OMG HELP!! New Powerstroke 6.7 oil recommendation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by cglenn
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by beanoil
Dropping the DPF, deleting the EGR and getting rid of the regen cycle gets you an extra 3 MPG and can produce another 100HP easily.
My 2016 is happy on a syn blend 15w40.

Ahhh, that fresh Houston air! Let your kids breathe it!

I deleted my 6.4 at 18K on the clock and never seen any fuel/oil dilution after that. Seriously the truck was in mint condition until I seen a drop of coolant and got nervous. It was just a coolant hose at the back of the horizontal EGR cooler after pressure testing but my go to diesel guy said to get rid of it asap as it could be a ticking bomb. He got me all nervous. I was going to wait on the 7.3 gas but I never want to buy anything that is a 1st year production so that nixed that and then the 2020 6.7 is getting a significant redesign on the fuel side with even higher (36k psi) injection pressures and a vvt so that made me nervous too.

Yes, deleting eliminated the fuel dilution on my 6.7. And my oil does not become black as coal instantly anymore. And wear is lower. And engine is much more reliable and will probably last twice as long. Steward of reality.

Last edited:
A good steward would conclude that substantially lower fuel consumption outweighs the benefits of a minor reduction of tailpipe emissions.

Originally Posted by Donald
We need to be good stewards of the air we breathe. Leave all the emission control parts intact.

We need to be good stewards of the air we breathe. Leave all the emission control parts intact.

Tell that to all the refineries here on the Gulf coast.

Have a read.

Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the Texas Clean Air Act of up to $25,000 per violation.

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/mobilesource/vetech/tampering.html

Good thing I didn't sell it as a tampered vehicle. I just temporarily modified the vehicle to meet my safety requirements and then returned it to original factory condition prior to selling.

Originally Posted by ofelas
A good steward would conclude that substantially lower fuel consumption outweighs the benefits of a minor reduction of tailpipe emissions.

THIS

Last edited:
Have a read.

Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the Texas Clean Air Act of up to $25,000 per violation.

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/mobilesource/vetech/tampering.html

It's primarily a violation of Federal Law to tamper with emissions equipment for "on road" vehicles. In the United States the individual states will typically copy Federal Law if they so desire.

Tell that to all the refineries here on the Gulf coast.

And why not exacerbate the smell/emissions coming from Texas City/Pasadena by adding your own !
thankyou2.gif

I miss the days of living in downtown Houston when I could walk outside on the porch in the morning and smell the ship channel coming in on that pure gulf breeze.

THIS

That's what Volkswagen thought.

And VW, bless their barking little neurotic Teutonic souls, would be right.

I reckon you'd be cheering electric vehicle Li batteries as well, never mind the leaching/mining/disposal impact on countries that don't have self proclaimed SJWs.

I'd say a perfect environmental steward would rip the couple thousand lbs of padded seats, sound deadener, creature comforts, bloated music systems, opt for zero rustproofing or paint, and heck, remove the AC/heater as well - wool socks in winter are far lighter. May as well remove all glass & wear Bolle-ghey goggles & use foam earplugs for that real driver-in-control feeling.

All the above should definitely help save the environment; less weight = better mileage.

THIS

That's what Volkswagen thought.

Thanks but that doesn't really tell me what is the best performing oil out for the 6.7.

14 posts in 15 years as of this morning? That's a form of restraint we rarely see here! Not sure how much you lurk versus posting .... but I'll let you in on a little secret .....

Your assumption that there is a "best performing oil" is where you're running aground. There are MANY good lubes that will protect your new truck. ANYTHING off the Ford approved list would be just fine. Any brand, any grade.
To actually prove something "best" there would have to be scores of tests run with both control and test groups, in the application that you'd be specifically involved with. The amount of time/money it would take to prove something "best" is WAY out of the reach of any BITOGer.

Don't bench-race the contents of the bottle. Rather, focus on the outputs; what do UOAs tell us? In that regard, most any API licensed oil that's on Ford's approved list is going to be well more than adequate; they will do a very good job. In fact I would challenge you, or anyone else, to show real proof that there actually is a difference in wear protection from the choices on Ford's approved list. From all the data I've seen in scores of applications across diesel and gas engines, there's actually very little distinct difference in actual "performance" in terms of wear control for most lubes.

Despite all the hype against thinner grades, they prove that they can protect against wear just as well when real data is used rather than hyperbole and hype. Using a 30 grade won't make it "better", but it also won't "hurt" your engine by any means.

Go get anything you can find at a price you are happy with from the approved Ford list. Find something else in life that actually matters worth worrying about.

Last edited:
It appears from the supplied website that 30 weight is not going to cut the mustard. That leaves the cold weather characteristics as being a deciding factor. With the modern formulations you could run the Ford approved CK-4 in a 0w40, or if you choose you can tailor the oil to the lowest temp you will see. Since you're in Houston ( I lived there for three years a long time ago) you could easily go with the 15w40 and if you were worried about the Blue Northers, you could switch to a 5w40 for the winter but even that would be overkill. The trick is to get an oil that meets those new Ford specs.

Sounds like the safe bet is the Motorcraft 15w40. I guess I will get a jug and do a VOA as I can't locate one here unless its a result of my poor search skills.

Thanks.

^^ I agree^^ (or anything on the Ford list) Me personally, I would go with the Motorcraft, there is no reason not to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I know you're not going to want to hear this but nobody knows what the "best performing oil" is. Theoretically, in your case, the "best" would be whatever grade/spec is recommended by Ford.

thumbsup2.gif

And VW, bless their barking little neurotic Teutonic souls, would be right.

I reckon you'd be cheering electric vehicle Li batteries as well, never mind the leaching/mining/disposal impact on countries that don't have self proclaimed SJWs.

I'd say a perfect environmental steward would rip the couple thousand lbs of padded seats, sound deadener, creature comforts, bloated music systems, opt for zero rustproofing or paint, and heck, remove the AC/heater as well - wool socks in winter are far lighter. May as well remove all glass & wear Bolle-ghey goggles & use foam earplugs for that real driver-in-control feeling.

All the above should definitely help save the environment; less weight = better mileage.

Hey, don't you remember these are the same eco-wackos like AlGore that live in huge mansions fueled by coal burning electricity, fly everywhere in private jets, drive in big SUVs or limos, and vacation of multi-engined diesel yachts?

"Environmentalism for thee, but not for me"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back