How Often Should You Change Your Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The articular says; "Engine oil does its job best when it's as pure and clean as possible."

No way, seems the consistence is that cleaner oil makes no difference. I'll just ignore the filter ... who needs 'em? Just run a good air filter.
smile.gif

BOF - where's the "One OCI, One Filter" mantra?

Even back in my Hyundai Accent days I was changing Napa Gold every 3rd oci but changing PP 5w30 every 3-4 k. Had a 3,49 capacity so I figured like a air filter that slightly dirty filtered better.Was using a SP1340 Injen intake with nano filter and a drycharger so i wasnt too worried. Glad I was using non ethanol gas and pea fuel cleaners though.

Originally Posted by Marco620
...so I figured like a air filter that slightly dirty filtered better.

Oil filters don't necessarily get better as they load up. They don't really act like air filters do in that department.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Welcome back BOF!

Thank You.
I received that article in an email. I just read the 1st couple of paragraphs. I didn't realize it was also an infomercial for NAPA.
But, after reading it all the way thru, I see there are other automotive articles that NAPA discusses.

It does seem like they want to sell you more, citing that it's "cheap insurance".

They do have a point about it heing simpler to change out the filter with each oil change....and that was true until the well-built, synthetic media filters came out. Filters like Fram Ultra, M1, Wix XP and Amsoil (to name a few) are all rated to go a certain distance and do not need to be changed each time the oil is.

Originally Posted by JLTD
It does seem like they want to sell you more, citing that it's "cheap insurance".

They do have a point about it heing simpler to change out the filter with each oil change....and that was true until the well-built, synthetic media filters came out. Filters like Fram Ultra, M1, Wix XP and Amsoil (to name a few) are all rated to go a certain distance and do not need to be changed each time the oil is.

JLTD, do you use your oil filters for multiple OCI's?
I used to think the FU was the BEST oil filter on the market. I mean, I still think it's a well built oil filter. I just don't like the fact that it's a dome end bypass filter. That's not going to stop me from using one. But, I will use an oil filter with a base end bypass before a dome end bypass. And, for ONE OCI ONLY!
wink.gif

Honda was recommending 10k miles normal/5k miles severe OCIs with a filter changed every other OCI. That with cellulose media filtration.

And I don't like changing the filter because it's huge pain to get it on ramps - not to mention I feel kind of insecure using them. I can change the oil without the filter right on the ground. Since Honda says it's fine I'm not going to bother. I am going 5k severe because it's mostly getting groceries, but I have the feeling that 7500 would probably be a good compromise. Still - I like working on it as long as I don't need to be able to get my body under it.

The linked Napa info is just drivel. Not one shred of data other than "cheap insurance" advice, suitable for the masses.

There are, as has been discussed before many times, some OEMs that actually recommend the FCI at 2x the OCI. My daughter's 2000 Galant was one of them. 7.5k miles for normal oil changes; 15k miles for normal filter changes. Engine finally failed at 210k miles with a cracked head; not the fault of the oil or filter. I took the head off a few times in a vain attempt to diagnose and repair, but ultimately it was doomed. Under the valve cover was super clean. Cylinder walls were still faintly cross-hatched. All this on dino oil "normal" changes.

Some Honda MC engines also have the FCI at 2x the OCI.

The reality is that the Napa linked info is just mindless drivel for the mindless masses. There's no tangible data discussed. It's just hype to sell oil and filters.

As has been exemplified here many times with many experiments over the years, OFCIs can easily be run at 2x or 3x the OEM recommended limits in many applications, and yet wear rates and sludge concerns remain low.

Last edited:
Napa just wants to sell....
Making them no different than most other companies that sell a product. Case in point along a similar line, Fram Air Filter box recommendation for replacement is every 12k miles. Now I've it relayed to me on good authority that recommendation is mostly about selling filters, not about an actual need to replace the AF at every 12k miles. Which also holds true ime.

Ignoring the linked article, if one scrolls down to the Napa Platinum "Learn More" box and clicks on it, imo the recommendations for filter change interval looks pretty good. One could quibble/nitpick some, eg., the jobber NPS, perhaps extend to ~5k mile/ 6 months. Otherwise, those recommendations seem on point imo and ime.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
The linked Napa info is just drivel. Not one shred of data other than "cheap insurance" advice, suitable for the masses.

