Need a 0/5W30 that is VW 502 and MB 229.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be the contrary voice. Why would you "need" a 0W/5W-30 oil? The only part of that statement that could be a "need" would be the cold weather performance, and then only if you are operating in conditions that are -30F or so. But you are asking for either a 0W or a 5W so that implies you're not looking at extreme cold weather operations.

And as far as the grade, any oil that carries actual 502 00 approval is going to have a minimum HTHS and that will ride the fence of a 30 or 40 grade. This will make either one virtually irrelevant in terms of operating viscosity.

Originally Posted by oliver88
Any suggestions ?

I don't think that you'll find any 0-5/W30 with a 229.5 approval, MB with that approval are 0-5/W40

Originally Posted by Pelican
Any suggestions ?

I don't think that you'll find any 0-5/W30 with a 229.5 approval, MB with that approval are 0-5/W40

Castrol 0w30 has 229.5 cert.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Any suggestions ?

Knock yourself out.

Dominated by 5W-40, but quite a few xW-30 options.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I'll be the contrary voice. Why would you "need" a 0W/5W-30 oil? The only part of that statement that could be a "need" would be the cold weather performance, and then only if you are operating in conditions that are -30F or so. But you are asking for either a 0W or a 5W so that implies you're not looking at extreme cold weather operations.

And as far as the grade, any oil that carries actual 502 00 approval is going to have a minimum HTHS and that will ride the fence of a 30 or 40 grade. This will make either one virtually irrelevant in terms of operating viscosity.

Nice non-answer there.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Nice non-answer there.

But it is correct since the approvals require a minimum HTHS which renders the grade designation irrelevant. It is in essence a non-question.

According to the Afton oil spec handbook, xW-30 weight oil has a kinematic viscosity at 100C between 9.3 -12.5 cSt and xW-40 weight oil has a kinematic viscosity at 100C between 12.5 - 16.3 cSt. VW 502 and MB 229.5 oils have a HTHS viscosity at 150c of 3.5 cP.

So any oil with the same HTHS viscosity should flow between moving parts and create lubricating films in critical areas like the ring/liner interface similarly, but xW-30 weight oils should flow more readily in general than xW-40 oils potentially providing more oil circulation to areas like a turbocharger's CHRA, which in my 2.0TSI requires oil to be constantly flowing to the CHRA's top and draining from the bottom through small tubes.

If you're comparing xW-30 and xW-40 weight oils that meet the same standards without knowing their chemistry what else are you going to compare? If the engine is specc'd for xW-30 and xW-40 both should flow sufficiently, but "just the same"? They by definition flow differently, how do you draw the conclusion that they will flow the same?

P.S. I'm just a layman trying to learn...

Last edited:

I run "Euro Castrol" 0W-30 in both our BMWs and our VW. Where we live in California gets down to the mid-20's on the coldest of winter nights (and that's rarely) and summer daytime highs sometimes exceed 100 degrees. Furthermore, all my cars are kept in a well insulated garage.

Given all that, I prefer to run 0W-30 instead of 5W-30, 0W-40, or 5W-40. IMO the motors are freer revving. Each one of these oils can meet MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, and VW 502.

Scott

Originally Posted by jakeyjohn1
If you're comparing xW-30 and xW-40 weight oils that meet the same standards without knowing their chemistry what else are you going to compare? If the engine is specc'd for xW-30 and xW-40 both should flow sufficiently, but "just the same"? They by definition flow differently, how do you draw the conclusion that they will flow the same?

In terms of oil flow to critical components that were listed, doesn't the oil pump place the same volume into circulation regardless of the viscosity? Especially here since the difference will be small at operating conditions - where the grade designation comes into play.

In terms of oil flow to critical components that were listed, doesn't the oil pump place the same volume into circulation regardless of the viscosity? Especially here since the difference will be small at operating conditions - where the grade designation comes into play.

I believe you are correct about oil flow. But, it takes more horsepower to turn the oil pump. For example, I once tried Redline 5W-40 in our bought new by us 2006 Mercedes C-class (which is thankfully gone, what a total POS that thing was). Normally I used Euro Castro's 0W-30. On the first overnight cold start the motor was UNBELIEVABLY sluggish. It revved like the engine had some kind of flywheel brake on it.

Scott

Total 0w-30. I've run it in M-B's that we used to have. Buy it on Amazon, in 18 liter pack. Not cheap at 135 bucks but it worked well for me. It's 502 and 229.5 approved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back