Hyunda OEM vs. Fram Ultra Flow Rate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When comparing the flow rate of the Hyundai OEM blue color can oil filter versus the Fram Ultra gold color oil filter - which has the better flow rate ?

My Santa Fe was quite fussy on filters and there was a TSB about that era Hyundai's to use OEM filters only. I found that the Amsoil EAO filter and the Hyundai filter were the only ones that wouldn't create a problem, I tried several off the shelf filters and had issues.

I'm sure this has changed in current models but just letting you know there can be a difference. Pay attention when you change the filter and see if there is anything different in the engine's sound.

I would have full confidence in the Fram Ultra filter because when I asked the former Fram guy on here about it for my application I was told it flowed double what the OE required for my application.

Last edited:
The OE requirement was obviously way off, when Hyundai finally sent out notices to use the OEM filter. If Fram Ultra flowed double the requirement. Then OEM quadrupled-flowed beyond the requirement.

Not quite understanding how Ultras can trap the best and flow the best. Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Nothing that traps (ballpark) 99/20 can flow the same as one 95/20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Not quite understanding how Ultras can trap the best and flow the best. Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Nothing that traps (ballpark) 99/20 can flow the same as one 95/20.

You should take the time to learn about different media then.

Yeah, I don't think flow vs. filtration is the crux of the argument between these two filters. I've used both in my 2013 Hyundai and there's been no difference in sound or anything else that I can determine. One of the reasons I migrated to the Ultra was a post that Jay from Fram made about specifically working with Hyundai to cover the specs and some tweaks that they made. It gave me a little more confidence in using them vs. the OEM filter.

From a PM where Jay answered my concerns he said "Our filters exceed all hyundai specifications". I am alternating between Ultra and OEM. No unusual noises with either.

My take owning an Elantra I have a pretty good chance of having a trouble free experience. With Jay's departure from Fram I may just buy OEM from now on. It is a design/manufacturing, etc issue causing higher then normal engine failure. Not the oil filter.

OP: Where did you obtain the flow metrics for the OEM filter (or even the Fram Ultra)?

In my '12 Optima, I've used both the old and new OEM filter, the Purolator Boss and PureONE filters and the Fram Ultra filters over nearly 7 years of ownership. All with 0W-40 oil (either Mobil1 or Castrol EDGE).

No discernible difference in startup performance (e.g., sounds, etc.), either hot or cold for my 2.0T engine. I now use the Fram Ultra as my de-facto filter.

Last edited:
I run the FU on my other cars and considered using it on my Hyundai, but ended up weaseling out due to warranty purposes. I know, Magnuson-Moss and all that, but the OEM Hyundai filter is cheap and works fine, and won't give Hyundai a reason to possibly deny an oil-related warranty claim (God forbid I ever need one).

The only thing I didn't like about the Hyundai filters is the gasket which would more often than not stay on the block when removed. (yes I lubed it up good when putting it on, and didn't over tighten)
Although this is a moot point now as they move to cartridge filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
OP: Where did you obtain the flow metrics for the OEM filter (or even the Fram Ultra)?

In my '12 Optima, I've used both the old and new OEM filter, the Purolator Boss and PureONE filters and the Fram Ultra filters over nearly 7 years of ownership. All with 0W-40 oil (either Mobil1 or Castrol EDGE).

No discernible difference in startup performance (e.g., sounds, etc.), either hot or cold for my 2.0T engine. I now use the Fram Ultra as my de-facto filter.

Maybe because you are using 0W- oil?

I've used them all on my 2.4 Theta's since 2010. Not one makes/made a difference.

Wix
Fram TG/Ultra
OE
M1
NapaGold
Proselect (Napa)
NapaPlatinum
Purolator Boss/One
STP EP/Blue
Valvoline VO-01
Champion
SuperTECH

Originally Posted by mclasser
I run the FU on my other cars and considered using it on my Hyundai, but ended up weaseling out due to warranty purposes. I know, Magnuson-Moss and all that, but the OEM Hyundai filter is cheap and works fine, and won't give Hyundai a reason to possibly deny an oil-related warranty claim (God forbid I ever need one).

I was like you but enough people recommended them I bought a 6 pack. Before using an Ultra I did my own research. The second part of Jay's PM to me lays it out regarding warranty.
HK has just been found in violation of Magnussen Moss Warranty act for this very reason,dealers claiming you must use HK products or your warranty is void, that is simply illegal for them to do that unless they supply the parts for free

If enough people do not tolerate Hyundai doing the wrong thing means they will need to change practices or loose potential vehicle sales.

I can verify, based on my experience that the Fram XG 9688 filters work well on both the Theta 2.0T and 2.4L. I don't note any operational difference between these and the OEM. Like others here, I researched filtration / flow rates and saw posts by Jay (from Fram) that convinced me the XG line has superior filtration to the OEM. There's nothing wrong with OEM (I've used a lot of them), but if I can get better filtration / flow for a little more money, it's a no-brainer.

It will be interesting to see if Fram quality changes with the recent acquisition of that brand by TRICO. I've heard prices have increased recently, but not much else. Stay tuned!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

It's been discussed many times on why full synthetic media can trap more and flow more than other media types.

Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
Yeah, I don't think flow vs. filtration is the crux of the argument between these two filters. I've used both in my 2013 Hyundai and there's been no difference in sound or anything else that I can determine.

Yep ... "Filtration over flow" isn't an issue on vehicles with PD oil pumps since the pump hardy ever will go into pressure relief.

I've used half a dozen different filter brands on my Z06 and collected oil pressure, oil temp and engine RPM data and I never ever saw any differences among all the filters because the oil pump would never hit pressure relief at very high RPM when the oil was hot. People who think slightly more flow restrictive oil filters reduces oil flow to the engine just don't understand it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back