What's going on with gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by dave1251

Don't talk sense. With that guy and his views oil companies should sell gasoline at a loss and go out of business. If gas was free he would complain fuel wasn't delivered to him.

I do think a lot of gas stations could easily afford to lower their prices on fuel and still make a big profit, especially when they are selling $10 to $15 car washes all day long (that cost them like a dollar each) and selling $2 chocolate bars.

But the station is breaking even on gas. Business won't stay in business long breaking even. Profit off of goods has to be quite a bit to cover overhead, payroll, insurance, and others.

Originally Posted by javacontour
But the tax man has to add federal, state and local taxes to that. And now you get pretty close to what it costs.

The tax man makes the most on each gallon of fuel sold. But somehow the evil villains are those who invested the capital to drill, transport, refine and sell the products.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Willclark
Originally Posted by grampi
Another question, why is it when one or two refineries go down for maintenance or whatever, prices go up nationwide? That should only affect prices in the areas those refineries supply...

A better question is, how much a gallon would you like or expect it to be? Is $1.50 more to you're liking? How about $1.25 a gallon? Is that an acceptable price for you?

Considering the amount of supply the world has right now $2 to $2.25 is plenty...

The tax man isn't the one constantly jacking prices around...

Don't talk sense. With that guy and his views oil companies should sell gasoline at a loss and go out of business. If gas was free he would complain fuel wasn't delivered to him.

I do think a lot of gas stations could easily afford to lower their prices on fuel and still make a big profit, especially when they are selling $10 to $15 car washes all day long (that cost them like a dollar each) and selling $2 chocolate bars.

The gas station doesn't make much profit on the gas, it's the place that calls the gas stations and tells them where to set the price making the profits...

"The tax man isn't the one constantly jacking prices around..."

You need to get out of Ohio more often. Taxes go up like crazy in WA and many other states.

Sounds like you should get into the gas station biz and start stacking up gold bars with your gas profits.

Gas stations aren't making much on gas.

Originally Posted by PimTac

You need to get out of Ohio more often. Taxes go up like crazy in WA and many other states.

Taxes don't go up and down every week.
Find another excuse.

Originally Posted by Dallas69

Find another excuse.

Your solution?

I'd much rather have our current situation vs having the government run it and have no gas to buy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Dallas69

Find another excuse.

Your solution?

I'd much rather have our current situation vs having the government run it and have no gas to buy.

I know prices fluctuate and supply and demand bla bla bla.
But around here prices jump 25 cents overnight and then drop a penny a day until it jumps again.
Why doesn't it jump a penny a day and drop 25 cents at a time?
Never happens.
I have always been told stations couldn't raise prices until their next tank refill.
I think I was told wrong.

Gas is cheap, always will be, looking back to the mid 1970s @$1 plus a gallon, now its only $2 plus a gallon. That is a heck of a lot cheaper then the cost of cars has gone up. Car prices up about 400% and more and people will complain about gas for them?

I notice comments from people from California but they dont count regarding the cost of gas, also many of the Northeastern states no longer count. As the price of gas isnt any more expensive there but the people voted for the wacho politicians and tax policies of their states.
So the only thing that has gone up, is the tax that they pay.

Jeff in CA pays $3.70 a gallon for gas. Alarmguy in SC pays $2.40 for a gallon of gas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back