Filter efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I emailed WIX and asked about the filter efficiency for a NAPA Gold and Platnium filter for my PSD.

Their reply was 5 micron for the Gold and the specs for the Platnium are proprietary.

Originally Posted by Donald
So I emailed WIX and asked about the filter efficiency for a NAPA Gold and Platnium filter for my PSD.

Their reply was 5 micron for the Gold and the specs for the Platnium are proprietary.

Yes but they didn't say it was 99% at 5 microns or they lied.

the specs for the Platnium are proprietary.

crackmeup2.gif

That's weird that they wouldn't give you the specs on the XP, I emailed them just a week ago and within 20 minutes they emailed back with this response:

WIX XP Oil Filters provide robust engine protection when using synthetic motor oil for harsh driving conditions such as towing, extreme idle time, lower gear mountainous climbs, long periods at highway speeds. WIX XP filters are recommended for OEM oil and filter change intervals, typically 3,750 to 10,000 miles. This filter traps up to 100% more dirt and contaminants than WIX to resist premature plugging due to oil breakdown. Fully synthetic media withstands the harsh oil temperatures and conditions. A specifically formulated HNBR gasket provides an excellent seal during extreme cold engine starts and resist hardening under elevated oil temperatures. When applicable, WIX XP silicone anti drain-back valve protects against dry starts past the traditional filter change interval. Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 32 grams dirt (51515XP), 99% efficient at 35 microns (Based on 51515XP 51356XP, 57060XP)

Originally Posted by Dyusik

crackmeup2.gif

These days everything they don't want to tell you is Proprietary. It should be mandatory to have the efficiency listed on the box at 20 Microns.

I had to look at Detroit's oil filter requirements; for the DD series specifically.

Using the 4548-12 method, they require 50% @19 microns

Minimum capacity of 126 grams while still flowing 125 Liters/minute
(again using the 4548-12 method)

I'm still not up to speed on filtration efficiency to know where that stands, but I'm guessing it's nothing special. I guess they're aiming for reasonable efficiency but also allowing good flow throughout a very long interval. (?)

I'll preface this by saying Wix/Napa Gold and XP/ Napa Platinum efficiency
18.gif
. Currently answers can be found on this very page, not to mention all the other previous times discussed this subforum. In summary, want to know Napa Gold/(Wix) efficiency, just check the Wix beta for each application. Not sure how to convert Napa Gold part number to Wix? Add 5 the NG number.

Truly interested in XP/Platinum efficiency, read this thread currently on this page. Pointless to repeat the information again.

As for the Wix "proprietary" statement about Napa Gold or Platinum, 'technically' both of those filters are "made for" Napa by WIx, so that statement not so out of line. Had the question been about either Wix filter, then that answer would be shaky. And, has also been discussed numerous times, Wix CS not the best. In short, if any of that bothers you or you don't trust that info...use something else. There's lots of other brands out there.

Originally Posted by Dyusik

crackmeup2.gif

Exactly ... one guess why. Maybe they were designed for use only in Area 51.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by dustyroads
I had to look at Detroit's oil filter requirements; for the DD series specifically.

Using the 4548-12 method, they require 50% @19 microns

Minimum capacity of 126 grams while still flowing 125 Liters/minute
(again using the 4548-12 method)

I'm still not up to speed on filtration efficiency to know where that stands, but I'm guessing it's nothing special. I guess they're aiming for reasonable efficiency but also allowing good flow throughout a very long interval. (?)

Yeah, 50% @ 19u is near the bottom of the efficiency scale. It's got good flow and high holding capacity going for it though.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Yes but they didn't say it was 99% at 5 microns or they lied.

They seemed grumpy even giving me that one spec for the NAPA Gold.

Originally Posted by littleant
Oil filter spec is proprietary. Is it so good WIX does not want it copied. Or so bad they do not want anyone to know.
confused2.gif

If you were selling oil filters that had very good ISO 4548-12 efficiency numbers would you not tell anyone about it?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
lol.gif

They could tell you.... but then they'd have to kill you. It's a one-time-only access
lol.gif

They already leaked the secret data a few years ago before they decided it was "propitiatory".
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
lol.gif

They could tell you.... but then they'd have to kill you. It's a one-time-only access
lol.gif

They already leaked the secret data a few years ago before they decided it was "propitiatory".
grin2.gif

That's an odd word to use in this context.

LOL ... auto spell sucks. Guess they could be trying to "regain the favor" by keeping the efficiency unknown and focusing on other things.

Originally Posted by Patman
That's weird that they wouldn't give you the specs on the XP, I emailed them just a week ago and within 20 minutes they emailed back with this response:
WIX XP Oil Filters provide robust engine protection when using synthetic motor oil for harsh driving conditions such as towing, extreme idle time, lower gear mountainous climbs, long periods at highway speeds. WIX XP filters are recommended for OEM oil and filter change intervals, typically 3,750 to 10,000 miles. This filter traps up to 100% more dirt and contaminants than WIX to resist premature plugging due to oil breakdown. Fully synthetic media withstands the harsh oil temperatures and conditions. A specifically formulated HNBR gasket provides an excellent seal during extreme cold engine starts and resist hardening under elevated oil temperatures. When applicable, WIX XP silicone anti drain-back valve protects against dry starts past the traditional filter change interval. Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 32 grams dirt (51515XP), 99% efficient at 35 microns (Based on 51515XP 51356XP, 57060XP)
Actually not that weird. Had the OP em'd Wix and like you asked about the equivalent to Platinum, Wix XP filter application, he likely would/could have gotten the same answer you got. Which btw includes 'exactly' the same published efficiency as what O'Reilly AP has used their website since they started selling the XP. Quite awhile now.

However as noted my previous post here, OP asked about a filter Wix makes for another company, Napa. That is analogous to emailing Champ Labs and asking about M1 oil filter efficiency. Or eming Champ Labs and asking about ACDelco filter efficiency. Or similar to asking Fram what the efficiency is of the Honda and Subaru filters they make for those brands. It's up to the label brand/company to release that information if they choose, not the manufacturer. With that mind, somewhat surprised they gave any information on Napa at all. However, considering answer about the NG is goobledegook and the Platinum answer provides no info, they didn't say anything of value. And having read other responses out places like the Puro PRO and other Wix replies, I wouldn't bother emailing them. And certainly not about a brand they make for another company. Fwiw, your em response one of the better ones I've read.

The only difference here is, those that frequent this subforum know standard Wix=Napa Gold and XP=Platinum and as also noted efficiency of both covered many times this subforum and thus readily available. So for most an em about the filters, not to mention a 'made for' one, unnecessary and/or redundant. That said, having read a recent thread starter here about XP/Plat filters coming prefilled with full synthetic oil, unsurprising I suppose.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

However as noted my previous post here, OP asked about a filter Wix makes for another company, Napa. That is analogous to emailing Champ Labs and asking about M1 oil filter efficiency.

Actually if you email Mobil 1 and ask them about the oil filter efficiency, the email response that you get will come from Champ Labs, as Mobil 1 will simply forward that email along for Champ to answer (at least that has happened to me in the past). So by simply emailing Champ Labs directly and asking them about any filter they produce will usually give you the answer you are looking for. So considering the fact that Wix makes the Platinum lineup, and they know it's identical to their XP, I'm surprised they wouldn't just give out this info the same way they give out their info for XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back