2018 GMC Terrain 1.6L turbo-diesel, Whaaaat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not really look at a diesel if her DD is just city. Stop and go, constant regens, your mileage would vary but this is not great for a diesel. If she has a solid mix of highway, then you could probably realize some savings.

Those diesels, if I recall, use timing belts, they need DEF, fuel filters, the cost differential has really narrowed between them and gassers.

I love my diesel 3500 but it is not an economic DD. On the open highway and with a trailer though, nothing will touch it.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Just wait until Ford starts pushing their Romanian 3 banger EcoBoost engines. It's the trend.

Also, that three cylinder has CD so it runs on two cylinders at times.

I have 72,000 miles on my 3-cylinder EcoBoost and it's an excellent engine. Flawless so far. Smooth, light and efficient.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Why didn't they go with the 2.8 that went into the Colorado?
Probably because they are trying to sell the Colorado and a 2.8 Terrain would compete with it. I also long for the days when GM would put an iron duke in anything that had four wheels or floated.

I have had problems galore with the emission systems on my diesel vans. I have spent thousands extra to keep them running. Gasoline would have been a lot cheaper. Finally got rid of them. I will NEVER own another diesel again!!

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Why didn't they go with the 2.8 that went into the Colorado?

Yes why, weight? At least 2.0 would be needed to get any interest here. The small turboed engines make the commies quiver.

Originally Posted by walterjay
I have had problems galore with the emission systems on my diesel vans. I have spent thousands extra to keep them running. Gasoline would have been a lot cheaper. Finally got rid of them. I will NEVER own another diesel again!!

All post 2009 have SCR. This new third generation SCR is better. I had 1st gen. SCR system on BMW and it was nightmare. To make things worse, BMW to keep perfect weight distribution installed two tanks, and with that lots of plumbing in between.
Diagnosis of what is exactly wrong is probably the worst. Good thing is that many parts fit all these diesels as they are jointly developed.

A local flat bed tow operator just bought a Ford v10 instead of a diesel, cited the expense of todays diesels. He hauled the 74 GMC I recently bought and the V10 was impressive, wouldn`t know it was there.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a19671363/2018-gmc-terrain-diesel-awd-test-review/

Wife found left over 2018 awd version (not 2wd) w/ the crash avoidance nanny stuff on it for about $9000 off msrp. Diesels don't sell real well around here.

Told her I'd research it. It'd be her daily driver. She's coming out of a badly ragged out 2008 RAV4 so anything is a step up ...

Run away as fast as you can.

9-10 second 0-60 would keep me away, as would diesel emission equipment. [Yes I know, my vehicles wish they were that fast!]

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Wife found left over 2018 awd version (not 2wd) w/ the crash avoidance nanny stuff on it for about $9000 off msrp. Diesels don't sell real well around here.

Told her I'd research it. It'd be her daily driver.

She may want to research what type of car they give as a loaner vehicle when the Terrain is constantly in for warranty work.

We were given mostly Buick Veranos and GMC trucks.

This diesel 240 ft-lbs of torque on a CUV that only weighs 3,800 lbs isn't bad. ( I get 200 ft-lbs in my sister '18 Equinox, and its decent after the turbo lag, 1.5L gas engine.)
Diesels are best during hiway cruising as most of us know, and truckers know. MPG is awesome there, you can expect 37 to 43 MPG cruising easy.

I have the sister '18 Equinox, and the chassis (steering, handling) is very good, although the 1.5L turbo gasoline engine is weak. The gas engine is the choice for a lot of in-town driving, and not the greatest for highway trips (33 MPG on hiway trips, 24 MPG around town for my 1.5L turbo gasoline).
If you want lots of power, then the 2.0T gas engine is there.

For $9,000 off sticker, this is a good deal. Solid vehicle. A lot of Euro Opel German engineering inside. GM got rid of Opel in 2017, and most of the parts on these new Equinox/Terrains/Envisions come from Opel. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-platforms/d2xx/

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
he may want to research what type of car they give as a loaner vehicle when the Terrain is constantly in for warranty work

Funny, JD Power has that vehicle rated as being very "Dependable", and I've never had any warranty claim on my 1.5 years old '18 Equinox.
This model is above average for all in that class.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

Funny, JD Power has that vehicle rated as being very "Dependable", and I've never had any warranty claim on my 1.5 years old '18 Equinox.
This model is above average for all in that class.

I had a 2011 Terrain that was a great vehicle. No problems with it either.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
This diesel 240 ft-lbs of torque on a CUV that only weighs 3,800 lbs isn't bad. ( I get 200 ft-lbs in my sister '18 Equinox, and its decent after the turbo lag, 1.5L gas engine.)
Diesels are best during hiway cruising as most of us know, and truckers know. MPG is awesome there, you can expect 37 to 43 MPG cruising easy.

I have the sister '18 Equinox, and the chassis (steering, handling) is very good, although the 1.5L turbo gasoline engine is weak. The gas engine is the choice for a lot of in-town driving, and not the greatest for highway trips (33 MPG on hiway trips, 24 MPG around town for my 1.5L turbo gasoline).
If you want lots of power, then the 2.0T gas engine is there.

For $9,000 off sticker, this is a good deal. Solid vehicle. A lot of Euro Opel German engineering inside. GM got rid of Opel in 2017, and most of the parts on these new Equinox/Terrains/Envisions come from Opel. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-platforms/d2xx/

That thing will outrun any RAV4, Forester or CR-V.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
V6 RAV and Forester XT turbo?

I am talking about current offerings.
And that little GMC has torque on par with old RAV4 V6, and far lower. That 2GR-FE is so lazy at lower end it is painful. So, would not be surprised that GMC at rolling speed actually has faster acceleration, and that is actually what matters in everyday traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back