What does retirement mean to you?

Does it mean never working again?
Not having to work to live?
Travel and leisure activities?

I "retired" from my full time job at 55. However I still work 3 part time jobs now as I am too young to not work and am still physically able to. However I will probably take SS at 62 and stop working.

I think true retirement to me is not working at all.

For me retirement means I'll be done working, and I'll be spending my time with my family, traveling, and enjoying my hobbies. I started working when I was 14 and I will retire at 62. I think 48 years of working is enough...

Doing what I want not this 7-3 - 8hr job, even though I have relatively easy job. I'd love to be on the road working at national parks or a campground part-time. But with two kids and everything that entails that won't happen for another 11 years. So at 50, her 53, that's what we're planning on doing.

I retire at 52, June will be 4 years that went fast. For me retirement means that I have the freedom to do what I want any day or time.

I have plenty of hobbies that keep me busy if I like to do or not. I also have the time to learn new things, keeping my brain busy is half the fun.

I am reading a few books on retirement like "Retire with a Purpose". Its a new phase of your journey in life. Loss of identity is an issue for many. They were Senior Vice President of Product Development at Ford Motors and now they are just another retired guy collecting a pension and Social Security. Need to understand the job did not make you who you are, you did.

I think the important thing is to plan your retirement. From financial to medical to what you plan to do all needs some planning.

My wife is an attorney and can give back by helping people who cannot afford an attorney.

My skills since 1976 are all related to large mainframe computer installations. Not sure how that translates to being able to give back in my community.

Started cutting back on my work hours a couple of years ago. Will eventually move to a lower cost state and either continue my part time work or find some easier (and lower paying) work to keep me occupied until I'm 70 when I will start collecting. At that point I will probably stop working and concentrate on my hobbies.

For me (retired 5 years now) it means waking up and having absolutely no commitment that I must do that day. Unfortunately, rarely works out that way, doc appointments, grandchildren sick and child care, car in shop etc. Not enough time in a day it seems.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Death.

Plan on working till u die? By choice or necessity?

WPBaD.jpg

Originally Posted by Spector
For me (retired 5 years now) it means waking up and having absolutely no commitment that I must do that day. Unfortunately, rarely works out that way, doc appointments, grandchildren sick and child care, car in shop etc. Not enough time in a day it seems.

Weird how that works. Also seems time goes faster too.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Death.

Plan on working till u die? By choice or necessity?

Plan on it yes, probably by necessity. I say that because I'm due for at least 1 or maybe 2 recessions between now and 70. Who knows? I've seen people who retired in their 50's that ended up cutting coupons to get by because they're in their 80's and 40 yrs of not working took a toll on their retirement fund(s). I have family who worked up until 80 because they wanted to get out of the house and decided that if they wanted to "stay busy" they might as well make money because they believed "if you're not making money your spending money."

Reactions: JC1
Just turned 50 , I am not officaly retired but I quit my job 3 years ago and haven't stopped working yet . I really don't want to go into why I was able to money wise , but Facebook was a big factor . If my wife did not have excellent health insurance I wouldn't have been able to call it quits . My wife has 4 years left before she retires then the real work will start

Not really sure. I look forward to financial freedom, and reaching a point where I can quit working "because I have to" but I kinda hope to be able to work until the bitter end, if nothing else to get me out of the house and doing stuff. If I can find non-profit stuff to do that gives me meaning, and I have financial needs squared away, great. Otherwise I could see myself working at Walmart just for something to do.

Short of winning the lotto I really don't have to worry about that for another 25 years--if it comes sooner than that, then it's because of health problems. Trying to sock away now so that if the worst happens (forced retirement) then hopefully I'll get by.

My days are always full and I wonder how I ever had time to work. I have several hobbies and one being my old VW's and other is old radio restoring. Best one though is travel and camping with my wife and Granddaughter. everyday ends up being full. Today I have to finish mowing the front yard at one home and getting the propane tank filled on the camper and going to the grocery store to fill up the camper refrigerator and then heading to the campground and setting up the camper. Retirement is just really working for a new boss.

No stress!
I still love having a plan for the day. And I still love having a place to go especially in the winter.
I love puttering around the house and doing all of those little jobs(30-40 min) that we often pass up so that we can get the most important things done while still having to do them once we got home from work.
I do things differently now although it took me some 8 months to realize that I didn't have to RUSH.

I semi-retired at 51 and fully retired at 57. I knocked around for about 18 months and went into the car business. After another 18 months I took another part time legal position. Finally, I got back into politics and now will fully retire-again-in 2024.
Some people never learn...

Yes, for many they will be forced to retire earlier than they planned due to health issues. And for many health cost issues will delay retirement or break them in retirement. Long term care is the big retirement breaker I think.

Back