Rotella T6 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil is so new, even Blackstone Labs doesn't think it exists
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Here is the VOA for 5w40 CJ-4/SM in on the left, while the CK-4 is on the right...i kinda expected the 15w40 to be much more potent.

[Linked Image]

Thank you for the VOA. I expect this oil to be more shear stable than the 5W-40 version, which is a particularly good benefit in shared sump motorcycles.

Thanks for posting this. Weak add pack, surprisingly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the VOAs. Great job, really appreciate the work you put into this. Without question, to me anyway. The T6 15/40 looks great!
Considering it for my boat.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this.

RT6 15W-40 is basically the exact same thing as RT6 5W-40, it will just be a bit thicker in the cold, and more shear-resistant.

For a summertime hot-rod or bike, it would be just about perfect.

I love how B-S didn't even know what it was! LOL!

Thank you for the VOA. I'm inclined to agree on the add pack, weak-sauce. Is it just me or does the T5 15w40 look stronger?

T5

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Metric_Twins
Is it just me or does the T5 15w40 look stronger?

15w40..........T5 T6
Moly............. 68 0
Boron...........138 168
Calcium......1767 1955
Phosphorus..1177 961
Zinc..............1257 1082
Magnesium...413 80
[email protected] 14.84
FlashPoint.....450 445

T5 Does yes except for the Moly

Last edited:
You can not tell which is a better oil by looking at the limited results of a VOA.
Either way 15/40 rules over a 5/40 if you dont need extreme cold weather performance.
I am partial to conventional and semi synthetics but nothing against full synthetic either, they all serve a purpose and I am for sure interested in the T6 for my boat.
I use Chevron conventional in my car/truck.

Last edited:
Degreaser thanks for the side by side makes life easier. Why is moly the weak point for the T5?

Alarmguy I agree w/ you & wasn't necessarily stating one being more superior than the other, It just seems the add pack in the T6 seems not as strong as in the T5, kinda of shocked me how "meh" it was IMO, I use T5 in all my diesels & generators. For my motorcycles i use Mystik 15w50, That being said I just did my last oil change in my Cummins 5.0L (Nissan Titan XD) w/ the T6 15w-40. As you can see I agree with you on 15w40's being superior.

MetricTwins
I understand what your saying, Im just not sure in this day and age how much the "add pack" results on a VOA matter anymore.

Dont get me wrong,
I have done my own VOA on Mystik when I started using it to make myself feel better.
But oil quality now a days is more complicated then a few anti wear agents in a VOA. Lets not forget about film strength either.

Also you'll note I am not a fan of full synthetics if maintaining a regular oil change interval. I prefer conventional or blend. So if I were you and using T5 then I too would feel better about continuing to do so.

With all the above said, I have nothing at all against full synthetics, just my reasons above why I dont use or prefer them. I dont buy into the marketing of ANY company unless given the full facts of everything, You will notice they are no full facts about oil, only marketing.
The one and only fact about any oil in these forums is they are ALL equal in protection, no matter what the cost if they display the same API symbol.
So Super Tech Synthetic is equal to Mobile 1 ... ect ect

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Degreaser
Originally Posted by Metric_Twins
Is it just me or does the T5 15w40 look stronger?

15w40..........T5 T6
Moly............. 68 0
Boron...........138 168
Calcium......1767 1955
Phosphorus..1177 961
Zinc..............1257 1082
Magnesium...413 80
[email protected] 14.84
FlashPoint.....450 445

T5 Does yes except for the Moly

T5 15w40 on a UOA after 3,700 miles in my ZRX1200 showed 1031 Z and 885 P. WAY off the numbers listed above. Those should not be sacrificial elements and go down, so I assume the oil started there. It gave a good account of itself and stayed in grade, just disappointed the ad-pack numbers are varying on different analysis'. If the numbers vary that much, then I wonder why they are important at all if that kind of spread is the norm.

So is this stuff going to be the holy grail for bikes and other shared sump vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back