Again, had I read the link all the way thru I would have seen it was basically a NAPA infomercial, for the most part.
But, I (and a lot of others in the oil filter world) am one of those in "the masses" that will only use an oil filter once. Data or no data, I agree with it being cheap insurance.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

No way, seems the consistence is that cleaner oil makes no difference. I'll just ignore the filter ... who needs 'em? Just run a good air filter.
smile.gif

But everyone here ignores the filter package that says the filter is good for 20,000 miles. Personally all for clean oil but start with change oil often and a high efficiency air filter and change oil filter with the oil change.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/681/oil-filter

Read down to the end of this article.

Last edited:
On a new engine I'll change the filter with the oil every time for the first few changes because I want to get as much oil and swarf out of the engine each time. Then I'll change the filter every 2nd change. Especially on the PentaStar where the filter housing is known to break and there is several revisions beefing it up. The less I open/close the housing the longer it's going to last.

I did it with cellulose filters in the past and had 0 issues. My dad is using cellulose filter cartridges in his PentaStar and changing every second time using conventional oil and 0 issues. Just for some anecdotal data.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
On a new engine I'll change the filter with the oil every time for the first few changes because I want to get as much oil and swarf out of the engine each time. Then I'll change the filter every 2nd change. Especially on the PentaStar where the filter housing is known to break and there is several revisions beefing it up. The less I open/close the housing the longer it's going to last.

I did it with cellulose filters in the past and had 0 issues. My dad is using cellulose filter cartridges in his PentaStar and changing every second time using conventional oil and 0 issues. Just for some anecdotal data.

I'm changing out the filter on my Corvette with every OCI because of the warranty but once the warranty is up I will have no problem running 2 OCIs with an Ultra. I run 2 OCIs on every Ultra filter in my Civic and I'm simply doing 30,000 km (20k miles) intervals in my wife's BMW (it's a cartridge so I do the filter change separately from oil change time, so it might be on there for up to 2 1/2 OCIs)

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

JLTD, do you use your oil filters for multiple OCI's?
I used to think the FU was the BEST oil filter on the market. I mean, I still think it's a well built oil filter. I just don't like the fact that it's a dome end bypass filter. That's not going to stop me from using one. But, I will use an oil filter with a base end bypass before a dome end bypass. And, for ONE OCI ONLY!
wink.gif

I have used filters more than one OCI, but not often since it messes up my OCI distance calculations.

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm changing out the filter on my Corvette with every OCI because of the warranty but once the warranty is up I will have no problem running 2 OCIs with an Ultra. I run 2 OCIs on every Ultra filter in my Civic and I'm simply doing
30,000 km (20k miles) intervals in my wife's BMW (it's a cartridge so I do the filter change separately from oil change time, so it might be on there for up to 2 1/2 OCIs)

Yeah I'm using non API licensed and non MS-6395 oil in the Van anyway, but I hear you for warranty. If I owned a Vette under warranty I'd change it every time as well.
thumbsup2.gif

Part of the reason I don't worry is because our family has warrantied engines/transmissions through Chrysler and they never asked for receipts because the internals looked maintained.
I also can fix most things myself so even if they wanted to deny me and I couldn't win the battle it's nothing for me to do whatever is required to get it back on the road having done complete engines and transmissions with my dad.

Last edited:
The iOLM on our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer always trends to 10,000 mile oil changes using a Ford spec oil which could be a synthetic blend or a conventional oil and Motorcraft FL910S oil filters. I've changed the oil twice in the first 5,200 miles, using new Motorcraft FL910S filters each time. After that I changed the oil filter with each oil change of Mobil 1 5W-30 in the 6,200 to 7,000 mile OCI's. Recently I started using Mobil 1 oil filters due to the rebates I was getting with the Mobil 1 oil. These I'm using for 2 oil changes, ranging anywhere from 12,500 miles to 15,000 miles for the oil filter. We've owned the Explorer since new and probably "over changed" the oil so I have no issue using a Mobil 1 oil filter for up to 20,000 miles.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back