had an oil cooler and a big transmission cooler. Simple, big V-8 (which sounds great when you get on it, by the way), port FI, conventional automatic. That simplicity is why I bought it over the competition. That simplicity also results in lousy gas mileage when compared with the competition.

The automatic isn't "sealed", but it's not super easy to service. A fill port is on the side, and you set the level using a plug that has a standing tube above it. Open the plug at a specified temperature range, be certain that the fluid is up to the standpipe level by observing the fluid drain. It was easier to do a cooler line flush on this (which requires pinning the oil cooler thermostat open) than on many cars I've owned.

No rust yet on mine, despite snow and salt water. But it got Fluid film when it was brand new, and AMSOIL MP every oil change.

Not one repair, yet, either.

Just fluids and filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Yaris hatchback qualifies. I think the rebadged Mazda2 called Yaris sedan is also non-DI
smile.gif

The manual Spark is non-DI, but the auto is a CVT.

The 20 Yaris hatch is also a Mazda 2.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
mad.gif

Mazda is inferior to Toyota! Mazdas rust after 3 years! Toyota makes the best cars, especially their 4-cylinder offerings
smile.gif

Nissan for sure for trucks, the best dollar value IMO + yes i own one a preowned 11 frontier SV 6 spd man 4WD V-6 king cab, good performance + averaging 19 mpg with a lot of local driving in hilly PA.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by AZjeff
With all the hand wringing about AFM, GDI, CVTs, small displacement turbos, EVs, hybrids, 9 speed trannys, and every other latest technology are there many current models that would be considered "traditional" technology without any of these loathsome features? Since I've been looking at trucks lately it seems that the Frontier and Titan fall in this group. What are some other current old tech vehicles, say 2015 up?

"New Tech" on BITOG gets "hand wringing" whether it justified or not.

My Silverado 1500-Crew Cab 4WD gets much better mpg that the Frontier-and it's far more capable. It (new tech) is not always a bad thing.

Aren't those the trucks with the class-action lawsuit for AFM failures?

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Originally Posted by JLTD

Body on frame.

Nope... nothing can go wrong with a body-on-frame Toyota truck.

I don't believe I ever said that nothing can go wrong with body on frame. Anything can break.

How much of the dislike for the latest tech depends on where in the vehicle life cycle you buy your vehicles? If you trade every 3 years for new it doesn't matter much but if your idea of low mileage is under 150k then what was high tech 10 years ago is more to fail during your ownership.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by AZjeff
With all the hand wringing about AFM, GDI, CVTs, small displacement turbos, EVs, hybrids, 9 speed trannys, and every other latest technology are there many current models that would be considered "traditional" technology without any of these loathsome features? Since I've been looking at trucks lately it seems that the Frontier and Titan fall in this group. What are some other current old tech vehicles, say 2015 up?

"New Tech" on BITOG gets "hand wringing" whether it justified or not.

My Silverado 1500-Crew Cab 4WD gets much better mpg that the Frontier-and it's far more capable. It (new tech) is not always a bad thing.

Aren't those the trucks with the class-action lawsuit for AFM failures?

Just Google class action and your make and model of choice including Titan and Tundra there is someone looking to scheme a quick buck.

2018 Grand Caravan. Simple as you can get. Gets lots of dings from CR due to low tech. Love mine. 3.6 pentastar with 6 speed.

Sonata just has GDI.
Silverado HD with 6.0L I think is pretty old school.
Not sure if Subaru's are direct injection? You can get them with a stick.

Originally Posted by tiger862
2018 Grand Caravan. Simple as you can get. Gets lots of dings from CR due to low tech. Love mine. 3.6 pentastar with 6 speed.

What does CR put the reliability at? Poor like they rate everything else FCA makes or were they reasonable for once?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The Chevy SS was about as close as possible in a sedan. A 6.2L V8 with either a 6 speed auto or a 6 speed manual.

But it didn't have a carburetor, a distributor, rear drum brakes, manual windows, or an AM radio with one dash mounted speaker.

