Are You A Brand Loyalist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by bbhero
Yeah it is a bit strange... I had a older yellow Purolator Pureone and it did cause that start up noise... I figured it was because it was rather old... Like 4 years old.. but I have used a Pureone of the new variety and it caused the same start up noise... The Boss does not cause this at all... One thing of note is the base plate is not correct on the Purolator Pureone... It is convex in shape. It should be concave... That may well be part of the issue. The Boss uses the correct base plate that is concave.

You mean like this one I have on my corolla right now with no start up noise?

[Linked Image]

Those old Corollas will take anything and just keep running.

Just pure curiosity, why do so many people seem to dislike SOPUS? Is it politically driven? (Like Citgo)

Yep that was it.. ol yeller...

It is strange. But it has happened. With regularity.

The Purolator Boss does just fine. Has did the old Purolator synthetic oil filter...

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Just pure curiosity, why do so many people seem to dislike SOPUS? Is it politically driven? (Like Citgo)

I'd be interested to hear that, too, because if you want oil made by a company that hasn't done some truly heinous things, you'd have to use canola oil.

You realize that every type of motor is different right ??

Not a one size fits all and they can be quite different.

Again.... Read what I said... The Boss with the correct base plate does not have that problem. The red Purolator did have the correct base plate and it was fine too...

Originally Posted by bbhero
You realize that every type of motor is different right ??

Not a one size fits all and they can be quite different.

Again.... Read what I said... The Boss with the correct base plate does not have that problem. The red Purolator did have the correct base plate and it was fine too...

I read what you said. "Yeah it is a bit strange... I had a older yellow Purolator Pureone and it did cause that start up noise."

Again... Read what I said.... It's obvious.

The Purolator red and Boss do not have that issue...

Plus the base plate is not correct on the 14610...

Read that.

And yes it is strange. But it happened. Routinely. With the yellow and the new one with the convex base plate...

For the record... I am not saying not to run a yellow or newer Pureone.. just that on my car's motor it does not do well. Start up rattle happens a lot with them.

I have a Boss filter awaiting it's time to be put on my car.

Yes to a degree. I am partial to chevron products but will buy other brands if the price is right. I don't care for rebates
but prefer a sale up front. The new 6 qt Havoline boxes do have my attention.

Originally Posted by earlyre
i guess i'm somewhat Ford loyal...I mean i just bought my second one in a row...but I've owned:

Chevy - 93 Corsica
Olds - 87 Ninety-Eight
Hyundai - Y2K Sonata
Dodge - 05 Neon
Mercury - 09 Sable
Ford - 13 C-max Hybrid

I'm only REALLY loyal to the important things...
Ketchup (heinz), Mustard (Plochmans), Miracle whip (mayo ewww), Hotdogs (Nathans), Coffee (Tim Hortons), Root Beer (A&W), Android phones and Windows PC's
Xbox and Forza, etc

Filters I go back and forth between Wix and Fram(ultra)

Here's my list FWIW. Kecthup (Red's Gold); Mustard (Maille Dijon); Hotdogs ( Hebrew National); Coffee (Starbucks Sumatra); Root Beer (Stewart's); Soda Pop (Moxie)
Microsoft Windows 8 Phones.. HiFi: Magnepan speakers, Jeff Roland Design Amps, Wadia CD ( mehh) Thorens broadcast TT, Grace F9E phono cartridge.

I like certain brands for different reasons, mainly availability and value.

For some vehicles/engines I'm picky as various oils/brands "seem" to work better (like HDEO burning off less in old small engines) others it is whatever is cheapest.

For filters I'm more picky. I prefer Wix and Fram Ultra, and MANN for the German cars.

I do stick with certain brands if I have good success with them. They have to be monitored though as brands change ownership. The recent buyout of Fram by Trico is one example. So my loyalty is not engraved in stone.

A flawed rebate program got some of us pretty upset a while back.
Add in that many UOA on Rotella come back looking worse than other comparable oils, and it's enough to pass SOPUS by.

Originally Posted by beanoil

A flawed rebate program got some of us pretty upset a while back.
Add in that many UOA on Rotella come back looking worse than other comparable oils, and it's enough to pass SOPUS by.

And so much more.

Don't know maybe because it's the number 1 in the world as a retailer for lubercation?

I was brand loyal to motor oils, namely Valvoline and Castrol, when I started driving in the late 70s. Around 2001 I gave up brand loyalty and bought whichever major brand oil, approved for the engine, at the lowest price.

As of late I've been using Kendall full synthetics in my wife's car and in my pickup. I use P66 Guardol ECT in my semi truck, because I can buy them locally at a very good price.

Every pickup I've owned have all been Fords.

For automobiles I've owned Pontiac, VW, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and Toyoya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back