Recent Topics
My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after
by TDOHGL01 - 01/17/20 09:08 AM
Oil that won't clog the catalytic converter?
by Underdawg - 01/17/20 08:46 AM
Rear Struts Recommendations
by willbur - 01/17/20 07:46 AM
Critical Windows 10 Update
by doitmyself - 01/17/20 07:38 AM
Dry Gas in exteme cold weather
by FA_WRX - 01/17/20 06:57 AM
ATF VS ATL
by jrommelt - 01/16/20 11:24 PM
inline oiler for water separator on compressor
by motor_oil_madman - 01/16/20 10:55 PM
5w30 Throw Off VVT [ 5w20 Vehicle ] ?
by Fallguy - 01/16/20 10:54 PM
Ravenol MTF-2
by E365 - 01/16/20 10:36 PM
Road Rage, Then vs Now
by gathermewool - 01/16/20 09:39 PM
Interesting Taillight Out Code
by Gebo - 01/16/20 09:39 PM
Well its here again
by JohnnyJohnson - 01/16/20 06:56 PM
My cheap old stock oil score!
by CleverUserName - 01/16/20 06:52 PM
Trans runs better in severe cold...
by 2009Caraman - 01/16/20 06:41 PM
LSx rocker bolt sealant
by P10crew - 01/16/20 06:00 PM
Nissan Titan any good?
by dfarr67 - 01/16/20 05:24 PM
Cockford-Ollie
by 1978elcamino - 01/16/20 05:23 PM
ATI balancer keyway sealing
by P10crew - 01/16/20 04:53 PM
Silkolene (FUCHS) 10w-60 On Amazon
by BBDartCA - 01/16/20 04:19 PM
To use or not to use
by JHogan - 01/16/20 04:13 PM
Newest Members
MrGoodwrench, Schwifty, Karoofrans, Marksvc1, Anthony_Butcher
70452 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
104 registered members (2013ecof150, Anthony, 2011335d, AndyB, AlaskaMike, alchargo, 7 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics300,222
Posts5,171,211
Members70,452
Most Online3,728
Jan 11th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 6 7
Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: KrisZ] #5070204 04/10/19 08:22 AM
PimTac Offline
There are different types of snow too, just to add to the confusion. Regions that are fairly flat versus hilly ones, etc. The conditions in Colorado or Kansas may be a bit different versus those in Washington or the NE.

I’ve had no problems driving on snow. Whether it’s fresh or packed I can get around. The problem are the Yahoos who drive at normal speeds and end up playing bumper pool with everyone else.

If you live in a region that has snow for weeks or months then a winter tire makes sense. Another reason is if you go skiing or are traveling through the mountains. For some of us, snow is a one week or even a one day event. This past winter we had snow for around three weeks. Purchasing winter tires for that bit of time is cost prohibitive. If you have the money then by all means that is your prerogative. I have found that for over 40 years of driving I have had no issues with driving on good all season tires.

Again it’s a three legged stool. A VW awd is no guarantee that you will make it okay. It’s the skill of the driver plus the condition of the tires that makes the trip safer. If conditions are such that I drive only 20mph then that is my prerogative as well. If you want to go 50 then by all means go around. It’s your neck.

2017 Mazda CX5
Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w20
Roki OEM filter.
Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: PimTac] #5070226 04/10/19 08:51 AM
Y
y_p_w Offline
Y
Originally Posted by PimTac
If you live in a region that has snow for weeks or months then a winter tire makes sense. Another reason is if you go skiing or are traveling through the mountains. For some of us, snow is a one week or even a one day event. This past winter we had snow for around three weeks. Purchasing winter tires for that bit of time is cost prohibitive. If you have the money then by all means that is your prerogative. I have found that for over 40 years of driving I have had no issues with driving on good all season tires.

Depends. In a previous post I talked about seeing a car with Oregon plates that had studded winter tires and had traveled to Northern California. I saw a car with a ski rack and Dunlop performance winters. I'm guessing those probably stayed on for the entirety of the winter ski season.