Originally Posted by Astro14

Originally Posted by supton
Tundra also--no start/stop, AFM, DI, etc. 6AT last I knew of too. It's main weakness is DOHC and while that's not a real problem, the cam tower sealing is (high leakage rate). Along with the typical Toyota problems (rust, water pumps, rust, steering racks, rust, front diff and rust). Sealed automatic too, and at some point they ditched the ATF cooler apparently (there's a recent thread on the topic).

I'll second the Tundra.

As late as 2016, it still had an oil cooler and a big transmission cooler. Simple, big V-8 (which sounds great when you get on it, by the way), port FI, conventional automatic. That simplicity is why I bought it over the competition. That simplicity also results in lousy gas mileage when compared with the competition.

The automatic isn't "sealed", but it's not super easy to service. A fill port is on the side, and you set the level using a plug that has a standing tube above it. Open the plug at a specified temperature range, be certain that the fluid is up to the standpipe level by observing the fluid drain. It was easier to do a cooler line flush on this (which requires pinning the oil cooler thermostat open) than on many cars I've owned.

No rust yet on mine, despite snow and salt water. But it got Fluid film when it was brand new, and AMSOIL MP every oil change.

Not one repair, yet, either.

Just fluids and filters.

Been meaning to tell you, make sure to hammer out the pins on the front brakes--they like to take a set from rust. I made the mistake of letting them sit for a couple of years, and they have to be hammered out. Luckily they clean up easily enough, but now I need to get a spare set.

[Linked Image]

Aside from the AFM. The Caprice is a big engine compartment (lots of room for activities)N/A 6.0 V8, 6 speed and RWD. Not many frills except for traction control and stabilitrak which you can turn off.
smile.gif

Easy to maintain, makes plenty of torque and power. Someone mentioned the Chevy SS. Just about the same.
Easy to work on, pretty cheap to fix as they are LS based.
Closest thing you are going to get to a Mid 50's through mid 70's 4 door sedan, but it is going to stop better, be faster and handle better.

That is also why I like my 2002 2500HD. I know not technically late model but 6.0, 4L80E, and 10.5 inch 14 Bolt. Nothing to break.

Originally Posted by MCompact
The Chevy SS was about as close as possible in a sedan. A 6.2L V8 with either a 6 speed auto or a 6 speed manual.

But it didn't have a carburetor, a distributor, rear drum brakes, manual windows, or an AM radio with one dash mounted speaker.

Haha, awesome. Even a service van, which is years behind pickups in tech, has a lot of tech now. You can't really escape it. And most of it is far better.

We have never had service trucks last longer than now, and we have 40 years of evolution under our belt. Definitely more reliable than ever.

Even my sig sedan, which is an oldie now with only 9 computers in a CAN/BUS setup, has been dead reliable. 110k miles and running quicker than new.

What's not to like about tech? Just be cautious about being first in line is about all I'd say....

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by tiger862

What does CR put the reliability at? Poor like they rate everything else FCA makes or were they reasonable for once?

They put it as a 5.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Haha, awesome. Even a service van, which is years behind pickups in tech, has a lot of tech now. You can't really escape it. And most of it is far better.

We have never had service trucks last longer than now, and we have 40 years of evolution under our belt. Definitely more reliable than ever.

Even my sig sedan, which is an oldie now with only 9 computers in a CAN/BUS setup, has been dead reliable. 110k miles and running quicker than new.

What's not to like about tech? Just be cautious about being first in line is about all I'd say...

One of the trucks at work is at Ryder (again) after it shut down on the driver yesterday. Ryder guy showed up, it ran fine and had no codes. Started driving back, got 5 miles, and the STOP ENGINE light came on. Wrecker came, towed it back, and the Ryder guy said it fired right up yesterday morning and ran fine. The guy put ~10 miles on it, no check/stop lights, and brought it back.

This morning, it ran ~5 minutes (driver hooking up to his trailer) and shut down again.

Tech is great...when it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back