NAPA Gold 9012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the factory filter on the Crosstrek at 28,100 miles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bbhero
Leaves, straw and grass clippings equal 99.9999999% efficiency
lol.gif

Yeah, 99.9999999% efficiency at blocking air flow.

eek.gif

Ed

At $15 a pop that seems like a lot. Amazon has many for under $10. These are not critical like the engine air filter. Remember we did not have these 5 years ago. My pickup does not have one and its pretty new.
Cheaper filter, change more often.

You can also shake and vacuum the filter. Good to check in the fall for mouses nests,

Originally Posted by Donald
These are not critical like the engine air filter. Remember we did not have these 5 years ago. My pickup does not have one and its pretty new.

Your post is a bit confusing as this is the engine air filter.

Originally Posted by badtlc
Originally Posted by Donald
These are not critical like the engine air filter. Remember we did not have these 5 years ago. My pickup does not have one and its pretty new.

Your post is a bit confusing as this is the engine air filter.

My bad, looked like a cabin air filter. Or its early and I have not had enough Diet Pepsi yet.

For these types of filters there are probably only a few manufacturers out there other than the OEM. What does it say about where it's made? I don't even think there's much difference between Wix, Fram, or any number of different house brands. Just a few manufacturers where they'll print the customer's part number on the frame. Does Napa go through Wix or through the foreign supplier? Who knows?

For the most part I don't believe that the major American filter companies actually make them or even design these plastic frame, silicone gasket filters with polyester media. It's easier for them just to buy from a supplier. I know for the funky filter for my wife's 2002 Civic, they're either made in China or Eastern Europe unless one gets the OEM one for about $30.

Simple foam frame panel filters are pretty easy to make. I suspect that Wix/Fram/etc. share the same subcontractors in Canada or Mexico. But having a plastic frame is whole different level of outlay.

lol.gif

Makes me wonder how past cars that I've owned and never changed engine filters on, look like. I have always declined the service departments offerings to change the engine filter and cabin filter, because I was not properly educated on the importance of them, and service advisers never stressed the issue. Glad I do my own basic maintenance now. IIRC, the last quote to put in a new engine filter for my Crosstrek was $60. I paid $12 and it took all but four or five minutes tops to do it myself.

BITOG has opened my eyes to the importance of oil, oil filters, engine filters, and cabin filters.

Ohh don't worry. . I was the same exact way
lol.gif

I'd bet I went like 50k miles on air filter in my old Ford Probe.... And it looked a whole lot like your picture here
smile.gif

I was a complete world champion until my early 20s... Then I figured out that I needed to do things far better to keep my stuff running right and better longer. Also by learning more I could keep myself from getting ripped off... Which has been helpful at times. Now I can at least diagnose most if not all my car problems before it even hits a repair shop. My good friends at S and B repair shop in my hometown know I can diagnose things really quite well... And they are super honest and great people. But it is helpful to them when a owner pays attention to things and has a good idea what's going on.

Originally Posted by Voleak
lol.gif

Makes me wonder how past cars that I've owned and never changed engine filters on, look like. I have always declined the service departments offerings to change the engine filter and cabin filter, because I was not properly educated on the importance of them, and service advisers never stressed the issue. Glad I do my own basic maintenance now. IIRC, the last quote to put in a new engine filter for my Crosstrek was $60. I paid $12 and it took all but four or five minutes tops to do it myself.

BITOG has opened my eyes to the importance of oil, oil filters, engine filters, and cabin filters.

Engine air filters generally aren't going to be a source of damage to the engine should the recommended replacement period be exceeded. They're just going to load up and get restricted. Most modern cars with fuel injection don't really suffer. If it gets too restricted your performance might suffer. Wait WAY too long and maybe it collapses or tears.

The biggest problem will be wide open throttle if it's too restricted. Air filters serve an important function, but frequent replacement isn't going to result in better protection.

Some use restriction gauges to determine when to change an air filter.

The NAPA Gold air filters are excellent quality and I really like their design. I would consider using a NAPA Gold air filter on any of my vehicles great choice to the OP they flow very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back