And the the oddest was when I took my kid sledding around the Lake Tahoe area - somewhere in Nevada. There was a BMW 328xi with Firestone Winterforce tires. They weren't studded, but they really stood out. I talked the the driver about them, that they weren't exactly a performance tire, that they're inexpensive, and loud. He said yes, but if one really needed to drive in snow/ice they did the job pretty well. The parking lot had a bit of snow that my WRX ( with Pilot Sport A/S 3) handled well enough at low speeds, but the main roads were all bone dry save the occasional patch of snow (like no more than 3 feet across).

Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: y_p_w] #5070240 04/10/19 09:13 AM
PimTac Offline
Originally Posted by y_p_w

Depends. In a previous post I talked about seeing a car with Oregon plates that had studded winter tires and had traveled to Northern California. I saw a car with a ski rack and Dunlop performance winters. I'm guessing those probably stayed on for the entirety of the winter ski season.

And the the oddest was when I took my kid sledding around the Lake Tahoe area - somewhere in Nevada. There was a BMW 328xi with Firestone Winterforce tires. They weren't studded, but they really stood out. I talked the the driver about them, that they weren't exactly a performance tire, that they're inexpensive, and loud. He said yes, but if one really needed to drive in snow/ice they did the job pretty well. The parking lot had a bit of snow that my WRX ( with Pilot Sport A/S 3) handled well enough at low speeds, but the main roads were all bone dry save the occasional patch of snow (like no more than 3 feet across).

Sounds like the driver felt it was better to be safe than sorry. Weather is unpredictable. Even up here. I went to work once in rainy weather and when I got off my 8 hour shift we had over a foot of snow on the ground. Snow was not in the forecast.

2017 Mazda CX5
Roki OEM filter.
Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: PimTac] #5070252 04/10/19 09:25 AM
B
Brigadier Offline
B
There are different types of snow too, just to add to the confusion. Regions that are fairly flat versus hilly ones, etc. The conditions in Colorado or Kansas may be a bit different versus those in Washington or the NE.

I’ve had no problems driving on snow. Whether it’s fresh or packed I can get around. The problem are the Yahoos who drive at normal speeds and end up playing bumper pool with everyone else.

Again it’s a three legged stool. A VW awd is no guarantee that you will make it okay. It’s the skill of the driver plus the condition of the tires that makes the trip safer. If conditions are such that I drive only 20mph then that is my prerogative as well. If you want to go 50 then by all means go around. It’s your neck.

^^^THIS. Well said.

I grew up in upstate NY. We NEVER had snow tires, and we were NEVER stuck or stranded at home. We left in 1988. Traction control wasn't even invented yet. All we had were hundreds of pounds of rocks in the bed of the 2WD pickups, and all seasons on the FWD VWs, and a working brain between the ears.

Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: Brigadier] #5070261 04/10/19 09:32 AM
PimTac Offline
Originally Posted by Brigadier

^^^THIS. Well said.

I grew up in upstate NY. We NEVER had snow tires, and we were NEVER stuck or stranded at home. We left in 1988. Traction control wasn't even invented yet. All we had were hundreds of pounds of rocks in the bed of the 2WD pickups, and all seasons on the FWD VWs, and a working brain between the ears.

Exactly. Even when I had my 4wd pickups, I carried a couple of bags of sand in the back. They helped with the weight distribution. I never used the sand for myself but instead used it to help others get going.

2017 Mazda CX5
Roki OEM filter.
Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: PimTac] #5070279 04/10/19 09:50 AM
B
Brigadier Offline
B
Originally Posted by Brigadier

^^^THIS. Well said.

Exactly. Even when I had my 4wd pickups, I carried a couple of bags of sand in the back. They helped with the weight distribution. I never used the sand for myself but instead used it to help others get going.

When I had my 4X4 Colorado, every late October, four 60 lb bags of concrete mix were put in the bed over the rear axle. As such, when I put the All-Weather GY DuraTrac AT tires on it, I could pretty much go anywhere in 2WD only. And it pretty much stopped a dime, too.

Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: Ws6] #5070895 04/10/19 07:27 PM
E
edyvw Offline
E
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by bobdoo
There's been a lot of stupidity in this thread, lately.

