Nissan Rogue oil filters (tearing issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may remember my post a while back regarding my ACDelco PF1237 and tears in the media. I had run two of these filters and both had tears in 4-5 months and 4-5k miles.

I also opened two Fram Toughguards (TG6607) after 4-5 months and 4-5k intervals, and while they did not have tears, they did have some widening of the pleats and what I would consider indicators of media stress. I found this to be acceptable and was happy with the results.

And again this weekend, I opened a Nissan OEM filter (15208-65F0E) and it (just like the AC Delco) had tears in the media. It also appeared that some of the media was beginning to disconnect from the rest of the filter.

What should I conclude from this? Is this a testament to Fram, or is ACDelco and Nissan OEM insufficient for my needs?

I plan on using a Fram Ultra (XG6607) for two intervals and checking again.

Last edited:
Fram Ultra is a lot more durable and should hold up better…I would stay away from anything that had previously torn.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Originally Posted by PimTac
Just stick with the Trico filters.

Huh?

It's a joke about Trico purchasing Fram.

Use the taller XG7317, if it fits
smile.gif

Huh?

lol.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero

Huh?

lol.gif

At least it's not Beatrice. Remember when that company was buying everyone else?

Originally Posted by TheOilWizard
Some of you may remember my post a while back regarding my ACDelco PF1237 and tears in the media. I had run two of these filters and both had tears in 4-5 months and 4-5k miles.

And again this weekend, I opened a Nissan OEM filter (15208-65F0E) and it (just like the AC Delco) had tears in the media. It also appeared that some of the media was beginning to disconnect from the rest of the filter.

What should I conclude from this?

I'm wondering if the AC Delco and Nissan OEM filters are now using a higher bypass valve setting. Seems more manufacturers are specifying higher bypass valve settings, which means the media better be able to take a higher delta-p before the bypass valve opens up. If media is weak, all it takes is a few short high delta-p spikes to make it tear.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Use the taller XG7317, if it fits
smile.gif

Fram's 7317's fit fine on the Rogue that I take care of.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but the recent price increase of the FU filters, is this due to TRICO purchasing FRAM?

I've dissected two Nissan filters, one the FF, the other a dealer installed Gonher oem filter. Neither had tear issues, media uniformity looked good on both. The latter did/does have an issue with an adbv defect that I noted here. Just haven't gotten around to posting it yet but hope to be able to fairly soon. And both filters off a 2017 Rogue 2.5L.

OT The stick to "Trico filters" line, kinda comical. As for Fram filter price increase, I think that started before the Trico acquisition. There were threads about FU price increases dating to the first of the year.

I have cut open several of the Nissan Gonher made filters and all looked pretty good and no media tearing.
It is also pretty rear to hear of AD Delco/Champ labs filters tearing.
Something seems odd here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back