Jeep Wrangler 2.0T hard on oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife bought a new Wrangler Rubicon with the 2.0 turbo engine.

Are these engines hard on oil? I am assuming probably. To be honest, I havent even looked at the manual yet to see what oil it takes, or the interval. I would imagine it takes a 5w-30.

What have you guys found with these?
Thanks!

From the owners manual.
Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 2.0L Engine Mopar API SN PLUS Certified SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic
Engine Oil which meets the requirements of FCA Material
Standard MS-13340 is recommended for all operating
temperatures.
From the JL owners I know running the 2.0 turbo have not had any oil consumption issues.
Of the 4 owners I speak with all but 1 is using Pennzoil Platinum and the other is using Valvoline full synthetic.

Anything with a Turbo is going to be harder on oil than a standard engine so it's important you use a high quality synthetic.
I would highly recommend a PAO based synthetic for the best turbo bearing protection over the long term and change it between 5k-7500 miles instead of using the Oil life monitor or run a UOA and see what's possible.

Last edited:
I believe that Platinum 5w30 is the only oil available that currently has the official MS-13340 spec.

I'll be doing an OCI and submitting a sample on the Alfa (very similar engine) soon. From the UOAs I've seen so far, which admittedly are few and far between, I've not seen anything crazy to report.

a little late to question AFTER purchase. the engine is new + first time purchasers are beta testers, good luck!!

Originally Posted by Chris142
News to me. I had not heard of this engine in a Jeep till now.

Brand-new engine for 2019 in Jeep Cherokee and Wrangler. 270HP and 295 lb-ft torque.

Alternative to the 269-HP 3.2 V-6 that gets a bit better mileage.

Originally Posted by benjy
a little late to question AFTER purchase. the engine is new + first time purchasers are beta testers, good luck!!

Gee, thanks for the super helpful post. I know the engine is new to the Wrangler, but it isnt a new design, or even built engine. My truck is a 3.5 Ecoboost......OH NO, I sure hope nothing happens......
It must suck living in fear...

Thanks to all who have posted useful comments! It is appreciated.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Originally Posted by Chris142
News to me. I had not heard of this engine in a Jeep till now.

Brand-new engine for 2019 in Jeep Cherokee and Wrangler. 270HP and 295 lb-ft torque.

Alternative to the 269-HP 3.2 V-6 that gets a bit better mileage.

Yeah IDK about the Cherokee, but the Wrangler has the 3.6 and 2.0t. They are both pretty similar in hp and mpg. I just liked the lower range power of the 2.0t. And I am a turbo fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back