In deep, sticky, packy snow, AWD with crap tires will leave you with 4 tires spinning in the snow-tire-chock that gets formed. You have to have deep, wide tread to grip in that, just like in gumbo mud.

On cold pavement (40f and under), snow tire rubber will stop faster and corner harder than 'all-seasons'. (If you are buying 'summer' tires for extra grip, you're a fool not to buy 'winter' tires, when you need the grip even worse).

You won't stop fast enough in snow, with all-season tires. AWD/4WD won't make any difference. Snow tires will help stop you before you run over someone else's child. Or if you don't give a dmn about other people's kids, it'll help prevent that deer from crashing through your windshield, and decapitating you.

Dude...noones kids are put playing on the roads I drive in a snow storm. No tire will stop you fast enough to miss a deer that lunges in front of you. Also, my Nokian wrg3s in 10 degree weather could not keep up with any of the all seasons I've used on the same vehicle in the corners. Nor were they any good in the rain. In snow and on ice, I couldn't tell a difference, what little snow I saw with them. All seasons are fine unless you go studded all-out snows, then Id argue there is a real difference.

You felt need to confirm his post?

11' BMW 328i xDrive 6MT (BMW TPT 5W30+OE filter)
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W30+OE filter)
15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OEM filter).
Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: littlehulkster] #5073075 04/12/19 07:50 PM
G
Garak Offline
G
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
It can be done, I'm sure, but the potential for spinning out or fishtailing is always going to be a lot higher. Your solution seems pretty good, but up here in the mountains a RWD truck just wouldn't cut it, even with snow tires. In the flatlands, you can manage.

In the mountains, I'd certainly consider something different. Here, not so much. wink 4x4 is nice, ground clearance is nice. Most times, if I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose the ground clearance first. Off topic, but years back, that LPG powered LTD I had, you just couldn't get it stuck. Between the way the car was balanced and the lack of power, you could just modulate the throttle perfectly and work your way through darned near everything.

Plain, simple Garak.

2008 Infiniti G37 - Shell ROTELLA T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30, Wix 57356
1984 F-150 4.9L - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515
Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: KrisZ] #5075594 04/15/19 09:43 AM
A
Auae85 Online Content
Online Content
A
Living in central Alabama, we don't see snow very often. However, we get plenty of rain. I would like to see a CR report or such, comparing various AWD systems on wet roads, to include highway driving, city traffic, hils, curves, etc. We currently have a 2013 CR-V AWD, and have been pleased with it, aside from a VTC actuator replacement. It drives great in rainy weather and other slippery conditions.

BTW, a few years ago, we had a GMC Safari AWD van. I used to have fun at stoplights, teasing young guys in sports cars, when the pavement was wet. The light would turn green, and away I would go, while they were slipping and spinning. The looks I got were funny; a VAN beat them off the line!

Re: Is CR-V AWD really that bad? [Re: Auae85] #5075609 04/15/19 10:01 AM
Y
y_p_w Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Auae85
Living in central Alabama, we don't see snow very often. However, we get plenty of rain. I would like to see a CR report or such, comparing various AWD systems on wet roads, to include highway driving, city traffic, hils, curves, etc. We currently have a 2013 CR-V AWD, and have been pleased with it, aside from a VTC actuator replacement. It drives great in rainy weather and other slippery conditions.

BTW, a few years ago, we had a GMC Safari AWD van. I used to have fun at stoplights, teasing young guys in sports cars, when the pavement was wet. The light would turn green, and away I would go, while they were slipping and spinning. The looks I got were funny; a VAN beat them off the line!

For the most part I don't believe that wet weather is as bad for traction as snow or mud, unless there's something seriously wrong about the pavement conditions. In that case good tires matter more than anything else.

I do remember having a front-wheel drive car where I had a tendency to slip in wet conditions over a painted stop or crosswalk stripe. I'd hit that strip and my tires would start spinning until I got enough traction. Not a problem with an AWD car since the rear wheels will push me past that stripe.

Page 7 of 7 1 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™